GlenPettit

Historical Photos #6

formariz

Thank you for posting it.Very interesting stuff.

Jerry77

Thanks for posting Glen....I love the old photos...not so much the ones that show the evil in the world, but we can't ignore it...as much as things change, they don't seem to change that much....:think:

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:           Glen, you come up with some fascinating photos for us to view,       :thanks:

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup: Do love those tracked Model T's

Related image

Image result for tracked model t

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

GlenPettit

I especially like to look closely & slowly at these old pictures, at what's in or is happening in the background.

Like, of the thousands of girls in the Nuremberg photo, their vest colors show their old 30's political party flag,

or in the Kings photo, two 'kings' have their sash on differently that the other seven, or real wicker baskets on the store counter.

Glen

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 1

Daddy Don

Love it want more:happy-jumpeveryone: 

cafoose

r356c

Thanks Glen!

The photo of Supreme Commander MacArthur accepting the unconditional surrender of the Japanese armed forces brought a memory.

My wife and I traveled to Hawaii some years back.

The first thing I did was to take her to the USS Arizona Memorial to pay our respects.

Then I took her aboard the USS Missouri and pointed out the plaque attached to the deck showing where the signing was done.

She did not get it, but I tried to explain the deep significance of the sites we had visited.

The USS Arizona was a somewhat isolationist, innocent America.

The USS Missouri was America as a global super power.

The book ends of a war that still define 'old history' from 'modern history'.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

KC9KAS

Thanks Glen...Lots of world history at a glance.

• Like 1

857 horse

these pics are worth more than several thousand words

• Like 2

Dan693

Interesting pics....thanks!

FYI the pic from the Titantic was actually taken on board the CS Maccay Bennett after the Titantic had sunk.

Here's a link.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/news/im-a-celebrity-star-martin-roberts-reveals-how-his-grandad-rescued-titanic-survivors-35371752.html

• Like 1

Pullstart
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:17 AM, r356c said:

Thanks Glen!

The photo of Supreme Commander MacArthur accepting the unconditional surrender of the Japanese armed forces brought a memory.

My wife and I traveled to Hawaii some years back.

The first thing I did was to take her to the USS Arizona Memorial to pay our respects.

Then I took her aboard the USS Missouri and pointed out the plaque attached to the deck showing where the signing was done.

She did not get it, but I tried to explain the deep significance of the sites we had visited.

The USS Arizona was a somewhat isolationist, innocent America.

The USS Missouri was America as a global super power.

The book ends of a war that still define 'old history' from 'modern history'.

We went to Hawaii April, 2017 for my sister in law's wedding.  At first, my thoughts were "We have to go all the way to Hawaii for a wedding"  then shortly before we went, they turned to "We're going to Hawaii.  we are there just over a week and the wedding is just a couple day's work.  Let's make the trip worth it!" 

We did a premium guided tour of Pearl Harbor and learned so much about the attack, the island, geography of how it all went down.  And to think all that had happened, the start and the finish were just hundreds of yards away.  Humbling experience, in short.  Not enough time to take it all in though.  I thank every soul who is willing to lay his or her life down for our freedom.

• Excellent 2

r356c

My mother lost her brother to a kamakazi attack of his B-29 Superfortress bomber over Japan in WWII.

As a preschooler,  I remember asking my grandmother why she had a photo of a large airplane (a B-29) on her hallway wall.

She did not answer, and I was given the distinct impression that was a subject to not bring up again.

A few years before my mothers passing, I was able to take her on a tour of Fifi, an airworthy B-29, when it came through Orlando.

As SpaceX's Falcon Heavy waits on the pad at the Cape, it is very easy for me to trace a finger back to the German V-2's in Peenemünde.

I grew up next door to a 'captured' German rocket engineer that came over with the Wernher von Braun group.

His daughter was my age, and we were quite fond of each other as I recall.