ebinmaine

It's Workshop Reorganizing Day !

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ebinmaine  I figured out your problem TOOOOOOOOOOOOO many bicycles  not enough :wh: . If any part of of my workshop was as neat as your before videos I would be in 7th heaven. Don't throw any thing away you may need it tomorrow.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:sad-bored: Man, how can you possibly top that...    

what's next Eric, cleaning the bathroom video's?   :teasing-poke:

Image result for hello kitty slippers

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Haha 7

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, formariz said:

There you go. Very satisfying feeling when shop is nice and tidy.

YESSS !!!!

43 minutes ago, tunahead72 said:

Eric, I'm not hearing the tunes very well for some reason, maybe you need to turn the volume up a bit?  Details on the speakers and such? :)

Oh yeah, shop's looking good! :thumbs:

I didn't have the volume up much at all.

It's quite a powerful set-up for the small space it's in.

I'm not even sure of the wattage output but I'm sure it's at least 200.

The receiver is a Yamaha and the speakers are Fishers. Something like a 12" main woofer and then 3 smaller speakers in each cabinet.

I can't remember where I procured the receiver but it was a freebee ... maybe CL?...  the speakers came from the Free section at the transfer station. 

I had to spend about 5 bucks on wire... I guess it was worth that.    :P

22 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@ebinmaine  I figured out your problem TOOOOOOOOOOOOO many bicycles  not enough :wh: . If any part of of my workshop was as neat as your before videos I would be in 7th heaven. Don't throw any thing away you may need it tomorrow.

HAHAHA...

Yeah I may thin the herd a bit on the bikes.

I don't know if it's very easy to see in the video but there's a blue bike hanging there... I bought it new back in April of 1989. Couple pretty neat "rides" hangin' in there.

• Like 2

squonk
1 hour ago, tunahead72 said:

Eric, I'm not hearing the tunes very well for some reason, maybe you need to turn the volume up a bit?  Details on the speakers and such? :)

Oh yeah, shop's looking good! :thumbs:

Hope he's got some Trini Lopez. Nothing gets you working on a Horse faster than a little " La Bamba" by Trini!

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

formariz
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I didn't have the volume up much at all.

It's quite a powerful set-up for the small space it's in.

I'm not even sure of the wattage output but I'm sure it's at least 200.

The receiver is a Yamaha and the speakers are Fishers. Something like a 12" main woofer and then 3 smaller speakers in each cabinet.

I can't remember where I procured the receiver but it was a freebee ... maybe CL?...  the speakers came from the Free section at the transfer station. 

I had to spend about 5 bucks on wire... I guess it was worth that.    :P

Tunes in workshop pretty important here too.All part of quality of life.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, formariz said:

Tunes in workshop pretty important here too.All part of quality of life.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

19richie66

You inspired me. I threw out some old fuel line today. I have 6 bikes in my shed too. I have my dad’s old Fuji 10 speed he rode in the senior games back when he actually rode. I also have an early Cannondale R500 I need to sell. Its a classic and needs someone to ride it. I got it on a mountain bike trade. Love my bikes just don’t have time to ride. Used to rip it up when i had this. 

99E7C93F-90D4-4DDF-9D39-F7F845594CC7.jpeg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

Hope he's got some Trini Lopez. Nothing gets you working on a Horse faster than a little " La Bamba" by Trini!

I'm a metal head by nature but I like a pretty good variety.

5 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

You inspired me. I threw out some old fuel line today. I have 6 bikes in my shed too. I have my dad’s old Fuji 10 speed he rode in the senior games back when he actually rode. I also have an early Cannondale R500 I need to sell. Its a classic and needs someone to ride it. I got it on a mountain bike trade. Love my bikes just don’t have time to ride. Used to rip it up when i had this. 

99E7C93F-90D4-4DDF-9D39-F7F845594CC7.jpeg

I'm glad I'm the inspiration of your fuel line chucking behaviors.

Love the old large tube Cannondales. I've always had a thing for them but never owned one.

My own mtn bike is a Shogun.

I also have an aluminum Trek, a GT, a Diamondback, and a couple others my honey has in there.

The road bikes are: a nearly pristine 1984 Shogun Large frame 12 speed, a Columbia, a very nice "survivor" Univega, another Univega, a couple others I can't remember...

19richie66

Smooth jazz and a lot of funk here. ‘80s works also.

• Like 1

formariz

Probably another good topic to start. What kind of stereo do you use in the shop and what you listen to there.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
Just now, formariz said:

Probably another good topic to start. What kind of stereo do you use in the shop and what you listen to there.

There is one for " what are you listening to?"

Shop stereo could be interesting.....

Ed Kennell

I got here late and I am amazed at the change.            I worked several days collecting and sorting 1200 lbs of scrap in my shop....My before and after look exactly the same.:huh:

• Haha 3

Cvans
25 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I also have an aluminum Trek, a GT,

Be careful with that bike. About ten years ago a friend had one of those and it broke at the head tube. Luckily he wasn't hurt and they gave him a new bike. Also he was what I would call a light weight person. 

Achto
12 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Dan @Achto always says you want to walk out of his shop you have to walk in backwards! :lol:

Once in a while I will haul a truckload of stuff away, just to make room to set a pail on the floor. :ROTF: I have a hard time getting rid of my treasures.

Great job cleaning up your shop Eric! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Big_Red_Fred

Well i best get the shop cleaned up before you all think i'm full of it ?:twocents-02cents:1af2167b4b71a301049f2f0b72e6eee9--outhouse-ideas-funny-p.jpg.e18e0c8839a92530b90b33a21b55df82.jpg

• Haha 8

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Big_Red_Fred You are not right in the head.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

PeacemakerJack

Great job on the cleaning and organizing! Enjoy your success because chances are that when you tear into that “C”,  things will get a little messy again!:tools-hammerdrill:

you have me thinking about my music setup in the shop.  I think I might have to wire something up. I’ve been cheating (or wimping out) and using my phone a a Bluetooth speaker...:music-listening: As Tim Taylor was so fond of saying, it’s time for “More Power!”  I would like to see what you guys have done for your sound systems.  BRF probably has a 1980’s BoomBox on the wall rocking his favorite cassette’s:ychain:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sarge

I still mostly use an older Aiwa boom box in the shop - if I get too wound up on Alice I just grab the Bosch power box 360 - mine is the 50 watt Canadian market model - rocks it out pretty well and use it outside a lot when I'm welding or working on projects . I still have my old Yamaha RXV890 receiver and the Paradigm speakers, as well as my old 12" subs I built that weigh 150lbs each and the old Pioneer non-switching class D amp that drives them @300w . Need to get it running again - miss those days in the winter when I fire up the really loud stuff - I'm pushing around 700w of pure RMS power with what I have but the old Yamaha has become a victim of the dust in this old place - a lot of her switches need cleaned badly. Gonna take a couple cans of Deoxit and a few days...ugh. I'd still love to score one of Carver's old original 1800w cubes, especially the hard to get Signature series - nothing else hammers bass as cleanly as those things but they rarely ever come up for sale unless they are damaged. Wish I'd been smart enough to buy a new one when they were still available, that was dumb in hindsight.

Sarge

formariz
54 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I still mostly use an older Aiwa boom box in the shop - if I get too wound up on Alice I just grab the Bosch power box 360 - mine is the 50 watt Canadian market model - rocks it out pretty well and use it outside a lot when I'm welding or working on projects . I still have my old Yamaha RXV890 receiver and the Paradigm speakers, as well as my old 12" subs I built that weigh 150lbs each and the old Pioneer non-switching class D amp that drives them @300w . Need to get it running again - miss those days in the winter when I fire up the really loud stuff - I'm pushing around 700w of pure RMS power with what I have but the old Yamaha has become a victim of the dust in this old place - a lot of her switches need cleaned badly. Gonna take a couple cans of Deoxit and a few days...ugh. I'd still love to score one of Carver's old original 1800w cubes, especially the hard to get Signature series - nothing else hammers bass as cleanly as those things but they rarely ever come up for sale unless they are damaged. Wish I'd been smart enough to buy a new one when they were still available, that was dumb in hindsight.

Sarge

Pretty interesting to see what some us of a certain age group still have around . I still have a couple of Carver M400s that I used to drive two pairs of Bose 901 series v.

I think I'll start a new thread later about shop stereos so we don't hijack this one unless someone beats me to it.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, formariz said:

Pretty interesting to see what some us of a certain age group still have around . I still have a couple of Carver M400s that I used to drive two pairs of Bose 901 series v.

I think I'll start a new thread later about shop stereos so we don't hijack this one unless someone beats me to it.

Never worry about hijacking one of my threads. I don't mind in the least. In fact, I get quite a kick out of all the cross hatched information that we come up with about a thousand different subjects.

Looking forward to the new thread though. I think that would be a really good one.

Big_Red_Fred
20 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Big_Red_Fred You are not right in the head.

I 2nd that motion LOL

19 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Great job on the cleaning and organizing! Enjoy your success because chances are that when you tear into that “C”,  things will get a little messy again!:tools-hammerdrill:

you have me thinking about my music setup in the shop.  I think I might have to wire something up. I’ve been cheating (or wimping out) and using my phone a a Bluetooth speaker...:music-listening: As Tim Taylor was so fond of saying, it’s time for “More Power!”  I would like to see what you guys have done for your sound systems.  BRF probably has a 1980’s BoomBox on the wall rocking his favorite cassette’s:ychain:

I have a old 8 track out of a 68 Camaro RS, playn The James Gang Rides Again LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Sarge

I have some old, really unusual equipment - the most odd being a Spatializer HTMS2510 3-D stereo spacializer that still works. It takes the stereo incoming signal and widens it further in certain frequencies - makes the rear surround channel sound pretty interesting off the old Yamaha RXV-890 unit...lol. It uses 3 different levels of depth widening - gets too hollow on the highest setting but was an interesting idea at the time. Older 4 channel stereo wide recordings sound pretty cool on it but most tapes are too old to work very well anymore and digital remasters lose that effect too much or make it too "tinny". I remember years ago a repair guy in my hometown that owned one of the Quadraphonic systems - that one was pretty cool for it's time and far ahead of anything else back in the day.

Hang onto those Carver amps and make sure they are used on a high quality line protector - they are quite valuable now days but the collector market for a lot of this stuff is dwindling quickly. The new generations have no appreciation of heavyweight hard equipment of yesterday - they want MP3 digital files on some mini player/speaker setup and call it good - they are really missing out. My old first car ended up with some of the first ever subwoofer's used in the Midwest - that amplifier from Coustic cost me a fortune at the time and was one of the first high-current push/pull type trunk amps back in the day . It was pushing the old Pyle 12" drivers that I still have here, the last of the pair has rotted it's voice coil out - they were a custom made test pair from their tech department that a guy was selling at some of the Ham Fests we used to have around here, he had a buddy that did their R&D work and was an engineer. This pair is really heavy, used far oversized voice coils and had an extremely long travel for that period - they destroyed every seal and trim piece in the back of my old Dodge in short order.

At one time I used to compete in the mobile audio crowd - it got way too far out of hand and I gave up trying to keep up with the others at the time, some guys were showing up and removing windshields and such to prevent breakage, lol..

If I ever hit the Lottery - I'd be making the trip to Springfield Illinois to pay these guys a visit - http://legacyaudio.com/

I've heard some of their older Wisper speakers, all I can say is it's an experience like no other, but comes with a staggering price tag as well.

Sarge

formariz
16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I have some old, really unusual equipment - the most odd being a Spatializer HTMS2510 3-D stereo spacializer that still works

Funny that you have that, not many are aware of anything like it. I also still have a working Carver Holographic Autocorrelator that worked wonders with the Bose Direct Reflecting  901s. I have been an avid Audiophile since I was a teenager.I seem to get emotionally attached to my stuff so I almost never get rid of anything. Life however takes over after a while and one kind of gets sidetracked from it , only in later years the interest re surging, now maturing to McIntosh and tube gear.

Sarge

Those Carver Holographic units are pretty rare now, about the same as the Spacializer - pretty odd off-market equipment. Getting into the old Mcintosh stuff and tube is going to hurt - it's also tough to find stuff that hasn't been abused or allowed to rot internally given it's age. I always loved the warmth of tube amps and higher end ones having such a crazy clarity for what they are - there is that loss in the digital equipment that just doesn't compare and it's not what the artists wanted their sound to turn into. Some of the newer re-mastering is getting a lot better, they've gone great lengths not to lose the feel of the recording and that's not easy in the digital realm. Legacy is one of those odd companies that puts power and clarity into an equal balance - you really have to hear it once , it's staggering. Man, the stuff I've forgotten about over the years as I've gotten away from Audiophile stuff - thanks for that...

Sarge