Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

953 nut
5 hours ago, cschannuth said:

How fast should I be traveling when I am plowing?

Ground conditions will tell you if you are too fast or slow. Depending on compaction and moisture content, soil type etc. you may need to alter your speed on any given day.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

@cschannuth I rarely have ever plowed in 3rd gear just simply because most of our soils around here are too heavy for that.  I agree with Dick in that conditions will dictate.  Last fall I went to my uncles and was plowing in one of his soybean fields on a Saturday evening.  The moisture content in the soil was perfect and the plowing was really good.  I had other obligations and could only plow for an hour or so.  The next day was sunday and I was excited to plow for several hours in the afternoon however it was sunny and breezy all morning and by the afternoon the soil had dried enough that I could barely keep the plow in the ground!  Jim, by contrast, has very sandy soil and I found that I needed to plow in second or my tractor would tend to spin out.  Second gear kept the tractor moving enough where it was grabbing fresh hunks of sod with the land side tire and giving me the much needed traction.  

Short answer: I usually plow in hi range 1st or 2nd.  If it will plow good in 2nd I keep it there, if the plow won’t stay in the ground I try 1st.  If I know I have good adjustments on the plow and it still won’t stay in—I know the soil is too tough to plow on that day with my GT. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

cschannuth
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

@cschannuth I rarely have ever plowed in 3rd gear just simply because most of our soils around here are too heavy for that.  I agree with Dick in that conditions will dictate.  Last fall I went to my uncles and was plowing in one of his soybean fields on a Saturday evening.  The moisture content in the soil was perfect and the plowing was really good.  I had other obligations and could only plow for an hour or so.  The next day was sunday and I was excited to plow for several hours in the afternoon however it was sunny and breezy all morning and by the afternoon the soil had dried enough that I could barely keep the plow in the ground!  Jim, by contrast, has very sandy soil and I found that I needed to plow in second or my tractor would tend to spin out.  Second gear kept the tractor moving enough where it was grabbing fresh hunks of sod with the land side tire and giving me the much needed traction.  

Short answer: I usually plow in hi range 1st or 2nd.  If it will plow good in 2nd I keep it there, if the plow won’t stay in the ground I try 1st.  If I know I have good adjustments on the plow and it still won’t stay in—I know the soil is too tough to plow on that day with my GT. 

Thanks.  My plow doesn’t always seems to want to turn over the dirt fully so I thought more speed might throw it over a little better. I’m definitely a rookie and still learning. 

• Like 3

squonk

Put the recycler on the C-160 yesterday.:) It's snowing today! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

PeacemakerJack
4 hours ago, cschannuth said:

Thanks.  My plow doesn’t always seems to want to turn over the dirt fully so I thought more speed might throw it over a little better. I’m definitely a rookie and still learning. 

I can’t stress enough the importance of a shiny plowshare and moldboard.  If you have a rusty one, you should take some time with a sanding device to polish it up some. Then maintain it.  Don’t ever leave a polished plow out in the elements, I personally rub grease or heavyweight oil over mine if they will be stored for a period of time.  A rusty plow is a sticky plow, and a sticky plow doesn’t turn the soil well. 

As as far as “being a rookie” we all started sometime at everything we do.  I’ve been plowing for awhile but I still learn new tricks and tips nearly every season—either by experience or by education from my fellow plow dogs. I’m just glad that yet another :wh: guy is getting into turning earth!  It takes some patience and guidance to get it down pat but stick with it and you’ll be “plowing like a pro” in no time.  

It’s hard to explain those days in the furrows where the tractor is running good, the plow is scouring great, soil conditions are near perfect, and the weather is comfortable—when you get to experience that, you’ll be hooked for good!

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Shynon

Got the lawn rolling, thatching and sweeping done. Put some new shoes on the front of the loader. Along with some new thrust bearings from @wheelhorseman

20180429_154659.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

cschannuth
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I can’t stress enough the importance of a shiny plowshare and moldboard.  If you have a rusty one, you should take some time with a sanding device to polish it up some. Then maintain it.  Don’t ever leave a polished plow out in the elements, I personally rub grease or heavyweight oil over mine if they will be stored for a period of time.  A rusty plow is a sticky plow, and a sticky plow doesn’t turn the soil well. 

As as far as “being a rookie” we all started sometime at everything we do.  I’ve been plowing for awhile but I still learn new tricks and tips nearly every season—either by experience or by education from my fellow plow dogs. I’m just glad that yet another :wh: guy is getting into turning earth!  It takes some patience and guidance to get it down pat but stick with it and you’ll be “plowing like a pro” in no time.  

It’s hard to explain those days in the furrows where the tractor is running good, the plow is scouring great, soil conditions are near perfect, and the weather is comfortable—when you get to experience that, you’ll be hooked for good!

Thanks for the great insight. I bought my plow used and you can tell it was stored outside. I thoroughly clean it after use and I oil it before I store it inside.  I don’t have it shiny so that will be my next project. Thanks again. 

• Like 3

19richie66

Very cool!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

the bridge that my honey built by hand.

Image result for she is a keeper

• Like 4

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Image result for she is a keeper

AYUH !!!!!

• Like 1

BPEisenhower

Hello Horse fans! I took PeacemakerJacks advice about Valspar and after some searching, I finally got a gallon of paint and 2 cans of hardener from Farm and Fleet of all places. Not bad for $30.00. Now for sandblasting, Scotchbrite, and patience. Thank you Peacemaker!!

image.jpeg

Edited by BPEisenhower
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
16 minutes ago, BPEisenhower said:

got a gallon of paint and 2 cans of hardener

May need to pick up some reducer too. Won't spray well without it.

Lane Ranger

Took two of my RJ frames apart today to get sabndblasted.    Disassembled parts and primed and painted some gas tanks, seat springs,  cables , etc.   

I may only have  enought good parts for two RJ's instread of three but will make sure the trransmission parts and othe goodies get reused, sold or  saved in some way!

136.JPG

137.JPG

138.JPG

146.JPG

139.JPG

140.JPG

141.JPG

132.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

chip61

Didn't get to do anything to mine, but I worked on my neighbor's daughter's Cub Cadet and looked at her poor Horse-I think this is a good case of abuse that should be reported! She asked me to get it running and get a new seat for it because this one moves around, but I think the seat is the least of her worries!!  Poor Horse

Cheryl1.jpg

Cheryl2.jpg

Edited by chip61
pics didn't upload-operator error
  • Sad 6

WHX??

Nothin ther Chip61 for me ..... Lane you the only guy I know paints on a garbage can and come smelling like a :wh:!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Got it Chip.....eitch......:deadhorse:

TonyToro

My neighbor and I welded up the Wheelie bars and the front weight bar. I started priming the tins a few days ago. Hopefully the paint comes in tomorrow and I can get painting. She’s starting to look like something.

C782B06D-89C4-4C7D-B044-3B150F558C74.jpeg

80680DDD-63B2-4B80-BA38-A40BC44FF35D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

BPEisenhower
On April 29, 2018 at 6:43 PM, 953 nut said:

On April 29, 2018 at 6:43 PM, 953 nut said:

I found some PPG Delthane/Delstar fast reducer and fish eye remover. Painted my IH 560 worker this winter. Hopefully this Horse turns out as well. 

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

Got up ealry and started painting my RJ  redo again.

Painted another RJ gas tank  and the frame which I had sandblasted and primed yesterday!

021.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

CountryRock

Got everything back on my 246H on Sunday.  Was a little late when I finished and the weather was garbage yesterday so I waited til today to start it.  Fired on the second crank an it sounds sooooo smooth.  Pretty happy with it as this is the first time I've done engine work like this.  I ended up setting the smoke alarm off in the garage from all the oily dirt burning off the exhaust, lol.  Other than that, no issues.  Hat tip to @Docwheelhorse for all the advice he gave me while working on this.

Edited by CountryRock
  • Like 4

ohiofarmer

I sanded the rims  10 front and 8 rear and decided that it was time to make a wheel rotating device so i could spin the  wheel while painting.  All it took was an MTD rear differential with mounted wheels, a Harbor Freight battery powered drill, and piece flexible tubing. The tranny has an 11 to 1 gear reduction, so the drill on slow turns the wheel much slower  Use the tubing to join the drill to the transmission drive, Flip the axle to a standing position, and that is it.  Redneck Solutions Inc.:happy-jumpeveryone:

I have developed a way to paint the entire wheel in one operation. I am gonna owe you guys pictures of that 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1