Nick Anderson

Wheel horse 1277

Nick Anderson

I’ve got a wheel horse 1277 that I fixed up and got running I’ve replaced spark plug, choke and throttle cables, and it’s not to the point you can turn a key and it runs great the paint isn’t perfect and the seat is pretty much gone. I’ve replaced tires as well. I’ve got a deck and a plow and a small trailer to pull behind it. What would something like this be worth?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Nick.         Without detailed pictures of the tractor and implements, It is not possible to make an accurate evaluation.

I suggest you look on the sale sites  ( ebay, craigslist, etc.) for tractor that are in a similar condition.    You can also  look in our classified section here on Red Square..

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Nick :WRS: How is the auto on this 1277?  Does it charge the battery?  A lot of the old Start/gen do not charge well or not at all if it is original. I have had many thru the years. Does it start with in 10 revolutions of the starter or less? Any leaks in the tranny? Sloppy steering?  Tires hold air? Just a few things that may be wrong with it considering the age of the tractor.   Hope all goes well for you.

• Like 1

Nick Anderson

It charges the battery and it does start within ten revolutions, I don’t believe there are any tranny leaks and it has new tires that all hold air. 

ACman

:WRS:......Pictures would really help here and you should be able to post one . Take one from far back go into your photo editor and Zoom in and crop picture . That should bring down the file size so you can post a picture hopefully. 

KC9KAS

@Nick Anderson :WRS: and :wwp:

Nick Anderson

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Those head

image.jpg

Edited by Nick Anderson
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

OK, now we have a little more info. 

The cart looks pretty heavy duty, but needing tires and wheels.....30-40

The dozer blade, frame and axle bracket.......................................100-120

The deck looks like the shell is good, if the spindles and blades are good...100-150

The tractor needs a hood, seat, steering wheel, but if it runs and drives like it should..150-250

As  a total package....200-300         

This is based on my experience in my area which is pretty rich with old Wheel Horse equipment.    If they are more rare in your area, of course the value goes up.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

That looks more like a #2 IH CUB CADET with the external fenders from the late '60s, so with that being said it may be worth a bit more turned back to its original colors/condition just my :twocents-twocents:, Jeff.

Screenshot_20180120-185926.png

Screenshot_20180120-190043.png

• Like 2

Sarge

That 1277 should be saved and kept intact - there aren't many of this one year model left and they are a very heavy duty tractor if the Sundstrand trans hasn't been damaged. That hood is a problem - the 7-slot grill is unique to only 2yrs of models and they aren't easy to find - that one could be fixed but it would be a big job. Price all depends on the condition of the engine and trans for the most part. Running/driving of course is more but for the damage that's been done to it from obvious abuse drives down the price - it will take a lot of work to save it properly. Look closely under the rear of the frame where the rear axle is bolted onto the frame - that rear plate is known for cracking from abuse and from the looks of the hood and plow I'd bet it's cracked badly. That leads to damage to the dash stand as well - the whole thing will flex like crazy once that plate is broken and put the stress on the dash stand and trans belt guard - both are probably cracked or missing their mounting points.

Restored, that is a very tough tractor and one of the easiest to operate and install/remove implements due to it's design. Not to mention, it is an elegant looking beast compared to later model C-series and such.

Sarge

ClassicTractorProfessor
5 hours ago, Sarge said:

it is an elegant looking beast compared to later model C-series and such.

Sarge

I agree they are one of the best looking models...here is a pic of mine alongside my C141 and C125. In my opinion the 1277 is the best looking model of the bunch

IMG_20180113_202551.jpg

Sarge

The long, tapered hood is what makes all the difference - I'm no fan of the later model hoods and truly question what they were thinking when it came to the gawd-awful D series front ends, lol. The stance of the 1277 with it's wide front end look gives it such a nice "big tractor" theme to them , being a 1-yr model it's sad to see one get parted out . Personally, I think the mid/late 60's models with some frame work were the best ones they built if nothing more than their simpler design and uncomplicated look to them.

Sarge

• Like 1