Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

953 nut
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Gotta quit this buying thing!!

Image result for why!

1 hour ago, dells68 said:

I'm picking up a D at the show in June.

:woohoo:             Tell us more.      :wwp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

dells68

I know a lot of people don't like the D tractors or Onan engines, but I've always wanted one.  Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.  I saw several go for pretty high prices at the auction in Charlottesville and still regretted not buying one.  @stratostar250 listed his D160 at what I think is a very reasonable price and it is pretty much complete, just needs some love.  I'll be picking the tractor and deck up at the show for next winter's project.  Now, I've got to sell one or two of the herd, just not sure which I want to part with.  Out of room, somebody's got to get kicked out of the shed!

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

You need to check with @AMC RULES on how his magic shed works. Stack them 2 high. Big one on bottom of course .

• Haha 6

953 nut
1 minute ago, dells68 said:

Out of room, somebody's got to get kicked out of the shed!

You could always add on to the shed. You have three months to build it!       :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

953 nut
8 minutes ago, dells68 said:

D160 at what I think is a very reasonable price and it is pretty much complete, just needs some love.

I just looked at the listing, you are right about it being a bargain, well done.      :woohoo:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

You could always add on to the shed. You have three months to build it!       :ychain:

:text-yeahthat:

If you still need a lawnmower, you still have grass.

If you still have grass, you have more land on which to build a Magic shed !!!!

If you build it... they will come....

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Herd animals Dell, remember?

• Haha 5

19richie66

Wanna look cool, go slicks 😎 Seriously though, those wheels look great. Cant go wrong with a set of 24-12x12 Carlisle All Trails. I love them but I only have grass here to deal with. No snow removal, plowing or fun stuff. Just grass.

• Haha 5

WVHillbilly520H
17 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

Alright guys, @WVHillbilly520H, @953 nut, @elcamino/wheelhorse, @ebinmaine, @pfrederi. Before I go any farther with these rims, are they wide enough to support 9.50's or 10.50's? Jeff mentioned 8.5" rims. These not that wide but have more dish than the stockers. Help!!!!! Backspacing seems to be the same on both 

20180322_145458.jpg

20180322_145555.jpg

20180322_145614.jpg

Sorry Terry, busy bee, any how yes those ARE 7" wide you measured correctly from bead to bead, second they do show some extra offset, third you can put the "Deestone" 10.50 AGs on those wheels without much bulging since they run 9.50 wide (check out my "New Shoes" thread for some more insight), Jeff.

• Like 2

ohiofarmer

I finally figured out how to prep and paint wheels in cold weather. I already stripped [rust] them with electrolysis and got the paint off that way too. I just took a 1500 watt heater and heated them up and used metal prep drying them quickly --maybe 15 minutes. Wiped off the white schmutz with a damp microfiber cloth and heated them a bit more. Bright steel turned just a bit blue.

With the wheel heated to over a hundred degrees, took it outside and put on the primer. They look great and no worries about rust. We should catch a good day soon to shoot some color and clear and cure them the natural way in the sun. I have 8 rear and 8 front wheels in the pipeline

• Like 3

ohiofarmer

I finally figured out how to prep and paint wheels in cold weather. I already stripped [rust] them with electrolysis and got the paint off that way too. I just took a 1500 watt heater and heated them up and used metal prep drying them quickly --maybe 15 minutes. Wiped off the white schmutz with a damp microfiber cloth and heated them a bit more. Bright steel turned just a bit blue.

With the wheel heated to over a hundred degrees, took it outside and put on the primer. They look great and no worries about rust. We should catch a good day soon to shoot some color and clear and cure them the natural way in the sun. I have 8 rear and 8 front wheels in the pipeline

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I PM'ed and washed "Poncho", my 520xi, in preparation of its sale next week. The herd is shrinking!

DSC01065.JPG.608c984d0b929146baabfba0a8f4d226.JPG

• Like 8

19richie66

Ain’t doing anything to them but I am working them. Got the girls out for some sunshine. Putting up 115’ of chain link fence. Skittles engine is getting a coat of red this week. Several parts hanging in the sun cooking now. Nice low humidity 85* here.

F8CAEADB-1443-4DA9-BC3A-B433D9CB8623.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Goldann520

Alright @WVHillbilly520H, @wheelhorseman, @elcamino/wheelhorse, to do my diligence, here are the finished rims with 7515 aluminium rustoleum. Little bright so will have to paint front rims too when time comes for tires.

20180325_122257.jpg

20180325_122229.jpg

20180325_122200.jpg

20180325_122237.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

The rims look nice . 

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

@Goldann520, FYI next time you want a close match to TORO grey for the wheels, Dupicolor "Argent Grey" wheel paint (at Advance/AutoZone) I used on my Cub weights, I also used Rustoleum self etching primer before topcoating, Jeff.

IMAG2120.jpg

IMAG2125.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 4

chip61

Changed oil in 416. Since the filter gasket was hanging on the pto lever when I got the tractor last year (I put it on with duct tape)  what is supposed to hold the gasket in place??

pfrederi
13 hours ago, chip61 said:

Changed oil in 416. Since the filter gasket was hanging on the pto lever when I got the tractor last year (I put it on with duct tape)  what is supposed to hold the gasket in place??

The wix 51410 spin on filters I use on my hydros the gasket is permanently attached to the filter.  Just smear a little oil on it before you put it on.

chip61
46 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

The wix 51410 spin on filters I use on my hydros the gasket is permanently attached to the filter.  Just smear a little oil on it before you put it on.

Sorry, I should have been more specific-I'm talking about the gasket or seal that seals the opening in the blower housing where the motor oil filter goes through.

Edited by chip61
more detail

WHX??
5 minutes ago, chip61 said:

blower housing where the motor oil filter goes through.

Ok ... now I get it we have an Onan here ...was wondering what you were talking about! :lol:

They say that gasket is fairly important to get cooling air to the back jug. Not much holds it in there, mainly the oil filter just being in place. Some daps of silicone may help hold it there and easiest to do when changing the filter.

chip61

LOL I saw it when I bought the tractor and I immediately stuck it on there with duct tape-don't think previous owner worked it too hard I think he just used it to pull trailers around the yard. A LOT of air moves through that opening if it isn't blocked off, I can see how that cylinder would overheat. It's a fairly clean tractor-the duct tape just looks tacky, not that anyone would care but me.

Chris G

Did a bunch of work on my 401. Can all be seen in restoration section.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, chip61 said:

LOL I saw it when I bought the tractor and I immediately stuck it on there with duct tape-don't think previous owner worked it too hard I think he just used it to pull trailers around the yard. A LOT of air moves through that opening if it isn't blocked off, I can see how that cylinder would overheat. It's a fairly clean tractor-the duct tape just looks tacky, not that anyone would care but me.

If it's still fairly pliable it should fit snuggly over the oil filter and seal it to the air shroud without any adhesives or sealant, Jeff.

15220954819203321301392494610112.jpg

IMAG4338.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

rjg854
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

Drove a whopping 10 miles to pick this up. The K-341 on my B-160 

I looked in the manual section and couldn't find one for a B 160 :think:  I didn't think :wh: made a B 160  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 1

Racinbob
11 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I looked in the manual section and couldn't find one for a B 160 :think:  I didn't think :wh: made a B 160  :confusion-scratchheadblue:

You must not be looking hard enough :wacko::ychain:

Actually, you won't find one. In 76 and 77 the B's and C's were identical except for some cosmetic things and, of course, the horsepower. I bought a new 1976 B-80 off Chandlers showroom floor. It didn't take long for me to convert it to a C-160 and then there's the story behind it going to a new owner when we moved to Florida and, much to my amazement, I got it back 17 years later when we moved back here. When I converted it I removed the B-80 decals off the hood stand but I knew I wanted to get a new engine for it and was willing to go 12, 14 or 16 so I waited until I could find what I wanted. Well, I found a sweet K-341 so B-160 decals it will be. For many reasons this tractor is very special to me and I'm thrilled to have it back. :)

• Like 6