ebinmaine

New-to-me 1974 C-160-8 has arrived !!

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:             Good worker, can't say I have ever seen a trailer hitch with the tong hanging down at the front.

20180120_153604.jpg.6013189b674546facd82a0e213ae790d.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

a trailer hitch with the tong hanging down at the front.

I haven't the foggiest idea why that's there... Hoping someone will at least have a theory.

gwest_ca

When you take the solenoid off interested in knowing what the Kohler serial number is. Think it is under it.

Garry

JoeM

The metal looks pretty straight for a machine of that age. Maybe a good bath and a rub down would work wonders.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

It really has been abused but it looks like a good contender for a makeover. 

That is in worst shape then the first one I got it was a C160 hydro. Turns out to be the best horse I got. I really love that 16hp monster. 

• Like 2

Tankman

Great project! Hitch? Not a clue, never saw one like that.

Great engine!

Good luck with your very worthwhile project. Be sure to update the forum with your progress.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

20180120_153552.jpg.b6476fabbb6502d1f74dff6c84118bae.jpg

What kind of hitch is this ???

One of those rare hitches.   Called a BENTONE

• Haha 9

Vinylguy
54 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

When you take the solenoid off interested in knowing what the Kohler serial number is. Think it is under it.

Garry

My 73 16 hp auto had the solenoid mounted over the serial number decal also.:think:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@ebinmaine You say the "dip-stick" under the seats just spins...I would imagine since it is an 8 speed it would have a 1/2" pipe thread with a nipple threaded into the top of the transmission and a plug with a dip-stick welded to it to check the rear-end lube.

Will it spin completely out of the housing?

• Like 2

Sparky

I like it! Did it come with a plow? I see a plow/tiller bracket was included.

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Sometime in the next few days I'll pop it off to clean it and try to get the key switch working. I might remember to have a camera handy then.

13 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

It really has been abused but it looks like a good contender for a makeover. 

There really is A LOT of wear and tear in places where parts join and move. Hour meter shows under 900 but it seems Far higher or very hard usage.

13 hours ago, Tankman said:

Good luck with your very worthwhile project. Be sure to update the forum with your progress.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Thanks! and you can Bet I'll be sharing progress and usage on this one just like the B80.

12 hours ago, Vinylguy said:

My 73 16 hp auto had the solenoid mounted over the serial number decal also.:think:

I found some other 16hp pics online that did as well. Location of solenoid is certainly correct but It's a bit odd that the ID would be under it.

11 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@ebinmaine You say the "dip-stick" under the seats just spins...I would imagine since it is an 8 speed it would have a 1/2" pipe thread with a nipple threaded into the top of the transmission and a plug with a dip-stick welded to it to check the rear-end lube.

I'll take a pic later and post it. It appears to be the top of a stick very similar to that on the engine... like you'd pull straight up to remove.

I didn't fiddle with it much for fear of busticating something.

10 hours ago, Sparky said:

I like it! Did it come with a plow? I see a plow/tiller bracket was included.

Thanks Mike!

Yes it did! There's a 42" plow with it. The angle lever is bent a bit and it Neeeeds the edge replaced but looks good and solid.

• Like 1

JC 1965

Looks like a good project tractor. I love those 16 HP Kohlers. From the photos looks like the head gasket might be leaking and the rear axle seals might be leaking as well. Both items are pretty easy to fix. Should be a fine tractor after a little TLC.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

It's common to see the solenoids on top of the serial decal on these - really weird that they actually did that at the factory, I suspect that was WH's doing versus Kohler.

I'd look at that head very closely first as well as the top fin of the engine block - the K341, if overheated can crack right across the top fin, generally right to the exhaust valve seat which renders the block junk. My first C-160 had it's fins packed pretty badly with debris and it obviously overheated more than once. Due to the block design - the area around the exhaust valve's stem in those fins is pretty tight and tough to get at to clean - but it's worth your time to clean these out as much as possible. Mine would still run just fine - it just leaked compression when the block was cold and would seal up once at full temperature. It was weird to see this little puff of smoke coming out of the top fin - but it did run that way for several years before it also developed a rod knock - I need to tear into it and see if the crank can be salvaged at least as well as keep the other good parts off that engine.

I love the C-160's as do most of us here, just wish that hood wasn't so, uh, ugly...lol.

Sarge

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Good looking project tractor.Hitch looks home-made to me.The rear of the factory hitch would be kinda rounded and smoothed off.Not cut straight like yours.Have fun with your new toy.Here's a pic of a factory hitch.Notice yours has a pivot pin with cotter pins on the ends.Factory pin has snap rings.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Pollack Pete
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I like the patina on that one. I dont think I would repaint it. My opinion.

Best od luck with it.

Glenn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 1/20/2018 at 5:34 PM, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Garry, I started a new post to document the progress of the C... I put the pic of that serial number there but here it is.

I believe the torn number to be a 3

Thanks!

20180127_162433.jpg.7821820ef6e32dd972e0f2be41e9ead5.jpg

On 1/20/2018 at 7:59 PM, KC9KAS said:

It ended up that it is a standard stick/ tube such as you'd see in the engine oil. It was just plain stuck which wasn't super surprising when I saw that it had no oil but some interesting brown sludge in the trans case.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Link to the new thread: