Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

dells68

Did you mean to say BEAD breaker?

:ROTF:  yup!  Didn't even notice spell check messed up something else.  Hate it when technology thinks it's smarter than I am!  Maybe that was my inner voice coming out:ROTF:.  But seriously, check out their bead breaker!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Don't get the small tire tool , it is a waste of money. Get the floor mount model .

• Like 1

Goldann520

@Sarge, @953 nut, @dells68, thanks guys giving me some hope and DRIVE to save em. Really want to cause they're the wider deep dish rims than I have. Tires have holes big enough to see through. Sat flat forever. Lots of rust on rims but still solid.

• Like 2

Goldann520

Thanks @elcamino/wheelhorse, have a couple harbor freight stores down here. Will check it out if not too steep.

• Like 1

pfrederi
15 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

Thanks @elcamino/wheelhorse, have a couple harbor freight stores down here. Will check it out if not too steep.

I have both the Harbor Freight small tire and regular size tire machines.  Both do sort of OK for what they were designed for.  However they do not do real well if the tire bead is really stuck on the rim.  i bent the heck out of the bead breaking part of the larger machine.  To break stubborn beads i use one of these.  The gray one is a beast and will do up to 24 inch wheels.  But it is a bit slow.  Most time i resort to the slide hammer.

Edit:  started thinking about how much I have invested in tire tools,  also have 10 different Kentool tire irons and  Cheatah bead seater.  But rough calculation between WHs Big tractors military vehicles and trailers/wagons i have over 100 pneumatic tires to worry about.

IMG_0107.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Goldann520

Taks guya, @WVHillbilly520H, @elcamino/wheelhorse, @953 nut, @pfrederi, @dells68, for giving me the encouragement to continue on with removal. Was this close to tossing em in the dumpster yesterday.  Took all your advise and went to my favorite rust breaker,  DISTILLED WHITE VINEGAR. Sprayed the bead and took a chisel and cut the metal bands on the bead and they just about fell off!!!!! Thanks again all!!! Started cleaning them up after. Will 10.50's work on my 312-8? These are wider rims than I have now. Or should I go with 9.50's.

20180321_152112.jpg

20180321_152104.jpg

20180321_152107.jpg

20180321_163449.jpg

20180321_163435.jpg

20180321_163505.jpg

Edited by Goldann520
  • Like 5

ebinmaine

@Goldann520 nice job!

WVHillbilly520H

@Goldann520, are those 8.5" wide wheels(bead to bead)? if so 10.50s will just fine and the backspacing/offset of factory WH wheels should be just fine with the 312, Jeff.

• Like 1

Goldann520

Ok thanks @WVHillbilly520H, measured em to a hair over 8" quickly by eye, rims on tractor like 7 3/4"? Sound right? RUSTY rims a little wider (1/4" 0r so) than rims on tractor with 8.50's. Good to know the 10.50's will clear everything, I like the wide tires. Next decision turf or ag. Hmmmmm. My green 214 has ags and weights for heavy work already,  only like $20 more for ags. Tough choice 

WVHillbilly520H
3 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

Ok thanks @WVHillbilly520H, measured em to a hair over 8" quickly by eye, rims on tractor like 7 3/4"? Sound right? RUSTY rims a little wider (1/4" 0r so) than rims on tractor with 8.50's. Good to know the 10.50's will clear everything, I like the wide tires. Next decision turf or ag. Hmmmmm. My green 214 has ags and weights for heavy work already,  only like $20 more for ags. Tough choice 

Not trying to spend your $ but I'm thoroughly impressed with the OTR brand AGs I bought at the beginning of the year and run truer to size than some off brands like I have on the '95 both brands are 23x10.50, Jeff.

IMAG3953.jpg

IMAG3921.jpg

IMAG3958.jpg

IMAG3930.jpg

IMAG3951.jpg

IMAG3922.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Goldann520

@WVHillbilly520H, whats the price difference jeff? I see off brand ags on e bay for $120 to $130 no shipping and the turfs $100. Those do look a lot wider for sure. Also, do you think it's worth upgrading to 8" on the front? I think I can live with the 6's for $50. Don't know about the flotation difference. 

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
15 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

@WVHillbilly520H, whats the price difference jeff? I see off brand ags on e bay for $120 to $130 no shipping and the turfs $100. Those do look a lot wider for sure. Also, do you think it's worth upgrading to 8" on the front? I think I can live with the 6's for $50. Don't know about the flotation difference. 

The OTR are cheaper ($170/pr) than Carlise Tru-power, as far as the front tire/wheels if you up grade/size you'll also have to find the correct spindles or it will look like an old gasser with 8" wheels.

Screenshot_20180321-201924.png

Goldann520

Ok @WVHillbilly520H jeff, thanks as always for the insight. I love the gasser look on a '61 corvette, but not my garden tractor. Will stay with the 6's unless a front end comes along with spindles and rims. Thanks Terry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Check out classifieds here on the forum , may get lucky.

Southerncannuck

Today's project was replacing the drive belt. Come to find out the tractor had the wrong sized belt. It was 1/2" in width and it calls for 5/8". 

Its a different tractor now. I have to take it easy with the clutch if the RPMs are high. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Southerncannuck said:

Today's project was replacing the drive belt. Come to find out the tractor had the wrong sized belt. It was 1/2" in width and it calls for 5/8". 

Its a different tractor now. I have to take it easy with the clutch if the RPMs are high. 

Amazing how using the right parts makes all the difference in the world.

FYI. I find with my b80 I have to let out the clutch with the engine at a fairly low RPM pretty much every time.

• Excellent 1

Goldann520

Alright guys, @WVHillbilly520H, @953 nut, @elcamino/wheelhorse, @ebinmaine, @pfrederi. Before I go any farther with these rims, are they wide enough to support 9.50's or 10.50's? Jeff mentioned 8.5" rims. These not that wide but have more dish than the stockers. Help!!!!! Backspacing seems to be the same on both 

20180322_145458.jpg

20180322_145555.jpg

20180322_145614.jpg

pfrederi

They are 7 inch rims you can use 10.50 but depending on the brand (actual sizes differ between brands) they may look bulgy  You need to measure the backset correctly. Lay a straight edge across the rim on the back side then measure down to the hub ring.  most horses use 1-3/8"

• Like 4

Goldann520

Thanks @pfrederi did wh make wider? The dish looks a lot wider than the stocks. '91 312-8. Will probably go off brand so won't be so wide like Jeff's. @WVHillbilly520H

pfrederi

There are 8 inch rims  Edit;  wh didn't make rims they bought them  You can get rims up to 12 inches i think.  (My d200 rims are I think 12""

Edited by pfrederi

Southerncannuck

I also replaced the battery. It had no battery or wiring when I bought it. Not knowing any better I installed a 200 CCA battery.  It wasn't enough.  

Today i I replaced it with a 390 CCA Interstate battery. Starts much faster. 

dells68

@Goldann520, I'm sure glad you were able to save those rims!  They are way too nice to be tossed!  Let me know how your tires work out and what you do.  I still haven't hit the bullet on a set for my c125.  Might be a while now, as I'm picking up a D at the show in June.  Gotta quit this buying thing!!

Goldann520

Ya tougher desicion than I thought. @dells68, I love ags, but like I said the JD already set up with ags and weights, so thinking going turf? Iam going bigger tires and have a slot and sleeve hitch for the 312 so idk. Finished wire cupping, cleaning and got 2 coats of primer on today.

20180322_172353.jpg

20180322_172439.jpg

20180322_172422.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@Goldann520 Awesome job on those rims!

About the tires... ags vs turfs.

Is there a Specific reason you DO or Do NOT want more ags or more turfs??

I'm pretty well set on ag tires but I have no lawn to screw up.

Just curious....

dells68

@ebinmaine just hit the ole nail on the head.  What do you want to do more with the tractor?  Yard chores?  Plowing chores?  Grass you'll want turfs.  Plowing or pushing and need lots of traction, ags.  Only you can decide on that.  Rims look awesome by the way!:text-bravo: