formariz

I dont know what to do. Help making decision needed.

formariz

My 1999 Ford E250 van with 300,000. miles is developing some serious rust issues, that for now are still cosmetic but eventually will be dangerous. I bought it new and it has NEVER failed on me . Prior to this one I had two others of same model which were as good as this one. So needless to say I am attached to this type of van which is no longer made otherwise I would just go and get a new one.

So I occasionally look on Craigslist for used ones, specially when I lose another piece of the body. Very disappointing most of the times because these things are work horses and are usually trashed specially the interior. Newer ones are usually too expensive in my opinion to justify spending that kind of money on something used when for a little more you buy a new one although not the same anymore.

Then a couple of days ago something caught my eye. A 2007 shows up with only 28,000 miles, one owner, loaded with extras and in incredible condition. Not cheap for a 2007. Asking price $13,900.00. I go to see it and I just cannot believe what is in front of me. This thing is a time capsule. No rust what so ever, even underneath only bolt heads show a little surface rust.,no dents scratches, almost no signs of use not even on drivers side floor. Driving it, I might just as well have just driven it out of dealership. Ran a check on it and it is 100% clean. Asking price real steep but I cannot compare it to anything else of that year because it just does not exist. Seller is stuck now at $12500.00 and that is it  will not go any less.

So comparing what else I can get for that money I can get  in area a 2012 with about 90,000.miles for the same money. Very good condition but nothing like the other one.

So my dilemma is: Am i better buying the time capsule overpriced for the year it is, or a much newer van for the same money? :confusion-confused:

Edited by formariz

roadapples

If it's what you want, buy it. Price may seem high but not for a new condition vehicle.  :twocents-02cents:  At 28,000 this is like NOS...

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 5

refracman

I bought a 06 last year and love this thing. you are right it seems the post 2010 are bringing good money.

As for this one if it checks out like you said 12500 is high ya but your current one has 300K and with only 28K on it you have another 18 years before you have to start looking again.

Yup its worth it     jmop

• Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Driving it, I might just as well have just driven it out of dealership. Ran a check on it and it is 100% clean.

With 23K on it and loaded with extras I wouldn't worry about the age of the van, a few years from now it will still be lower mileage than the five year newer one.

The thing that scares the H out of me with used cars is the ones that have been run through multiple auctions in different states to hide flood damage. Buying from a private owner is the way to go.         :text-bravo:

• Like 4

nylyon

You already answered your own question, go back and read what you wrote.  When you pickup the 2007, post pictures.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

Skipper

I drive an old BMW e34 estate. It's a 96 model, and the last of its kind. That model started in 88. I do not drive that car because it is sensible, or because I could not buy anything newer, but because that car speaks to me. It's MY car. Heart wants what it wants, and nothing good comes from saying no. Just my :twocents-02cents: 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

As was previously stated, 28k miles is pretty much NOS. It's not even broken in yet so I would not let the year of the vehicle scare me away. Besides reading what you posted, you sound like your heart and mind is already made up!

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Yeah, OK...

I recently had my local dealer try that crap on me.

Dealership owner likes to rack up 20K miles on vehicles off the lot. 

Then tries to pass them off as "NEW" vehicles to the public. 

Who out there is doing that?  

• Confused 2

formariz
8 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:rolleyes: Yeah, OK...

I recently had my local dealer try that crap on me.

Dealership owner likes to rack up 20K miles on vehicles off the lot. 

Then tries to pass them off as "NEW" vehicles to the public. 

Who out there is doing that?  

I don't understand????

Its a private seller and vehicle is from 2007!

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

You didn't mention engines.    I believe Ford changed to the turbo series in 2011.  

Based on the info you posted, I would opt for the '07.       IMO,  62K miles is worth more than 5 years.

• Like 3

formariz
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

You didn't mention engines.    I believe Ford changed to the turbo series in 2011.  

Based on the info you posted, I would opt for the '07.       IMO,  62K miles is worth more than 5 years.

It has a 4.6 V8 non turbo. An improvement over mine which has a smaller v6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

clueless
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Now days year is not as important as it use to be, especially if it been somewhat cared for. So your looking at a vehicle that has been driven less than 2900 miles a year, in great shape and the guy that's selling it is the owner. You said you found some 5 years newer ones with 3x the mileage for the same price. I'm not seeing what the problem is, go get it.:auto-layrubber:  

• Like 5

squonk

Newer year also means more complicated crap that can break. If it's a nice as you say it is go for it. a lot of the older stuff is going for more because a lot of people don't want to put up with the newer technology headaches. One reason why leasing is so popular. You turn it in after 3 yrs. and get a new one under warranty.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Being a fellow experienced Ford owner, you are probably aware of their  need for brake maintenance.

Just to relay my experience with my 2010 F-150  with 30K miles last year.

Although the brakes were working fine, during a routine annual State Inspection, It was discovered  all four rotors were corroded so bad they were too thin to resurface and had to be replaced.

What I discovered was,  dust shield inside the wheel actually traps salt and moisture causing the caliper support pins to corrode and in turn prevent the inboard half of each caliper from moving out and wiping the inside of the rotor clean.   Amazingly, the brakes worked fine with just the outside half of the calipers making contact.

I was informed this is a common problem with low mileage vehicles that are not driven for long periods.  Especially prominent in States that use a lot of liquid salt to treat the highways.

A preventive measure is whenever the vehicle is used, stand on the brakes as hard as possible to help insure the inside calipers are moving on the pins and cleaning the insides of the rotors.

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, roadapples said:

If it's what you want, buy it. Price may seem high but not for a new condition vehicle.  :twocents-02cents:  At 28,000 this is like NOS...

:text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat::text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

formariz

Thank you everyone for the reassurance. Its not an easy thing to let go of that kind of money particularly for something that is not new with no warranties. I am always second guessing myself whether I am making the right decision. It is still hard to me to believe the condition this one is, hence also my hesitation on it. However like it was said here before it does speak to my heart specially since this years model still looks exactly like the one I have now.

I already scheduled with seller to look at it again tomorrow and possibly finalize it. Will post photos once it is here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

jay bee

:greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingyellow:

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

Will post photos once it is here.

Good!

We likes our :text-coolphotos:

classicdmax

A good opportunity to get underneath that new rig and give it a fluid film treatment. Pneumatic spray kits can be had on the bay for reasonable prices, most auto parts stores seem to have fluid Film on the shelf these days. I use an elec paint sprayer which “works” fine, but air would be best 

Edited by classicdmax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz
4 minutes ago, classicdmax said:

A good opportunity to get underneath that new rig and give it a fluid film treatment. Pneumatic spray kits can be had on the bay for reasonable prices, most auto parts stores seem to have fluid Film on the shelf these days. I use an elec paint sprayer which “works” fine, but air would be best 

Good idea. Been thinking on what I can do to preserve it the way it is as much as possible.

BaySide1

We picked up a 2010 Ford Escape Limited for my wife 15 months ago.

It had only 14,000 and every option available including the high output motor.

the only thing missing is a display screen for navigation.

The price was $16,000  just under half of the original sticker.

When looking for comps online, it was the most expensive one for sale in the country.

The dealer put on new tires and brakes and gave us a Ford Warranty that covers everything for 48 months/48,000

miles.

It was a bit more than leasing but I felt the pros outweighed the cons. Especially with the Warranty.

• Like 2

Sarge

Do your research on the year model and especially the engine and any known issues - like those infernal exhaust manifolds. There are some updated versions that are better and some certain models never had that issue but it is common - just make sure you check first. Repairing those is not fun in a van and some almost require removal of the engine to do it.

I can definitely appreciate your approach - I've done the same thing for a lot of years, find something that is dead reliable and stick with it. The current cost of vehicles is well past crazy - repairs are even worse. Something within the year span of what you are looking at are going up in value for a reason - they are super reliable and well proven to last, not to mention used they are far cheaper than anything new with a warranty. I always gauge the limiting factor as what can I afford to fix given a worse case scenario - in the case of that van it's pretty well proven nothing major is known to fail - that's a win in the used market. Little issues that are common are generally fixed over time by folks that have the skills - there is always the resource of the internet and of course vehicle specific forums - they help a lot to keep costs down and avoid paying a dealer to perform small jobs. For it's age, with some work in relation to keeping it from rusting into a pile that vehicle should last you a very long time.

Sarge

rmaynard

I bought a 2005 E150 van with 35,000 miles on it back in 2007. Had the small V8. I paid $12,500.00 for it. Sold it in 2015 with close to 200,000 miles on it for $7500.00. I see the truck go past my house every day, and the new owner says it is still running like new. No rust. He is in the home improvement business as was I. Having said that, I would not hesitate to pay what your seller wants, especially with only 28,000 miles. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
18 hours ago, formariz said:

Good idea. Been thinking on what I can do to preserve it the way it is as much as possible.

HF sold a gun at one point that would spray waste oil or hydraulic fluid through it for this reason as well.

Chris G

I just upgrade my old e150 myself. I have been looking for a replacement since summer. I just couldn't see putting the money out there cause I was so unsure of any other vehicle after how well my van has been. I bought it from original owner with 64000 on it and ran it all the way up to 384000. Truthfully never let me down. just basic maintenance and respecting the vehicles limits and they can last a long time. But wish ya the best of luck and my 2 cents would be if your happy with it and it is what ya want. Then go for it.

• Like 1