Sign in to follow this  
Walt

Slip Sliding Away

BOB ELLISON

I need to do this too. But I'm going to replace with tri ribs. Some guys use a #40 bicycle chain around the middle of the tire. Deflate the tire and install the chain then inflate it to hold chain in place. But there not good for blacktop or concrete drives .

• Like 5

Cvans

Your probably going to have to make your front chains narrower so they won't hit. I have front chains on the snowblower tractor and really like them. 

• Like 2

Walt
44 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

I need to do this too. But I'm going to replace with tri ribs. Some guys use a #40 bicycle chain around the middle of the tire. Deflate the tire and install the chain then inflate it to hold chain in place. But there not good for blacktop or concrete drives .

Everything I clear is either blacktop or concrete. I lift the blade as I transition to pushing the snow out into the side yards where I pile it. I found out many years ago if you clear down to the grass it takes a bit of time each spring for it to heal from being exposed thru the winter. As for the chains on front I'm happy with how well it now handles. So figuring out the tie rod clearance is all due to I have the chains so may as well figure out what I need to modify or do to mount them

14 minutes ago, Cvans said:

Your probably going to have to make your front chains narrower so they won't hit. I have front chains on the snowblower tractor and really like them.

That was one of the things I was thinking about. I have a bag of tie wires in the garage for rebar figured I could wire the cross links 1 or 2 links shorter and see how the clearance works out before actually do any cutting. 

• Like 3

Tankman

Like the idea of front chains. Now another item on my list.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

@Walt, are those new front tires "Trac Gard" or "Hi Run" they are basically the same tread pattern as the ones I have been transitioning to on my 520Hs and IMHO are way better than the factory DICO brand and do hold pretty good mowing on wet mornings and moving snow, Jeff.

IMAG3958.jpg

IMAG3933.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1