classicdmax

NGK or Champion?

WHX??

That NGK website Garry mentioned above is a boat load of good info on plugs. Found this there for those interested.

partnumberkey.pdf

squonk
4 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Factory says 100k change intervals, they are "fine wire" iridium tipped but IMHO with the coil per plug set-up they last longer that the old distributor single coil set-up I've changed plugs out at 150k+ that still looked decent but with the new ones installed better fuel mileage,starting,idling and throttle response, BTW is cheaper to buy a set from RockAuto than local parts store, like $35 vs $60 for a V8 , Jeff.

That’s great as long as you’re able to get the plugs out after all that time. 

• Excellent 1

classicdmax
4 minutes ago, squonk said:

Don’t all oem’s use anti seize????

JimmyJam
1 hour ago, classicdmax said:

Interesting point??? 

I have never tried NGK. No good luck with Champion. Recently I have been using E3 spark plugs with good luck. You buy them at Lowe's. Any one else using them? 

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, classicdmax said:

First let me just put out front here that I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. I work on things when I have to work on things just like a lot of us do.

That said, I do know that the rules of dissimilar Metals dictate very clearly that a steel spark plug is going to corrode itself in almost a welded fashion to an aluminum cylinder head.

I don't know if all manufacturers use anti seize or not but I do know that most anti seize dries out over the course of time allowing for corrosion to take place.

JimmyJam
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

...That said, I do know that the rules of dissimilar Metals dictate very clearly that a steel spark plug is going to corrode itself in almost a welded fashion to an aluminum cylinder head.

I don't know if all manufacturers use anti seize or not but I do know that most anti seize dries out over the course of time allowing for corrosion to take place.

Eric, join the: "Mostly I don't know what the heck I am doing" Club!!!! LOL!!!! :ROTF:

Makes sense though! I guess the rule of thumb is to change spark plugs out more frequently. Right??

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
Just now, JimmyJam said:

Eric, join the: "Mostly I don't know what the heck I am doing" Club!!!! LOL!!!! :ROTF:

Makes sense though! I guess the rule of thumb is to change spark plugs out more frequently. Right??

It's good that you can admit that Jim.

Like the guys are saying above, there are a bunch of old me M Automotive plugs that are a fine wire type or iridium or some other fancy space-age metal material. I don't get too worried about those, but in all of my small engines I change the plugs out once a year.

• Thanks 1

pfrederi
30 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

It's good that you can admit that Jim.

Like the guys are saying above, there are a bunch of old me M Automotive plugs that are a fine wire type or iridium or some other fancy space-age metal material. I don't get too worried about those, but in all of my small engines I change the plugs out once a year.

Because you use Champions...:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
Just now, pfrederi said:

Because you use Champions...:ROTF:

HAHAHAHAHA  !!!!!

That's funny stuff right there.

I didn't until just recently but I guess we'll see next summer?

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, squonk said:

I haven't had those issues as of yet, but I do hear of the nightmares with the late 90s up Triton engines.

20 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

but in all of my small engines I change the plugs out once a year.

I guess I've been late to the party again maybe 3 or 4 pair of plugs in the anniversary 520H since new, there's another old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it, that reminds me the same NGK I put in new in my first Dolmar is still starting on the third tug and still spools up like it did 7 years ago, I believe alot of spark plug issues arise either from worn points/weak coils, poor fuel/delivery issues, or "slow poking" around at idle, rev that slug up and blow the carbon out of it, put a load on it mowing or blowing snow, from my experiences with dad aging and driving slower and shorter trips he's had more misfire/ emissions issues, with that in mind we keep the fuel doctored up with "cleaners" and every couple months I take it out for a "spirited" drive, Jeff.

2 hours ago, classicdmax said:

Those new Iridium ACDELCO plugs I buy come pre-anti-seized vs the standard copper plugs for small engines.

• Like 3

lynnmor

Many spark plugs now have a special plating to prevent seizure.  The manufacturers of such plugs and vehicle manufacturers recommend that you not use anti-seize.  If you do use anti-seize, be aware that the reduced friction can easily lead to stripped threads. 

NGK says this:

1. Anti-seize

NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver-or-chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I haven't had those issues as of yet, but I do hear of the nightmares with the late 90s up Triton engines.

I guess I've been late to the party again maybe 3 or 4 pair of plugs in the anniversary 520H since new, there's another old adage if it ain't broke don't fix it, that reminds me the same NGK I put in new in my first Dolmar is still starting on the third tug and still spools up like it did 7 years ago, I believe alot of spark plug issues arise either from worn points/weak coils, poor fuel/delivery issues, or "slow poking" around at idle, rev that slug up and blow the carbon out of it, put a load on it mowing or blowing snow, from my experiences with dad aging and driving slower and shorter trips he's had more misfire/ emissions issues, with that in mind we keep the fuel doctored up with "cleaners" and every couple months I take it out for a "spirited" drive, Jeff.

Those new Iridium ACDELCO plugs I buy come pre-anti-seized vs the standard copper plugs for small engines.

I have a 2001 F-350 w/ a 5.4L. When it needs plugs I'll likely start using it as a nice yard ornament or something.

I definitely agree with the poor fuel thing.... ethanol.... "love" that stuff.

I've learned my lessons now and changed my ways... I used to use worn out equipment because that's what I could get. I'd have to have the carb removed and cleaned every couple years and replace all the gaskets along with a tune-up.

That's where I got into the habit of changing all my plugs once a year.

Nowadays I can use better stuff and NO alcohol in the engines and I do most of my own work but I still change the oil, filters and a new plug annually... maybe without a good reason but it makes me feel better.

RE slower driving... Back in the early 90s there was a chevy/pontiac  dealer in my little town that had a customer who was well.... a little older... ya know. He drove what was at the time one of the fastest cars on the road - a 3.8 twin turbo trans am. SOOPER fast car that seriously rarely saw 40 - 45 mph and we're talking acceleration rates comparable to a kid on a tricycle...

One of the techs was telling me when the guy came in for his "services", one of the things they did was take it out and ummmm.... beat on it a bit.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@JimmyJam I use the E3 plugs in some of my yard equipment but I have not been able to cross reference to the Kohler spec plugs.. I really like the E3 plugs , what are you using the E3 plugs in. If you have a cross chart let me know.

JimmyJam
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@JimmyJam I use the E3 plugs in some of my yard equipment but I have not been able to cross reference to the Kohler spec plugs.. I really like the E3 plugs , what are you using the E3 plugs in. If you have a cross chart let me know.

Lowe's should have a cross-reference book on hand. I will check my machines. Several were K-181's.

Ethanol is a BIG problem. When I was visiting my mom in FL last week, I noticed that all the NEW gas stations there are offering "Ethanol-Free" gas at the pumps. Here in Massachusetts there are no "Ethanol-Free" gas available unless I drive 40 miles in any direction for a price of $5.00 per gallon.

• Like 1

classicdmax

I love all the interesting banter here. I simply made a comment on anti seize as it seems oem’s don’t know what it is and never use it....on anything. But also something g learned here, as some of you had stated that some plug manufacturers use coating on their threads to facilitate removal. All good info, never was aware but I guess also never considered researching it as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

I love all the interesting banter here.

One of my favorite things about this whole site. .....

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

Lowe's should have a cross-reference book on hand. I will check my machines. Several were K-181's.

Ethanol is a BIG problem. When I was visiting my mom in FL last week, I noticed that all the NEW gas stations there are offering "Ethanol-Free" gas at the pumps. Here in Massachusetts there are no "Ethanol-Free" gas available unless I drive 40 miles in any direction for a price of $5.00 per gallon.

Jim, fyi -  there's "real gas" about 15 minutes from here in freedom nh. $3.39 or so.

classicdmax

I’ve only seen ethanol free at pumps in nh. You mention that to anyone station around here and they look at you like you’re crazy and it doesn’t exist. I’ve recently started purchasing VP fuel to use in my small engines. Pricey, yes! But if it saves me time and headaches down the road it maybe worth the cost

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, classicdmax said:

I’ve only seen ethanol free at pumps in nh.

Check puregas.org 

classicdmax

I have, nothing in ri or mass. It does however display retailers of vp fuels I believe 

cleat
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a 2001 F-350 w/ a 5.4L. When it needs plugs I'll likely start using it as a nice yard ornament or something.

I have a 2002 F-150 with the 5.4 and changed the plugs last year. Took about an hour and a half.

I used Motorcraft plugs with just a little smear of anti-size.

The later model 3 valve engines are the issue with the 2 piece plugs coming apart as you remove them and leaving half inside the engine.

There is a tool for that.

Yours has regular plugs. The little ignition coils will all come out without disturbing the fuel injectors.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, classicdmax said:

I have, nothing in ri or mass. It does however display retailers of vp fuels I believe 

It shows 23 sellers in Mass and 5 in RI.

Displays VP and Sunoco and others.

Hopefully one of those is near enough to you to use...

classicdmax

Sorry, misleading last post. Most those aren’t convenient and the ones that are have the vp in cans. Closest one in mass has the c9 at pump which is $12/gal or so. That’s what I purchased last time but the price hurts!

thanks though 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

Sorry, misleading last post. Most those aren’t convenient and the ones that are have the vp in cans. Closest one in mass has the c9 at pump which is $12/gal or so. That’s what I purchased last time but the price hurts!

thanks though 

OUCH!

I'm lucky to have a station about 15 minutes  away. 

Sarge

If I had to use ethanol - I'd park my equipment as I'd rather just look at it than ruin it. Ethanol is evil , stuff should be banned altogether.

Sarge

• Like 1