PeacemakerJack

What is it???

cpete1

What, no bevel cut on the outsides of the flat plates on the roof? What the heck, looks like a pidgin built it!!!:text-lol:.   just joking, just joking , sorry couldn't resist. What are you doing talking to us with a project that size, this time of year, with the possibility of bad weather??  Geezz Louise why don't you wait until mid February when its really nice to work out side?... Its looks really good, Hip roofs are a challenge for anybody, even guys that do it all the time. I built a porch once in the village where I grew up and my geometry teacher used to jog by everyday to remind me, "Bet all that Geometry you took in school is paying off now, Huh Chris" . I used to just shake my head.

I'm glad we have Aunt Tricia on our side as far as seeing your Uncles stuff. His work is truly impressive and it looks like some of his talent rubbed off on you. Your framing job looks pretty sharp. Osb board laying straight on center on the rafters and ridge. 

And what you say Sarge is absolutely true. Treat people right and more than likely you'll get it back. 

Josh get the da#^ roof closed in, We can wait on the pictures....

Chris

• Haha 3

cpete1
45 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

“For YEARS I've tried to talk Ken into taking some of this stuff to the parade, or to the park in Omro.  He's so stinkin' humble!!  Maybe with Paul around we can get something going this year.  I'd hate to have it all appreciated posthumously!!😯”.

I have to admit Josh, when you first posted the original pictures, that's what I thought was the case. And that you got the tractor. To be able to ask your Uncle our questions and actually hear what he was thinking during the build is a gift. Your Aunt is right about what she said. Not only am I enjoying finding all this out but I'm sure it will influence anything I build down the road. That's the beauty of this forum. I've already "recovered" 3 pieces of equipment with the help of members on this site and the pictures they posted answering my questions. I guess that was one of the main reasons I became a supporter. There is a ton of talent , and good spirit here. Your Uncles project, just happens to be a very enjoyable perk on top of that.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ztnoo
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

wish that I had paid a little more attention in Geometry class

Plain Geometry made absolutely no sense to me as a sophomore in high school. I was lost in a strange land. Period.

Was fortunate to go to college and obtain a B.A. however, then oddly enough ended up in residential and light commercial construction.

When I suddenly started to have to prove square on a project during layout, and then learning to cut roof rafters (sometimes with different pitches on an addition), I had a "Eureka" moment, and it suddenly all made sense.

Having multiple framing squares and square stops helps consistency enormously.

Figure it out once, and reuse repetitively until that portion of the project is complete.

Hips are computed using the number 17 for the run dimension.

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ztnoo Now you are showing off. Geometry was not my friend and still hides from me. When I found out that my first grand child was going to make to be born in about 6 months I decided that I was going to build a round top trunk for her. The round top is still sitting in the shed due to the #$%^&*() angles of the last two boards on either side. Made a flat top as I had 4 or 5 days before her arrival. That was 3 years ago and still trying to figure those angles. Maybe my 1 year old granddaughter will get a around top trunk as a high school graduation present.

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Beautiful work there. I am no angle guy for sure. I grind it till it fits. I tried so hard to pass geometry but some of it I just couldn’t get. 

Agreed. looks good Josh.

I'm the same way with the hit it tilllit fitts.

Geometry I did ok but algeeebra?? What?? Why in the whole wide world did some fool decide to start crossing numbers and letters?????????

1x+2c= WWHHAATT??????

I took Four Years Electricity class in HS and we had a great teacher and did a lot of fun projects. we were literally doing college level trigonometry and some very serious calculations. It was great!

We learned to "speak" binary.

But... algebra. Oh no no no no no.:techie-offtheair: 

6 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

the #$%^&*() angles

I don't remember the teacher mentioning those but it WAS a while ago.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H

Geometry and trigonometry I did decent in last semester of Tech school for my new position at work only had the bare bones basics back in highschool '85-'89, but yeah algebra I barely passed those chapters, at least with Trig and geometry there's a formula and if you plug in the correct numbers most times it comes out right, algebra sometimes actually has no solution to the problem as I learn this past fall,  @elcamino/wheelhorse, Google is your friend ask a question about the angles it will help you find the formula and figure out that table, it helped me with class as it was self paced study a chapter take a test teacher graded if you passed you moved on if not take it till you passed, School changed since I went same goes for my new class this semester blueprint and schematics, Jeff.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@WVHillbilly520H Even measuring the angles with a protractor and creating small pieces of kindling from larger pieces of scrap pine, the results were still #$%^&*()_. I Googled ,researched on line demos , plans and stilled ended up with @#$%^&*()_.

• Haha 4

953 nut

The only time I ever did an addition with a hip roof coming off another roof I let the truss company do all the math. All I had to do is keep everything two feet on center.

5a62978d28609_crownmolding001.JPG.b86864318e629a9e902da99a2315d2f6.JPGThankfully my compound miter saw has settings for Crown Molding or I would have a very expensive pile of sawdust!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

cpete1

Yes maybe so but think how the pile would match your cabinets....B)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19richie66

I go through a lot of cardboard. I try to make patterns and tape them together as I did my fuel tank. We eat a lot of pizza. 😁

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

cpete1

Josh, get the d%$ roof done and give us more pictures of Uncle Ken's tractor, we're starting to drift :text-offtopic:, save us from ourselves...

Chris

Richie, how many pepperoni specials did it take to figure out the lambo hinges?

Edited by cpete1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack
2 hours ago, cpete1 said:

Josh, get the d%$ roof done and give us more pictures of Uncle Ken's tractor, we're starting to drift :text-offtopic:, save us from ourselves...

Worked on the roof until nearly dark, then had a teen activity to orchestrate, then had a couple of college folks who used to be in my TeenGroup come over and watch a movie...so it was a late night. Today—back on the roof to see if I can get the shingles finished. 

The Tractor: The tranny is an interesting story.  He began to search around for a durable yet compact gear Jammer.  He wasn’t turning up anything that would work given those tight “spatial parameters” that Chris mentioned earlier.  It was important to him to make something tough that didn’t turn out to be the size of a Farmall A!  So, he began to visit the local junk yards and was turning up with one dead end after another until he went to Kolpin’s salvage yard.  He asked the guy at the desk and he told Uncle that he didn’t have anything that would fit that description at the time. Then Ken spotted this gear box...

02C84156-4208-4424-90B4-81D2F5981A47.jpeg.90a44899d851c7f7d71696cf6caa58a3.jpeg

He said,”what about that one over there?” The guy says, “you don’t want that, it’s really old and one of the gears has a bad bushing!”  Ken asked how much and flat reply was 5 bucks—DONE!  He got it home and opened it up. Had to machine his own bushing, put it together and it hasn’t been apart since about 1972!  Here’s where the story takes an interesting turn.  Ken and Tricia were visiting a car museum in California about 15 years ago and there was a featured exhibit on the development of the transmission in automobiles. As Ken look over the wall of tranny’s and was reading about them he spotted one that looked exactly like his!  It was from a 1920’s era GM.  He began to rave about it and pointed it out to Aunt Tricia.  After reading about it and looking it over she said, “If parts from our tractor are in a museum, don’t you think it is time for us to get something a little newer?”  :ROTF:

All I can think of is the line from Indiana Jones, “It belongs in a museum!—So do you!”  

Several guys have mentioned that that it looks like a Case GT—and so it should because that is what the outside is modeled after.  While going through my pics I found these of a 400 series Case from our annual Symco Thresheree Plow Day...

6E26D94C-FEAB-4B86-AA57-B14CEBDAAC26.jpeg.34cfbf0554f0143bba948db648489670.jpeg

76329392-7E1F-484C-A485-FA503AF9E4C5.jpeg.1484137a5fb47ea7f15dd8478da3c0ac.jpeg

You will notice the similarities but yet a closer look reveals how much beefier Uncle Kens tractor is.

C293843F-CAFE-4839-B36F-E306DC0B4154.jpeg.407bf9522562276d6c7298d9d3be1c75.jpeg

(I’m not in the habit of posting so many duplicate pics, but I haven’t had time to swing back over and take more...)

A6ECEA42-39C6-437F-918A-06FCEC4F2701.jpeg.e51b12310405d2696c64e8b542553e19.jpeg

The Case tractors had the HyDrive system which was unique to them (actually Colt started the development and were bought out by Case) which is completely different than uncle Ken’s.  

I’d like to stay and chat some more, but a roof is unfortunately waiting on me.  I’ll check in again later—maybe with some fresh photos!

PS—did I tell you that my uncle had his blasting license for a couple of decades? The 4th of July could be pretty exciting!  How does that tie in to his tractor? I’ll tell you later and include some cool vintage pics...

• Excellent 7

cpete1

Given that Kens brother worked at Case (hope I'm keeping information straight) perhaps information from Case , brocheurs, flyers, might have been something that Ken looked at while configuring his machine. From your past accounts, Ken studied existing equipment and then worked off everything he picked up in observation. I would think configuring an entire tractor, even a smaller one, would be tough to completely see in your "minds eye". There are many similarities between the 2 as I look at the pictures.  Nothing wrong with that, Case made a heck of tractor back then. They even came out with a 4 wheel drive (Big Tractor) later that had crab steer. Friend of mine still has one and its' main job is to fill in when the bigger IH's have fits. Thing still does the job to this day. 

Get your roof done Josh and Thank you again...

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66
3 hours ago, cpete1 said:

Richie, how many pepperoni specials did it take to figure out the lambo hinges?

I actually cut out the cardboard pattern at lunchtime at work. Used thumbtacks to hold it together pushed into another box. Probably was eating a 🍕 when I did it. Anyways, it was a box for gloves. Nice and thin but still strong enough to make a working model. Don’t get mad for me getting off topic..... you asked, I answered :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

cpete1

If I ever was lucky enough to have the pleasure of meeting Uncle Ken, with Josh and you Richie, and even Eric from Maine... Remember the bet with the fast coffee, well I won't mind buying the coffee but I believe I would be inclined to drink a good stiff whiskey instead as I believe such a meeting would be a formidable challenge.... even for me. What a group of people here:wacko::wacko::wacko:. ( And to think I actually paid money to be a part of this) My god in heaven, what have I got into...

Have a nice day...

Chris

In the mean time, lets hope Josh gets the roof closed up so we can see more of Kens brainstorming

Edited by cpete1
  • Like 2

19richie66

Pleasure would be mine I’m sure. Would love to just sit around and talk shop. We can all gather at the big show and make it  happen. 👍

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@19richie66 You better quit using the boxes that Mouse's gloves come in for your patterns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19richie66

They are really small boxes but I disposed of them properly. 😁

• Haha 3

Achto

This is an awesome tractor!! Looks good, easy to operate, and has definitely stood the test of time. Thanks so much for sharing, I'm looking forward to checking this machine out in person some time.

12 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

So, he began to visit the local junk yards and was turning up with one dead end after another until he went to Kolpin’s salvage yard.

I haven't been there in quite a while but in my high school days in spent countless hours wondering around Kolpin's junk yard. There were a lot of cool old cars in there.

• Excellent 1

cpete1

Josh... when we going to get some more Uncle Ken stories. I'm having "fabricators withdraw"....:blink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack
11 hours ago, cpete1 said:

Josh... when we going to get some more Uncle Ken stories. I'm having "fabricators withdraw"....:blink:

Sorry Chris, I’ve been so busy that I haven’t had an opportunity to run over and get some fresh pics of Ken’s tractor.  That is the primary reason that I have let this thread lie for the last couple of weeks. 

Back in in the late 1960’s “Dutch Elm Disease” went through our area and wiped out hundreds of super old, HUGE elm trees.  The farmers were begging for men to cut down and destroy the affected trees in hopes that it would stem the tide.  Unfortunately they didn’t do it in time.  I only know of one of the giant elm trees left standing throughout my childhood and early adulthood before it finally succumbed to age. Anyway, uncle Ken took on the side job of cutting these mammoths down and burning them up.  He got his blasting license(easy to do in those days) and would blow out the stumps.  He was constantly busy in his spare time and got lots of experience with dynamite.  In later years he would use the battery on his tractor to send the signal to set off the charge.  

CEB651C4-B380-42BF-A43A-750F74903485.jpeg.60e728bfbc933de73bc3fbcc5b1f4fbc.jpeg

This was the remains of an old hickory stump that was in my uncle’s personal field being blown up/out! Aunt Tricia took this pic from one angle...

4B5B8974-7C9D-4D48-A173-6D9BCC10FCCA.jpeg.d534193f3e7966fb9b78237135bb7903.jpeg

my cousin Paul getting to set the charge!  No wonder Paul ended up in the EOD program and later the Riverines! It’s hard to believe that he is retiring after 20 years with the Navy in just a month—where does the time go? Uncle Ken was standing over his shoulder in this pic. 

I’ll never forget the 4th that Uncle Ken set off a quarter stick on the back side of the shed.  His mother in law is a very “jumpy” person and we were all lounging around mid afternoon in the shade of the huge willow tree. I remember thinking it was odd to see him come running around from behind the shed and quick sit down like everything was normal when a split second later BOOM! Awesome! Happy 4th of July!  That was several decades ago and like so many things in life, it became way to difficult and expensive to maintain the license and so all that is left of uncle Ken’s blasting “career” is the memories and a couple of pics like those above...

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Excellent 5
  • Haha 1

953 nut

I can remember riding my bike to the store to pick up a couple 1/4 sticks of dynamite when I was about ten. They put the caps and dynamite in a bag, I tossed them in my basket and rode home and gave them to my grandfather.  Couldn't do that today.    :hide:

• Haha 5

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I can remember riding my bike to the store to pick up a couple 1/4 sticks of dynamite

WOW! 

cpete1

I'm sitting here almost falling out of my chair, laughing , visualizing Uncle Ken setting off the1/4 stick during the party. I had a great Uncle who was involved with the Hudson river dredging. When he died, the other brothers involved with settling the estate had to get a explosives expert come in and remove a Case of (old) dynamite from his shed, in the middle of a village, which my Uncle was Mayor of. They ended up getting in a fist fight over things as my Uncle didn't have a will. At the time, they were in their 70's. Ya gotta love Family!!!

Josh, just wanted to let you know your audience is still very much interested, no rush on anything, I'm really enjoying learning about Uncle Ken and Family, Aunt Tricia has to be somebody special too, to be with someone as unique as your Uncle.

Please tell them both, Thank you

Chris

I'm looking at the above picture, IT does have a hood latch... Man... He didn't miss a trick.....

• Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:dunno: To think...

all I got were these. 

Image result for jolly rancher sticks

• Haha 3