pfrederi

Quick LED Lighting project

pfrederi

I have toyed with adding some better lights to one of my snow horses., Charger 12  Got a pair of the LEDs Sarge mentioned ($15.00 a pair) however I dindn't want to drill any holes or otherwise damage a very nice hood.  Magnets might not be secure enough.  Came up with this idea yesterday while I was taking a break from my Sundstrand Motion control arm problem.  Found I had a piece of 22ga sheet steel.  That would be kind of thin so I cut out two pieces with a hand nibbler.  Removed the existing headlight assembly and used the 6 holes to secure the double plate. Put some fender washers on the mounting bolt to spread the load.  Got it together and discovered because the grill slants back  I couldn't get  the lights aimed up far enough, had to turn them over. (and drill a third pass though for the wire).  Will put some sealant around the wire entrance.  Lights aim slightly out from center as the hood is a bit rounded but that will not be a big issue. These are mostly "To be better seen" lights i don't plow that much in the dark.

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

OK not super scientific but I think they are a whole lot brighter.  She and the blower horse side by side ..guess which of the last two pics is tIMG_0156.JPG.f06211c31967d466d8c994fc45920912.JPGhe LED

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

PeacemakerJack

May not be purdy but no one can argue with the functional results!!!:thanks: for sharing!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Between old military vehicles, farm tractors and Wheel Horses too many times i have come across otherwise sound sheet metal that has been butchered putting on lights or whatever.  This horse could go back to original and no one would know.

and for $15 looks aren't that important.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Sarge

Those led's are about the best bang for the buck I've found yet - and far more durable than you'd believe. I doubt there's room, but maybe you could mount them on the inside of the hood ? It would look better overall, but you sure can't beat the light output compared to even a high powered 1156 led upgrade bulb in a stock housing. I'm leaning towards an ROPD versus trying to upgrade something on the hood of my units - plus it gets the light up high where can do the most good, especially for snow removal and mowing in the dark as I end up doing so often due to work. I applaud how you mounted them - nothing I hate worse than having to fix a hood from someone that is far too happy to use a drill bit...

Sarge

• Like 2