Ed Kennell

What have you done to your Wheel Horse today?

Sarge

I've had several that had stuck rims on the hubs . In the past I've used a long pry bar and sharpened the tip enough to get it started in behind the hub lip, then keep working at driving it in a little at a time all the way around in various spots to avoid breaking the cast hub. If you go too hard in one spot - the hub will snap off the outer ring since it is thinner and brittle to start with being cast iron. It helps to soak the wheel mountings from the inside as well - easier for your oil to soak into the joint and helps to break it loose.

Once I get them removed, the hubs are pulled completely off as well and run a file over the flat seating area where the wheel is bolted, especially the inner center ring to remove corrosion or blast it clean. When I re-install the wheels they always get a coat of Syl-Glide on that seating ring to prevent rust welding the two parts together as well , helps a lot in the future.

Welcome aboard, btw...

Sarge

• Like 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

back off all five wheel lug bolts a quarter turn  (one wheel at a time) and drive it in a figure eight a few times

Always works for me

:WRS: @don 76 wheel horse

• Like 3

WHX??

Hang in there Josh plow season is just araound the corner! :) The way that yard looks I think we should turn it over and reseed just for the halibut! :lol:

Edited by WHX14
  • Haha 6

PeacemakerJack

I almost hooked on a Brinly but I didn’t think the wife would approve of random furrows in the front yard:auto-layrubber:

plus—I’m not convinced the frost is out yet—kinda cold around here yet...:occasion-snowman:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Hang in there Josh plow season is just araound the corner! :) The way that yard looks I think we should turn it over and reseed just for the halibut! :lol:

You guys grow FISH  !!??!!

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I almost hooked on a Brinly but I didn’t think the wife would approve of random furrows in the front yard:auto-layrubber:

plus—I’m not convinced the frost is out yet—kinda cold around here yet...:occasion-snowman:

Ok !

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! 

Several things here. 

You're a guy/dude/man/male etc...

It is NOT your job to think !!

Second: about the furrows. .. I've stated at least once on this site: it is usually easier to Ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission. 

Third: don't worry about the frost. That's what high idle is for! !

• Haha 4

WHX??
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You guys grow FISH  !!??!!

Ahhhh earth to EB earth to EB  over.....:lol: 

• Haha 4

WVHillbilly520H
11 hours ago, WHX14 said:

Ahhhh earth to EB earth to EB  over.....:lol: 

Ah Jim I could say the same to you, as I finally got to test out the OTR AGS in a heavy wet 7" snow on Monday without chains and tagged you but no response, anyways nearly flawlessly on unfrozen ground...just don't add rubber paddles to the impeller on the deuce and clear 3-4" deep gravel/stone driveways...

IMAG4260.jpg

IMAG4259.jpg

IMAG4269.jpg

IMAG4263.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

PeacemakerJack

That is a bummer Jeff—the stones beat those rubber paddles up.  That is one of the advantages that we generally have up here in the “far north”—the ground is usually frozen like concrete when we are moving snow.  It is always a bummer though when the ground is soft and we have to move snow like you did, ruts and tore up grass not to mention kicking stone if you have a gravel drive...

I’m glad that the OTR’s worked good.  They sure look great on there.  You know me, I’m a sucker for a pair of AG’s on a GT!!!!  

Thanks for the update.  I’ll check in on your thread too...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vinylguy

Went to my buddies shop yesterday and the bike lift was open (which is unusual) so Gary thought it a good chance to get the commando out and try to remove the hitch pin.

Once we got the wheels off I noticed some play in the left rear hub. moved in and out on the axle about an 1/4 inch. Called up our good friend Rmaynard for advice and got that issue resolved.

thanks Bob. About 3 weeks ago I sprayed Aero-Kroil on the hitch pin and figured we would still have to cut the pin to get it out but after a couple taps we saw it move and were able to

punch it out with little trouble. Ordered one of Lowell's awesome hitches and got it installed. High quality product as always Lowell, Thank You.  The brake was a little weak on the down slopes last year. I am pretty sure the commando wont float.

The adjusting nut was rusted up also but after 30 minutes soaking with a kroil treatment it was good to go. Love that stuff.

Hoping to find a good lawn sweep now that I have a hitch. Noticed the original Wheel Horse tires are age cracked on the inside. I think I mowed all last summer with no air in them. Will start looking for some new tires.

Oil change and a good cleaning next. Then load it on the trailer and take it back out to the lake April 1st. Almost forgot, Need to mount a good adult beverage holder. :handgestures-thumbupright:

kroil.png.5f80830f05fb808922a1f1c20dbd6cef.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

@dells68 What kind of rust converter did you use. The tractor and deck are really looking good.

• Thanks 1

dells68

I used the Rustoleum stuff you can get at Lowes.  I've used it for a couple of years now and it seems to keep the rust at bay as long as you wire wheel the metal really good first and topcoat it with something.  I used another brand on a VW Thing I did and it's held up great.  Only time will tell.  Topside of the deck ain't gonna be real pretty thanks to my welding skills or lack of, but hopefully I've added a few years to its life.  Got it and Roadrunner for $50 at the Big auction last fall - and people laughed at me!

• Like 5

Southerncannuck

I added a tachometer and adjusted the idle speed and mixtures. 

Waiting for breather gaskets to adjust the valves. 

• Like 3

19richie66

Got my 417-A running again, adjusted the brake pedal on Skittles and finished stripping the parts 418-A I have. Kinda productive.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Tankman

Did consider, "Spring starts tomorrow!"

Removed chains, took the snow plow off, the '90 520-8 is ready to dethatch the lawns.

Ground is very soggy, but, the Horses 'n I are ready. Or....will be. :think:

One poor Horse, upset, still wearing his dozer (just in case). His Horse friend still dressed for mowing, eager to graze on grass! Hasn't been out to play since fall.

Prefer the green grass smell over the wind blowing white cold wet nasty junque. You?

Isn't this why our stables need more Horses? One for each grandson, another for every chore. Even the Mustang wants out!

WH-Group-All-4.thumb.jpg.ae282dac685a2fd42c20312f46cd2c81.jpg

C_and_tractors.thumb.png.73e10aec2c5a14c82e4c72468af63054.png

Mustang.jpg.ad76010b35ec9ac6cba75c7131743a7e.jpg

• Like 8

19richie66

I have two of those little mustangs. Very simple but cool machines. One day they will get thier turn.

• Like 5

Goldann520

Got my steering wheel on the 312-8 finally! (Was steering with 2 broken nubs) tried to center wheel but rt side tie rod not adjustable? '91 312-8, whats up with that!!!! Even my green has 2 adjustables! @ACman, @WVHillbilly520H, she's coming along slowly. Btw had to drill out top plastic of wheel and DRIVE that sucker  (sawed off steering shaft) out bottom. 

20180319_174444.jpg

20180319_174417.jpg

Edited by Goldann520
  • Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, Goldann520 said:

Got my steering wheel on the 312-8 finally! (Was steering with 2 broken nubs) tried to center wheel but rt side tie rod not adjustable? '91 312-8, whats up with that!!!! Even my green has 2 adjustables! @ACman, @WVHillbilly520H, she's coming along slowly. Btw had to drill out top plastic of wheel and DRIVE that sucker  (sawed off steering shaft) out bottom. 

20180319_174444.jpg

20180319_174417.jpg

I think @wheelhorseman, makes an adjustable set of you can make your own, also if you pull the steering shaft up out of the fan gear and move 1 tooth to the left to help recenter, I know it's not a 520 with car style rod ends, I'm not even sure the 400 series had adjustable ends, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Goldann520

@WVHillbilly520H, moved the shaft on the fan gear today. Now it's off a tad the other way, but not as bad. At least i got the steering shaft tightened up really well with the collar and snapring. Started breaking down tires off old wider RUSTY rims I picked up with the other goodies this weekend. Tires won't budge off the bead. Tire shop or throw em away. TERRIBLE!!!!!

20180319_174423.jpg

• Like 2

dells68
58 minutes ago, Goldann520 said:

@WVHillbilly520H, moved the shaft on the fan gear today. Now it's off a tad the other way, but not as bad. At least i got the steering shaft tightened up really well with the collar and snapring. Started breaking down tires off old wider RUSTY rims I picked up with the other goodies this weekend. Tires won't budge off the bead. Tire shop or throw em away. TERRIBLE!!!!!

20180319_174423.jpg

Best investment I've made is a tire head breaker at Harbor Freight.  It's designed for 15" tires, but I haven't met an 8" or 12" tire it wouldn't unseat!  Save those tires and rims brother!!

• Excellent 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, Goldann520 said:

Tires won't budge off the bead.

Push them down as far as you can with a clamp or whatever and then spray PB Blaster in the gap all the way around.

5 minutes ago, dells68 said:

a tire head breaker at Harbor Freight.

Did you mean to say BEAD breaker?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sarge

It all depends on how you use the tool - some of them are dual-purpose.

If the rim needs painted, put a few c-clamps around the bead and apply some brake fluid to the stuck bead ring on the tire with a paint brush. In a few days, it will come off a lot easier.

Sarge

• Like 2