r1jakecfd

Good Quality LED Lightbar for 520 Snow Cab

r1jakecfd

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for a good quality LED lightbar lightbar to put on the snowcab on my 520. I’m just wondering which ones are good for their price and which ones to stay away from?

Thanks,

John

classicdmax

Rigid industries imo is the way to go. Pricey, but a quality product. I use they’re dually flood on my jeep, and dually side shooters on truck.

• Like 1

WHX??

I got this one dirt cheap, 22 inch I think..... off fleabay and real satistifed. 25 clams tops and figured I get a year out or three out of it did good. The ones on the back... 4 for not much  more than 20 off the jungle site. Whipped out this control panel for running them. Cigarette plug in on the far right for the 15 buck TSC beacon.

20161219_182138.jpg

20161219_184600.jpg

20161218_084111.jpg

Do a search on cab lights Jake and you'll find other ideas.

Edited by WHX14
  • Like 2

Dan693

I got my 15" LED light bar at Walmart. I'm very happy with it. It's super bright and lights up a large area in front.

I figured if I didnt like it it would be easy to return but I'm keeping it.

$45

They also sell a 20" - 24" version.

20180115_093155.jpg

• Like 3

BaySide1

about light bars:

The light Bar Installed on my 520H is wicked bright

is that a good thing?

not necessarily.

When blowing snow the light bouncing off the blowing snow washes out my line of sight.

Seriously thinking of getting two smaller bars and mounting towards the out side of the cab"s corners.

20171121_140948.jpg

r1jakecfd
5 minutes ago, BaySide1 said:

about light bars:

The light Bar Installed on my 520H is wicked bright

is that a good thing?

not necessarily.

When blowing snow the light bouncing off the blowing snow washes out my line of sight.

Seriously thinking of getting two smaller bars and mounting towards the out side of the cab"s corners.

20171121_140948.jpg

I’m sure it is bright! It’s like using high beams in the car during a blizzard. I think the other problem is the color they throw. They have gotten better but are not a “warm” light at all. I just ordered these to replace the 4 halogen worklights on my cab.

LED Light Bar, Northpole Light [2 Pack] 18W CREE Flood LED Pods LED Work Lights Driving Fog Lights for Off-road, Truck, Car, ATV, SUV, Jeep https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EJWB62U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YtFzAb95KW0K8

I’m hoping they work out but if not, they are only $13

Sarge

Color temperature is tough with the cheaper leds - for snow you need to be well below 4000k color temperature and down around 3k is optimal. Problem is , there are very few made in that color range. Some of the colored lenses help, but the base color of the led is the key as the use of a colored lens kills the lamps power output. Best lamps I've ever own and still have in service are the old 5" PIAA 85w Ion fog lamps - they will shine through the heaviest fog or heavy, driving snow storm like none other. Problem with them is the current draw - they would beat up the charging system in any of our machines unless you added a small external alternator. I wish they were a bit smaller - I'd install those in a heartbeat on my '14 Dodge pickup since it's fog lights are pathetic at best and the old Cruiser is going away soon.

PIAA's aren't cheap - just like Rigid Industries , but their quality is second to none. My Ion lamps still have the original bulbs in them - pretty amazing considering they are about 10yrs old and have a lot of hours on them from the old Samurai trail/street rig I had that beat to death off road on a regular basis - I used them a lot . PIAA has been a leader in lighting technology and now they've hit it out of the ball park with a rear-firing led design. This better utilizes the led's light output and gives the reflector the ability to better focus the light beam - exactly what I've wanted for years, but the price tag is , uh, painful....

Color temp is spot-on for fog/snow conditions @2500k .

http://www.piaa.com/led.htm?Attribs=87

For snow removal during a storm or heavy fog - this would be my choice -

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/800-PIAA-RF-Series-6-LED-Light-Bar-Yellow-Fog-Beam-Kit-SAE-Compliant.aspx

Modern cars with led headlights use the same rear-firing technology in a tightly focused projector style lamp - and they truly work excellent.

Sarge

r1jakecfd
7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Color temperature is tough with the cheaper leds - for snow you need to be well below 4000k color temperature and down around 3k is optimal. Problem is , there are very few made in that color range. Some of the colored lenses help, but the base color of the led is the key as the use of a colored lens kills the lamps power output. Best lamps I've ever own and still have in service are the old 5" PIAA 85w Ion fog lamps - they will shine through the heaviest fog or heavy, driving snow storm like none other. Problem with them is the current draw - they would beat up the charging system in any of our machines unless you added a small external alternator. I wish they were a bit smaller - I'd install those in a heartbeat on my '14 Dodge pickup since it's fog lights are pathetic at best and the old Cruiser is going away soon.

PIAA's aren't cheap - just like Rigid Industries , but their quality is second to none. My Ion lamps still have the original bulbs in them - pretty amazing considering they are about 10yrs old and have a lot of hours on them from the old Samurai trail/street rig I had that beat to death off road on a regular basis - I used them a lot . PIAA has been a leader in lighting technology and now they've hit it out of the ball park with a rear-firing led design. This better utilizes the led's light output and gives the reflector the ability to better focus the light beam - exactly what I've wanted for years, but the price tag is , uh, painful....

Color temp is spot-on for fog/snow conditions @2500k .

http://www.piaa.com/led.htm?Attribs=87

For snow removal during a storm or heavy fog - this would be my choice -

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/800-PIAA-RF-Series-6-LED-Light-Bar-Yellow-Fog-Beam-Kit-SAE-Compliant.aspx

Modern cars with led headlights use the same rear-firing technology in a tightly focused projector style lamp - and they truly work excellent.

Sarge

Ouch, those are expensive but perfectly suited for snow removal. I’m a Firefighter and all the new LED’s are really overwhelming. When we pull up at a scene behind another truck it’s really blinding. I’m going to try out the cheapo worklights and go from there. If they’re too bright I’ll just drive by feel!🤣

Huntingtown520hc

How many amps are you pulling? I was thinking about adding a 120w 22inch  light bar and similar rear floods to my 520hc.  Not sure if it can handle it.. I have a 6 gang rocker switch to tie it all together.

here is the link to the light bar

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Z63QYB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_11?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

here is the link to the rear floods

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081DTRC46/ref=ox_sc_act_image_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

lynnmor
On 7/26/2021 at 8:02 PM, Huntingtown520hc said:

How many amps are you pulling? I was thinking about adding a 120w 22inch  light bar and similar rear floods to my 520hc.  Not sure if it can handle it.. I have a 6 gang rocker switch to tie it all together.

You have a 240 watt charging system to power existing lights, the ignition and charge the battery.  Of course the system cannot provide the full 240 watts at all times because of idle time and battery condition.  I would add much lower wattage lamps and swap out existing to lower wattage LED's.

WHX??

This is what's on my 520....see post #4 above.  I forget what wattage the all the lights are but they are probably over the wattage you are looking at. I go big or go home! :) I go by amp draw with every thing running. This is what Mr Ohm has to say about things which is way over your charge capacity. 

Screenshot 2021-07-28 085526.png

However Mr Ohm is wrong as the lights you are looking at are rated in led equivalent so you can't plug your total wattage into the law. I have yet to see light bars where they list the amps they take so the only way for me is to actually measure. 

Here's the real proof all my lights running.... guessing close to 400 watts equivalent and a little over 7 amps draw. Not even half of the 20 amp a 520 has to offer.. All fused at 10 amps and never blows a fuse.

Yah I know Squonky it's a UEI but she's battle worn and doesn't lie! 

Be warned tho @ 6k color they will glare off snow. Especially if the wind is whipping snow around. 4k colors hard to find tho in bars except for the stock front lights in switching to PAR-36's. More info on that here 4411 to PAR LED Headlight Swap Out. - Restorations, Modifications, & Customizations - RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

20161219_192006.jpg

BTW @Huntingtown520hc I put those same lights you listed on my side x side with excellent results. Good price on them too! 

Edited by WHX24

lynnmor
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

However Mr Ohm is wrong as the lights you are looking at are rated in led equivalent so you can't plug your total wattage into the law. I have yet to see light bars where they list the amps they take so the only way for me is to actually measure. 

One review said this: It claims to be a 120W light and at 12.5V, it was pulling 9.7A through the ammeter, so at least with the light I received, that claim is valid.

Amps times volts equals watts, no special calculator needed.  (9.7 x 12.5 = 121.25)

I do agree that many LED lamps do not give the specifications that make sense.  We only need the watts (or whatever way you like to play the numbers), so an intelligent choice can be made.

Huntingtown520hc

This is why I love this group… all great recommendations… gives me a lot to think about.. the 4 amp draw on 400 watts of led light has me rethinking the configuration I was considering …

WHX??
23 minutes ago, Huntingtown520hc said:

This is why I love this group… 

Why I am a supporter :handgestures-thumbupright:

I wouldn't be one bit afraid to pile on some leds on a PPG charging system although I do run the bigger CCA batteries on my snow movers. Want them to start in the extreme cold ya know. Just check your light setup with a DMM for amp drawn and fuse right off the batt accordingly. The pit fall is the regulator on a PPG of any size has been know to fail. Mostly overcharging and cooking  batteries in  my experience so just watch that. Also keep an eye on the nine pin ... that's where trouble starts on these girls with amp draw. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Huntingtown520hc

What gauge wire is everyone using to wire their lights?  I have a six gang rocker switch and I plan on running a inline fuse from the battery to the gang switch and then run wire from the lights to the gang switch .. the gang switch is wired with 18 gauge wire. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BCQY8PF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Handy Don
19 minutes ago, Huntingtown520hc said:

What gauge wire is everyone using to wire their lights?  I have a six gang rocker switch and I plan on running a inline fuse from the battery to the gang switch and then run wire from the lights to the gang switch .. the gang switch is wired with 18 gauge wire. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BCQY8PF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do the math for the total current draw for your lights (battery to gang switch) then for each switched light. Check the distances and then look at this chart. (Note that at the maximum distance/amps for a given gauge, the loss of voltage can be 10%).  Unless you have an awfully long wire run or some serious amperage, 18ga will cover you. 

I tend to use 16 to assure that I have l little or no loss and to account for any iffy connections.

Here is the chart for 5% loss limit.

Edited by Handy Don

WHX??

Holy smokes Hunting you gonna light her up for the holidays? :text-merryxmas: Lol

We is gonna want :text-coolphotos: of yer set up when done!

I would run properly fused  12 to the panel then 16 Ga out to the lights but 18 might be ok. I have a tendency to wire heavy so a better show when the smoke gets let out.... :lol:

Interesting on new stuff, cars & trucks & tractors,  out there these days how small the gauge the wire is. Some looks to be smaller than 20 ga. :confusion-shrug:

I have a newer Z turn that would need a microscope to strip & reterminate some of the wiring in her

when she starts giving grief.