Ed Kennell

Ice Out on the Susquehanna River.

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool!

How far on-shore does the ice typically come? Is this common every year or unusual? Roads close due to the ice blocking them?

Just curious...

Ed Kennell

The road in this area  runs  parallel  50 -80 yards from the shore line.    In the summer season, this strip between the road and river is  full of campers, gazebos, docks, etc. Mostly all is removed before freeze up.       I have seen the Ice close the road 3-4 times in 50 years.   On the land side of the road, the elevation rises rapidly and all the permanent homes are built on the higher levels, so they normally do not suffer ice or water damage.   

• Like 3

953 nut

:unsure:               If that mess freezes it will be tough sledding for ice fishing and snow mobiles.  

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

There is quit a few Ice sailors in the area and it was good smooth sailing up until a couple weeks ago when the temps rose and the snow pac up North melted blowing up the ice rink.

800px-Iceboat.jpg

Not my picture.

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA

I grew up close to the Safe Harbor dam.  I've seen this ice back up many times. At its worst, I've chunks of ice the size of a house out there.  Really dangerous, especially to the idiots who try to walk it.  The ice shifts and they are gone.  I can't image the pressure that is on the dam.

• Like 2

12 hp Kohler

I go across the Susquehanna route 30 bridge to school every day and the ice keeps getting higher from the backup. Looks really cool when the ice is all choppy. 

Edited by 12 hp Kohler
  • Like 4

JC 1965

WOW  !!  The force of nature always amazes me. Great photos Ed. Thanks for sharing.   :thumbs2: 

Ed Kennell

Took a drive to the river today.  There is some flooding, but the road is still open.

5a6d2bc1bd396_IMG_0046(4).JPG.2f0149b5dc6cae0012d4984f1d456a59.JPG5a6d2be9b7e2a_IMG_0045(4).JPG.065ed94b8abf3a34e9259f1be1427ba7.JPG5a6d2bceca389_IMG_0047(1).JPG.38e1f5a1007dfb403a7ba66e18144cdb.JPG5a6d2cd62ad6f_IMG_0043(4).JPG.c03460864446263d8ed0c76f07ce3eec.JPG

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks for the pictures Ed , ole man winter can stir up a lot of trouble .