classicdmax

NGK or Champion?

classicdmax

Looking to confirm plug type and gap for k341....also seems to me that most people prefer ngk over champion? Any input on plug preference?

thanks fellas

j-

pfrederi

Anything but Champion for me

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

What Paul said. Not a lot of luck with Champions

• Like 1

520HC

Been using champions for 40 years

• Like 1

classicdmax

Maybe I’m not doing a proper internet search here, I’m finding ngk b6l but feel there should be something more to the number.

skrusins

I use Autolight 216 for most Kohlers. Sold hundreds when I had my business.  I use NGK for the Asian motors 

Edited by skrusins
added number
  • Like 3

classicdmax

Ha, great thanks. I guess I could have gone to their website too

Edited by classicdmax

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Anything but Champion for me

52 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

What Paul said. Not a lot of luck with Champions

44 minutes ago, 520HC said:

Been using champions for 40 years

Here's where I'm at... I hadn't touched a Champion for about 25 years unless I was tossing in the trash. BUT !!  I know A LOT of folks prefer them sooooo I gave them another try this year. I have to admit I've been impressed so far.

Kohler, B & S both seem to run well with them in.

ALL brands of plugs NEED to be changed out at the proper time interval.

The way I understand the reason Folks don't like Champs is that the company tried to go cheap back in the 80s and failed miserably doing so. Some engines still really ran well but many others did not. Tough to sell a product when a large portion of the target market thinks poorly of that item.

I've run a few Autolites, mostly AC Delco. Some NGK. If the Champions go well for a year or so I'll keep using them. If not I'll go back to putting Autolites in small engines.

Make SURE the heat range is right and change 'em out when you should (or earlier) and I think Most name brands are fine.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Here's where I'm at... I hadn't touched a Champion for about 25 years unless I was tossing in the trash. BUT !!  I know A LOT of folks prefer them sooooo I gave them another try this year. I have to admit I've been impressed so far.

Kohler, B & S both seem to run well with them in.

The way I understand the reason Folks don't like Champs is that the company tried to go cheap back in the 80s and failed miserably doing so. Some engines still really ran well but many others did not. Tough to sell a product when a large portion of the target market thinks poorly of that item.

I've run a few Autolites, mostly AC Delco. Some NGK. If the Champions go well for a year or so I'll keep using them. If not I'll go back to putting Autolites in small engines.

Make SURE the heat range is right and change 'em out when you should (or earlier) and I think Most name brands are fine.

I have heard that they have improved ...BUT  you cause me problems once I am not in a mood for second chances...

roadapples
6 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have heard that they have improved ...BUT  you cause me problems once I am not in a mood for second chances...

That's what my x said...:ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I'll give ya that one Paul.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

classicdmax

So perhaps a dumb question, does gapping remain the same regardless of spark plug brand used? Just askin...

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

So perhaps a dumb question, does gapping remain the same regardless of spark plug brand used? Just askin...

Yep.

Plug gap is a specification set by the engine manufacturer.

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2

953 nut

Manual calls for Champion H-10 gaped at  .035 for battery ignition and .025 for Magneto ignition. What you use is up to you, but use the plug manufacturer application chart rather than a cross reference.

• Like 4

KC9KAS
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My 2003 Chevrolet Z-71 has 201,000 + miles on the factory spark plugs....wonder what the life of these plugs are!

• Like 3

squonk

Auto-Rites! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

hondagod64

NGK plugs!!!!!

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

My 2003 Chevrolet Z-71 has 201,000 + miles on the factory spark plugs....wonder what the life of these plugs are!

Hopefully. .. whenever you stop using the truck. .. plus 1 mile. 

• Thanks 1

BaySide1

I have found that NGK plugs burn a bit hotter than Champions

WHX??

So if I am following this thread right a Champ H-10 = NGK B6L = an Autolite 216?

One of the biggest issues I always have in getting away from Champions is finding the proper cross reference.

I have seen a few Kohlers come through with an Autolite 216 in it. Are those the go to plug for our 7 -14 hp Kohlers?

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Factory says 100k change intervals, they are "fine wire" iridium tipped but IMHO with the coil per plug set-up they last longer that the old distributor single coil set-up I've changed plugs out at 150k+ that still looked decent but with the new ones installed better fuel mileage,starting,idling and throttle response, BTW is cheaper to buy a set from RockAuto than local parts store, like $35 vs $60 for a V8 , Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

So if I am following this thread right a Champ H-10 = NGK B6L = an Autolite 216?

One of the biggest issues I always have in getting away from Champions is finding the proper cross reference.

I have seen a few Kohlers come through with an Autolite 216 in it. Are those the go to plug for our 7 -14 hp Kohlers?

I can't vouch for the entire model range of the late 50s into the 2000s.

I do believe that in the middle 1970s where my tractors are, up to eight horse is j8c. 10 horse to 16 horse is h10c.

pfrederi

216 Autolite for 10-16Hp K singles.  8hp are different (295)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BOB ELLISON

I have used the 216 autolite in my C160 for 2 years with no trouble. It starts great so they work fine for me.

• Like 1