Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Aldon
15 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Any chance of getting some measurements from you? I have a 551 here that is missing the complete rear plate so have nothing to go by. PO gave up on the project after removing what was left of it.

Transmission hole spacing not a problem but don't know how far above the frame they are.

Are they centered on the frame width?

Is the plate even with the bottom of the frame?

Also how far above the frame is the center of the clutch shaft?

How far from the plate to the center of the shaft?

Garry

Absolutely. As partial repayment of the support you offer everyone else. I’ll try and get the measurements for you in next day or so.

Also, you may want to reach out to @953 nut as I know he ended up with a 551 frame that similarly was hack welded by a previous owner from me at the show. I don’t recall the shape of the backplate but he might be willing to cut that free and send to you.

Edited by Aldon

Tgtack
1 hour ago, Aldon said:

Almost too hot to work in the garage. Mid 90’s. But like @Sparky, I managed a few hours with the granddaughters working at repairing the hack job frame repair some prior owner did to the 551 I picked up at the show. Managed to get the welds removed. Will work in an appropriate repair while we wait on axle seals to arrive.

@Aldon

@Aldon I have been told that this is a factory modification to the frame to prevent cracking of the transaxle frame mount. This is on my 551. Even if not factory, a good solution to your problem.

KIMG0228.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Tgtack

Working in the garage fixing the issues on my 654. Friday afternoon at the big show, the steering fan gear broke where it was pinned to the shaft. Installing the replacement steering shaft today. The replacement pinned gear/shaft was tight, but I had my friend weld the gear to the shaft with nickel rod like the 65 and up shafts. Also patching the fuel tank that had a hold punched in it from a weld that was not ground off at the factory, and a small section of seam that was not soldered very well and was seeping fuel.

KIMG0230.JPG

KIMG0229.JPG

KIMG0231.JPG

• Like 5

ztnoo
1 hour ago, Aldon said:

I managed a few hours with the granddaughters working

Great bonding experience with your granddaughters.

Imagine if they absorbed, helped, and witnessed what happens with  "hands on" mechanical tinkering.  facepalm.gif.e4c27b1f9a6c6d8a638be08aa9884662.gif

You may have just started an educational experience for them that........oh my........might lead to a engineering profession!

But.......maybe not.

At least they had fun with their grandfather on a holiday........doing something a little different.

Sounds pretty patriotic to moi!!!

5b3d31fddf653_1777StarsStripes.jpg.b5e5e0222d2890252f7472853c77a500.jpg

• Like 4

Tgtack
31 minutes ago, Aldon said:

Absolutely. As partial repayment of the support you offer everyone else. I’ll try and get the measurements for you in next day or so.

Also, you may want to reach out to @953 nut as I know he ended up with a 551 frame that similarly was hack welded by a previous owner from me at the show. I don’t recall the shape of the backplate but he might be willing to cut that free and send to you.

@gwest_ca @Aldon, I think you might be able to use the frame section found on the later model short wheelbase tractors, just flipped. It would need to be trimmed a bit at the top. Look at the picture I posted of mine, it will give you an idea of the size and orientation.

Edited by Tgtack
  • Sad 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Aldon said:

I will take some pictures and PM @gwest_ca with the dimensions, If he wants the plate I could cut if off and send it to him, considering how much he does for us that would be the least I can do.

• Excellent 1

rjg854

Looking fine, Richard :handgestures-thumbupright::text-coolphotos:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

I was able to get my 520 to start correctly (using the key switch). Then I repaired the seat tracks so that the seat does not wobble any more.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Had a great time at the parade showing off a Big Horse and a little horse to about 5-10,000 people or more.  

4893D5A8-8162-4BB9-84B5-58FBC9F8E5E2.jpeg.0ad172df14f9e67c965c196a78b1f63a.jpeg

It was awesome to share this experience with my kids. I’m so thankful to live in a country where we have the freedom to enjoy events like this!:flags-usa:

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 6

gwest_ca
12 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I will take some pictures and PM @gwest_ca with the dimensions, If he wants the plate I could cut if off and send it to him, considering how much he does for us that would be the least I can do.

Thanks for the offers everyone.

I have had the metal put away for the repair for a few years now. The location of the holes and plate had me guessing so was watching for an opportunity to get that info. The posted photos were a good reminder.

Garry

• Like 1

bds1984

New front shoes on my C165. I like the looks of the 18x8.50-8 turf tires much better than the 16x6.50-8 ags. She looks more like the C195 I had before.

20180705_180513.jpg

• Like 5

squonk

New hoses on the C-160

5b41efc93baa1_hoses001.JPG.1bcfc842e2e06fd0ee6b158732d45a69.JPG

5b41efd17fc42_hoses004.JPG.95dbc3478d32c66f9ff0eee4937c1854.JPG

• Like 6

chip61

I've been using the 416-H as my main mower since I got it a year ago. A couple weeks ago I decided to clean up the deck and sharpen the blades on the 314. I installed the deck on the 314 last weekend. I guess the 416 got jealous because after about 10min run time today it started surging and stalling-would only run with 1/2 choke so the 314 got a good workout. That 416 has never missed a beat since I got it until today-I'll look into it when I get a chance but timing is terrible. We had some sort of microburst down in Mathews on Friday and I have a lot of tree to clean up. Two truckloads so far-probably 3 or 4 more to go. Whatever this was it peeled the neighbor's tin roof off his new garage like an onion peel.

• Sad 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Chip I didn't know about the microburst, weather up here was find. My 416 did the surging mess today and I just fiddled with the high speed idle and it cleared up.

chip61

Yea, if my neighbor hadn't called me I wouldn't have known anything about it until I got down there on Sunday. Weather up here was fine. I really didn't have time to fool with the 416 the other day, I will probably take the C160 down there to use and bring the 416 up here to work on it. Between cutting up the tree and trying to stay ahead of the grass I don't have much time to work on anything when I'm down there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

nnero
On 7/4/2018 at 6:36 PM, 953 nut said:

My cosmetically challenged 418-C runs great and is a great worker, but it needed some help in the looks department. I pulled the sheet metal and did a quick paint job and added a set of @Vinylguy patriotic decals, love it. Found some RED skateboard grip strip for the running boards.

101_2328.JPG.604774891cae1775153ac49a1723ab2e.JPG101_2332.JPG.ec858c1075ecefa2bd1053b65c6e0e09.JPG101_2336.JPG.d411d3c67bf68f2be74fe4d692a2433a.JPG

Great job! Where did you get that seat cover? Looks like a cableas logo? Thanks

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
4 hours ago, nnero said:

Where did you get that seat cover? Looks like a cableas logo?

I bought it at Tractor Supply. The logo is   :hide:   Cub Cadet  bur it is a nice cover and the price was reasonable.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

nnero

Haha ok. It does look good though!

• Like 1

chip61

It does look good-I need a couple of them. I'll have to check Tractor Supply here.

pdubray

New seat for the old Wheel Horse, a great reproduction from Bob Ellison. Was looking to put a new seat on my 1054, have been sitting on an old kitchen chair cushion all these years due to a flat seat. It is great to keep it looking as close to original as possible. Thanks again Bob, great job!

20180712_190433-1 (2).jpg

• Like 8

Ritter

Hi all.  May not be the most attractive on the lot, but certainly has an incredible back story.   Thanks to fellow contributors,  I finally replaced the 40 year old seat, got a much awaited throttle lever and added some ‘faux’ tail lights for effect.   

Hopefully soon, I’ll find an affordable and newer Horse with some more Umph than 8 HP and a wider deck. This guy I have deserves summers off!

F779D3A5-F968-406B-8D89-EFA939AF0515.jpeg

63747847-586D-442A-A563-6ED9F8F9EB1E.jpeg

FB9294B5-2B74-429D-921B-37917EA0B54E.jpeg

C3869A5C-737F-4185-A683-5474A2C3AD98.jpeg

Edited by Ritter
  • Like 4

Ritter
3 minutes ago, Ritter said:

jpeg