Carlos VB

Greetings from Spain

Carlos VB

Hi, I wrtte from Spain. First thing excuse my english wrtting faults.

One year ago I bught a 312-8, I am not mechanically oriented so I bring the WH in general mechanical workshop. One year working without much troubles in my horse property, very usefull, and very happy with it.

But one wekk ago something was wrong when I started, first click sound ok but at the second try of starting no the everyday familiar sound only a zzzzmmmmm. My  nearest machanical shop guy came and tol to me the starter had "explode". Well , the point is how can a I get a new or old but "in shape" starter, i don´t know the number a Kohler distributor in Spain asked me for. There is no number around the ttractor, nowhere.

Help please.

IMG_20180104_182937.jpg

IMG_20180104_182331.jpg

• Like 5

Tankman

:text-welcomeconfetti: Welcome to Red Square!

Surely a forum member who can help you with your starter problem will chiming in soon. Good luck.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

Carlos:   The starter may not be bad.      On theses Kohler  Magum motors I found that the Bendix (front part of the starter) with the teeth tends to stick  and could use some lubrication.   Getting the starter off is somewhat difficult on this motor.  But you don't need to take the starter off the motor block.  Two bolts are  on right side near belt guard that hold the starter in place.   You could also have a bad solenoid  if lubing and freeing up movement of the stater head does not work.

I have  lubed with everything in place and freed up the Bendix using WD 40 .   

I have also removed the front motor cover  (there are several bolts to do that and just remove bolts and loosen from the motor block to access the Bendix or head of the starter to get a view of what is  happening when you turn on the motor from the key switch) 

New Starter if yours is bad or broken:

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/starter-for-kohler-10-12-14-16-hp-cub-cadet-toro-massey-ferguson.html?mrkgcl=1145&mrkgadid=3179573198&rkg_id=h-2063cad8fefb47952b6f60365e8012b2_t-1515946634&product_id=SAB0060&adpos=1o2&creative=196860178241&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnOzSBRDGARIsAL-mUB170x63DOyMHrTpuQTdjojmNTxfa4WUH_mVWoduEzI5DT5U6KU0qKUaAoaeEALw_wcB

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ztnoo

Welcome to :rs: ,Carlos!!!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

rmaynard

Carlos, Welcome.

I know that it is difficult to try to translate from Spanish to English and vice-versa, so if you don't understand what is being told, please don't give up. Keep asking. We will eventually get you an answer that you can understand.

I wish that I had stayed awake in school during Spanish class. 

By the way, we have another member in Spain named Carlos. He is in Madrid. @carlosking450

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

formariz

Hello Carlos and Welcome.

Like it was mentioned before your starter is probably OK.Try the following  first: If your starter turns when power is applied to it,but will not engage engine the Bendix is most likely stuck or frozen.Its an item that needs occasional maintenance. When power is applied to starter ,the gear at end of starter moves forward on the threaded shaft therefor engaging flywheel. Most likely that is not happening on yours and starter just spins therefor the sound you hear. You need to lubricate shaft. You probably can get it unstuck by just applying a little pressure to that part of it with a screw driver's tip. Refer to photos below, and to video to see how it operates.

IMG_0942.JPG.35d8d95c8dd380c250b9c89295c0b9c6.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG.a1e59aebf677d9b4329d4c5e9f4f3ade.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG.de9cf812055e9b0fc05ae6737411940c.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG.d377ec0cde78eaa7403cbc6e11171b12.JPG

IMG_0945.MOV

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

KC9KAS

@Carlos VB :WRS:  Others here have given good advise on the starter, so I won't add anything to their comments.

Your English is just fine, and we know what you are talking about.

As @rmaynard said, if you don't understand what we are trying to say, let us know and we will try harder to help you.

We are one big,  happy Wheel Horse family here and ready to help our neighbors.

Edited by KC9KAS
spelling
  • Like 6

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:     All great advice above.  I agree it is very possible the starter did not "explode"    .

The starter and solenoid should be checked separately   by applying  12V power directly at the devices to determine if they are working properly.  If the starter spins or whirrrllls., like stated above, the starter motor is probably OK ad the "Bendix" engagement gear  is stuck and simply needs cleaned and lubricated.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Carlos VB

Thanks to every body,  I will take the tractor to the shop. But the man told to me that it could be seen somehing broken. I will tel you next step when dismounted.

I have enough work with six horses and big house restoration. And in one month I will be in the sixties.

Thanks again.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

formariz
1 minute ago, Carlos VB said:

Thanks to every body,  I will take the tractor to the shop. But the man told to me that it could be seen somehing broken. I will tel you next step when dismounted.

I have enough work with six horses and big house restoration. And in one month I will be in the sixties.

Thanks again.

Good luck and let us know. If you do need a starter they are very common here and not that expensive. Shipping will probably be more than the actual starter. We can steer you in the right direction if you need one.

I will be joining you in the sixties in a few months too.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to Red  Square @Carlos VB You can try this before you take your tractor to mechanic. Purchase a can of spray brake cleaner. The can usually have a small plastic tube that come with them . Where the starter is inside the housing for the motor , spray all around the inside of the opening. Sometimes that will free up the Bendix on the starter.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

KC9KAS

@Carlos VB Some of us have been in the 60's for a couple of years now, and some folks on here are way past the 60's!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

953 nut

:WRS:       Your English is very good, better than some Americans I know!

When your mechanic takes a look at the tractor be sure to have him clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds. A bad connection can prevent a good starter from operating  properly.

The best lubrication to us on the Bendix drive is a dry graphite spray, it will lubricate without attracting dirt deposits.

Image result for dry graphite spray lubricant

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

paxz71usa

:text-welcomeconfetti: Carlos

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Carlos: El juez de salida puede no ser malo. En estos motores Kohler Magum encontré que el Bendix (parte delantera del motor de arranque) con los dientes tiende a pegarse y podría usar algo de lubricación. Quitar el arranque es algo difícil en este motor. Pero no es necesario que quite el motor de arranque del motor. Dos pernos están en el lado derecho cerca de la protección de la correa que sostiene el arrancador en su lugar. También podría tener un solenoide defectuoso si no funciona la lubricación y el movimiento de liberación del cabezal del estator.   

Espero que esto ayude.

13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:       Your English is very good, better than some Americans I know!

When your mechanic takes a look at the tractor be sure to have him clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds. A bad connection can prevent a good starter from operating  properly.

The best lubrication to us on the Bendix drive is a dry graphite spray, it will lubricate without attracting dirt deposits.

Image result for dry graphite spray lubricant

Thanks Richard I never saw that product before. Looks like it can work very well. I have been using silicone.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Hey Carlos...that looks like a "high mount" starter.  I did a thread with pictures a few years ago...shows a few tricks and it may help you and your friend.  Here is the link.  :)

• Like 2

Carlos VB

Hello again

Finally I decided and have time to bring out some screws and I found this:  the "axis" is broken. Some ideas ?

I don´t know the starter model yet,

Thanks

IMG_20180227_112352.jpg

IMG_20180227_112414.jpg

wildbill59

Wow - that's not good... I've never seen that happen before! If you have a mechanic that you can trust, and he can rebuild that starter for you at a reasonable price, you can probably find someone to send you a used armature (I'm sure I have one somewhere). Otherwise, like Formariz suggested, those starters are cheap and plentiful in the states. Check to see what shipping costs would be, I'm sure one of us can help you with the starter or parts that you need. Welcome to Red Square!

• Like 1

jay bee

Just a quick check with USPS site shows a 5 pound Priority Mail International package would be about $59.00.  More weight would cost more money.  6 pounds is about $61.50.  4 pounds is about $55.50.

Priority Medium Flat Rate Box which you can put up to 20 pounds would cost $69.00.  Delivery time on either is 6-10 days.

Just a little more info to add to the pot.  I hope it helps!

Jim

• Like 2

Carlos VB

Thankyou for your answers !

I will try to bring out the starter , I want to be sure about the starter model.

• Like 1

Carlos VB

...not easy with the dipstick in the way !!

Edited by Carlos VB
  • Like 1

Carlos VB

Great, here it is !!

IMG_20180306_131701.jpg

Carlos VB

And this is the new one... I will try to find it here in Europe :)

Starter Model.jpg

formariz

That is pretty high priced Carlos.You can use a aftermarket one . Same as the Kohler. Most likely all made by the same people unless it is NOS. I am not sure if it goes that high from here even with shipping . you should be able to get one for about $50.00. How long could you wait for one? Are you in a hurry to get it going?

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2