Joemckna82

A-100 Engine Re-Power/Replacement

Joemckna82

Hi all,

I restored a Wheel Horse A100 a few years back. The engine is shot, and I recently brought it back out of storage to try to find a replacement engine, and or do a re-power. I no longer have the original engine. It's a Briggs engine # 251707 0161-01 76061512 (I was able to pull parts on Briggs up by using # 251707 0161-99).

I've sent a number of e-mails off to repower sites as well as Briggs for information. Has anyone done a repower on this particular tractor? I had also been looking for a running parts A100 to pull the motor, but have unable to find one. The deck on mine was also locked up and I'd like to find the mower as well. I know these smaller tractors weren't as popular, but, if anyone has a lead, I'd greatly appreciate it! Tractor turned out great and would love to share it with you all!

I'm a few minutes south of Washington D.C in Alexandria, VA.

-Joseph 

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:Joseph.       :wwp:

wildman
19 hours ago, Joemckna82 said:

Hi all,

I restored a Wheel Horse A100 a few years back. The engine is shot, and I recently brought it back out of storage to try to find a replacement engine, and or do a re-power. I no longer have the original engine. It's a Briggs engine # 251707 0161-01 76061512 (I was able to pull parts on Briggs up by using # 251707 0161-99).

I've sent a number of e-mails off to repower sites as well as Briggs for information. Has anyone done a repower on this particular tractor? I had also been looking for a running parts A100 to pull the motor, but have unable to find one. The deck on mine was also locked up and I'd like to find the mower as well. I know these smaller tractors weren't as popular, but, if anyone has a lead, I'd greatly appreciate it! Tractor turned out great and would love to share it with you all!

I'm a few minutes south of Washington D.C in Alexandria, VA.

-Joseph 

Pretty sure you can repower with an 11hp or 12 hp.

Joemckna82
On 1/15/2018 at 6:17 PM, wildman said:

Pretty sure you can repower with an 11hp or 12 hp.

I can repower with a host of different engines, yes, but the question in terms of an aftermarket repower was which specific engine might work best in this tractor. Was putting my feelers out to see if anyone else had done a repower and could provide a recommendation 

Desko

Had a work horse lt1637 with the twin briggs and it was a great little tractor till second gear went out and I got rid of it. 

ebinmaine

Joe, if you're looking to do a repower with a Briggs.? I know it is not an original but back in the 80s and 90s there was an 11 horse vertical shaft with some kind of a harder cylinder sleeve. I had one a few years back in a little Murray. That tractor had started Life as a 12-horse and someone had replaced it with the commercial Duty 11. My apologies, I can't tell you where to get one. But I really did like that little engine. Gobs of power for the size that it was and it ran nice and smooth.

Howie

The Briggs IC engines had a cast iron sleeve versus the aluminum bore of the other engine. The L-head or flathead engine is no longer produced.

So if one goes with a new one it will be overhead valve engine. Would have to check for clearance between head and hood. I believe there is some

difference between the crank center line and top of head between the two. Might not be enough to make any difference though. 

Edited by Howie

Joemckna82
On 1/19/2018 at 9:14 PM, Howie said:

The Briggs IC engines had a cast iron sleeve versus the aluminum bore of the other engine. The L-head or flathead engine is no longer produced.

So if one goes with a new one it will be overhead valve engine. Would have to check for clearance between head and hood. I believe there is some

difference between the crank center line and top of head between the two. Might not be enough to make any difference though. 

Thanks for the information Howie. I have a few vertical power washer engines (Toro and Honda etc..) that had been pulled from power washers laying around that I was able to set under the hood to get an idea as to size. There's plenty of of room to mount in terms of height and width. Same for the vertical Predator engine that I had been looking at. 

In terms of a proper fitment, the only issue would be the new engine accepting the existing engines drive pulley. I 86'd the existing engine, so I no longer have that as a reference, and have been unable to find the dimensions on-line. If I could find the length of the existing engines shaft, and shaft size, I can attempt to match up to the repower. I contacted Briggs and they sent my request off to Regional weeks ago. Although they manufactured the engine, and I provided all of the # for a look up, not sure they'll be much of a help.

I was able to locate the original drive pulley, if that helps. Only questions would be how to obtain the information I need as it translates to the repower. I'm a little outside of my expertise on this one! Thanks again

Howie

I would guess the shaft is one inch diameter and maybe 3-5/32 length. A lot of these.                    small mowers use this. The only other difference may be the charging system. A lot                       only had a 3amp system on them.

wildman
7 hours ago, Howie said:

I would guess the shaft is one inch diameter and maybe 3-5/32 length. A lot of these.                    small mowers use this. The only other difference may be the charging system. A lot                       only had a 3amp system on them.

This the measurements he can use i checked an 8.10,10.5,11,12,12.5 and a 13hp briggs flat head engines that are in my back shop have these exact measurements 

Edmckna

Hi guys, I took a look online and it looks as though a Tecumseh Enduro (OHV16-204230F) might be a solid replacement. The weldment and housing cover are almost identical to the existing engine. The 1in. X 3/52 shaft recommendation looks accurate. We're going to check the pulley size with a caliper. Any other engines (currently available) with this specific size? Electric start would be a great option and we wouldn't need more than 12HP. Not looking to bust the bank. Definitely some solid engines available, but for some of those prices, we could buy a brand new tractor. Just trying to breathe a little life into a tractor that's ready to roll! Thanks.

Howie

I am not real fond of those engines. Parts availability may also be a problem, the parts supplier told me ordering them is hit or miss. 

They do not make that type of engine any more I believe. Thje carbs are worse than the older ones in my opinion. I would put a 

used briggs on before one of those. Just my opinion on ththat engine.:)

• Like 1

Sarge

Amen that , same here - I'd rather use a half worn out Briggs than put that series Tecchy in it . Besides, the Briggs would run forever if it's one of the I/C series...

Sarge

Edmckna

Good points guys and I'd rather go with a Briggs if I could actually find one (used) online. Anything good currently out there? Thanks again.

Edmckna

Sarge

The Briggs 10-14hp single cylinder engines are used on a lot of equipment , should be plentiful and easy to find in a vertical shaft type, at least around here they are laying everywhere. Might want to call some of the tractor junk yards - Lincoln @A-Z Tractor seems to have nearly anything you'd need and folks have given great reviews.

Sarge

Edmckna
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

The Briggs 10-14hp single cylinder engines are used on a lot of equipment , should be plentiful and easy to find in a vertical shaft type, at least around here they are laying everywhere. Might want to call some of the tractor junk yards - Lincoln @A-Z Tractor seems to have nearly anything you'd need and folks have given great reviews.

Sarge

Thanks @Sarge , I just messaged @A-Z Tractor!!!!!! I agree and we're hoping just to breathe some new life into this old workhorse. Thanks again.

Sarge

Not a problem - search your local area - lots of tractor bone yards around and some have an amazing amount of good equipment and parts at a reasonable cost. Some are the opposite, wanting a nearly new price out of worn stuff that isn't worth the effort - just take it with a grain of salt..or two.

Sarge

Edmckna
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Not a problem - search your local area - lots of tractor bone yards around and some have an amazing amount of good equipment and parts at a reasonable cost. Some are the opposite, wanting a nearly new price out of worn stuff that isn't worth the effort - just take it with a grain of salt..or two.

Sarge

That's been my experience as well. We're into the Sears Tractors and the markup online for some of these parts in the past 4-5 years is amazing. 

Edmckna

My brother ended up purchasing a 14HP Briggs. The engine is identical to the one listed below. Apparently, it came out of a Cub LT1018. Wiring diagrams can be a bit of a pain to find online and "complete" wiring harnesses don't seem to encompass everything that would expect to see, ie: solenoid, kill sensors. Any advice? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/287707-0153-Briggs-And-Stratton-I-C-14HP-Engine-Vertical-Shaft-Single-Cylinder/292406717117?epid=6010775281&hash=item4414cc6abd:g:23kAAOSwOYFaWYfM

On 1/25/2018 at 11:48 AM, Sarge said:

Sarge

That's been my experience as well. We're into the Sears Tractors and the markup online for some of these parts in the past 4-5 years is amazing.