The Gman

Hello from the great white north

The Gman

Hi, I'm Gary from Ontario Canada. I joined a number of months go but this is my first post. This forum is fantastic! So much to see and learn. I have currently have 4 horses. An 87 312-8, 89 520,  71 A800 ranger and another one I could use some help confirming its identity. I'm not sure if it's an electro 12 or a charger 12. I've seen pics of the electro with both "electro" and "wheel horse" hood decals. Is the hydraulic lift a rarer find. The engine is in rough shape. Burns oil, and has a number of oil leaks. It was already re painted when I got it. Thanks for any help you can give.

Gary

20180113_123611.jpg

20180113_123627.jpg

20180113_123644.jpg

• Like 5

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Gary.        I may be wrong, but I believe the Electro came with the electric PTO clutch.    May help with the ID.  Other members may be able to tell  by the transmission engagement handle.

WHX??

:WRS: Gary

look right under the dash to see if there is a tag there with the model number.  It may be missing or painted over.  If not that there see if you can post a pic of the engine id plate. That would help also.

Definitely got the wrong fuel tank but still a nice survivor. :handgestures-thumbupright:

The Gman

Hi Ed, thanks. There is a utube video of a guy with both a charger and an electro. The electro does not have the electric pto but has the hydraulic lift........ so confusing....

I can mtell the hood decals were replaced.

Thanks again.

953 nut

:WRS:     there have been a few modifications made by previous owners including the horn and gas tank are NOT :wh:. If it was an Electro (and the dash has not been replaced) there will be a switch for the electric PTO between the throttle and choke, don't see one on yours. The hydraulic lift could be found on the Charger or Electro. If the model number plate is not on the dash tower the PTO switch would be the only give away.

The Gman

Wow...WOw..and WOW. Red square is the place.

I took a pic of the engine plate and found the tag below the dash. It was painted so I didn't notice it a first. Is this enough to id. the beast?

20180115_120338.jpg

20180115_120932.jpg

20180115_120417.jpg

• Excellent 2

pfrederi

Model number makes it an Electro 1970  Listed Spec number for the engine should have been 47371C

The engine spec number you have is listed for the 1969 Electro I have a 69 and it has eh 47147C motor.  However WH probably had some 47147C engines left aftr 69 and used them in 1970.

Your engine originally had a Breakerless ignition system.  It has been replaced with a battery system...much easier and cheaper to work on. 

Electro also would have had an electric PTO but when they failed it was common to substitute a manual.  The hydro lift was standard on Electros optional on Chargers.

They are fantastic tractors.  I have 4 Chargers and Electros.  You absolutely can't beat them for snow plowing work

I think it should have had hub caps also  (at least the 69s did)

Also looks like the lift control valve has been replaced

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

Yup 1970 Electro 12 serial No 640380

Type 7255 in the search box upper right corner pull down files and hit search. You will find every thing you need for the tractor in the way of manuals, service bulletins and what not.

• Like 3

The Gman

First off, thanks Ed, WHX14, 953nut, and pfredri. All a great help. And again I say what a great forum! I look forward to being part of Red Square. I'm working on getting the A800 ranger up and running then to rebuild the now to be known "Electro 12" engine.

Have a farm a little north of me and there is Toro Wheel horse in the drive shed. Never payed too much attention to it as it was Toro branded but, I do recall a factory tag on it that said "experimental not for sale". I'll have to take a better look and will let you know.

Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

WHX??
12 minutes ago, The Gman said:

"experimental not for sale". I'll have to take a better look and will let you know

:wwp:

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

KC9KAS

Achto

Looks like some of the guys have you covered so :WRS:

BOB ELLISON

@GMan welcome to Redsqure. 

I live across from Windsor and if you live north of that it's beautiful country.

This is the best place to get all the info you can ever want for your horse's. 

JC 1965

:WRS:

PeacemakerJack

:text-welcomeconfetti:glad you found us!  Looks like you already have a nice collection of :wh:‘s with more to come if you keep hanging around here:woohoo:!  Definitely want to see pics of the “experimental” machine...:popcorn:

• Like 1

953 nut
22 hours ago, The Gman said:

recall a factory tag on it that said "experimental not for sale".

:wwp:             We all want to see what we were never supposed to lay our hands on!             :text-bravo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

jay bee

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs: Gman

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, The Gman said:

Wow...WOw..and WOW. Red square is the place.

:text-yeahthat:

The Gman

I don't want to disappoint but I'm pretty sure the style is of the HXL series. Thinking it was before they came out with them. Going north this weekend to pick up four new (to me) horses. Suburban, c160, c120 and a 500 special. Been on Redsquare a week and already getting more!!!! Will see if I can get into the drive shed to look at the Toro. Mega snow there in the back lane.

• Like 1

WHX??
52 minutes ago, The Gman said:

disappoint but I'm pretty sure the style is of the HXL series.

Sounds like you know us already!

53 minutes ago, The Gman said:

pick up four new (to me) horses.

Also sounds like you got the bug already! You might need one of these to put up all those :text-coolphotos: we know you are going to have! :)

• Like 2

The Gman

I plan on it. Wanted to get 2 of the red ball caps but they are listed as "sold out" 😯

953 nut
3 hours ago, The Gman said:

pick up four new (to me) horses. Suburban, c160, c120 and a 500 special. Been on Redsquare a week and already getting more!!!!

5a5f9e686a3e1_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.33bddc9c98f9c5027e7ab053b6a28642.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Gman

Not exactly what I was expecting but I couldn't just  leave them there. They were wasting away under tarps. Nice fellow in his late 80's had them. Asking 250 gave him 350. Looks like each one is all there? Won't know till I put all the parts in separate piles.

SB an SK486, 800 special C120 and a suburban. We will see when I sort through them.

Gotta unload now. Wife wants her Pilot back.

20180120_140111.jpg

20180120_140233.jpg

20180120_140326.jpg

20180120_140123.jpg

20180120_140159.jpg

20180120_140354.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

jay bee

You're going to need a bigger trailer (and possibly a larger storage area) if you keep up this pace. :bow-blue:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1