Jakeshorsetuff

k301 carbon build up under head

Jakeshorsetuff

Hi everyone I just rebuilt my k301 and it has 5 hours on it but there's some carbon build up on the block and the head but mostly on the intake valve. Can anyone tell me if this is normal. I do use mystery oil in the fuel on each fill up. 

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

Achto

It looks pretty normal to me. Your rings are defiantly not broken in yet. The top of the piston should also be mostly covered with carbon. I would put it back together and put some hours on it.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

hondagod64

i WOULD SUGGEST SEA-FOAM WITH THE FUEL....NEVER LIKED MYSTERY OIL

Tuneup

After I was sure mine would run unaided and all was well, I fired up the deck and put a good load on it for about 30 minutes before changing the oil and inspecting it. Seat those rings and you'll have the satisfaction of a job well done.

Anglo Traction

Yep!, agree with all replies. Carbon build up mainly down to fuel quality and Ethanol ratio in a good engine.

I see the Exhaust Valve is the right pale colour, so the Carb/mixture is right.

The clean ring around most of the the Piston Crown is 'Oil Wash' caused by the slow 'Bedding In' process of the Cylinder Wall Hatch marks and the Rings.

May take longer to Bed In if the Rings are Chrome (hatch marks look to be at the correct angle for that type of ring).

Certainly use an additive in the Fuel to reduce the Carbon build up. Looks good for many hundreds of hours running :thumbs:  

Jakeshorsetuff
1 hour ago, Anglo Traction said:

Yep!, agree with all replies. Carbon build up mainly down to fuel quality and Ethanol ratio in a good engine.

I see the Exhaust Valve is the right pale colour, so the Carb/mixture is right.

The clean ring around most of the the Piston Crown is 'Oil Wash' caused by the slow 'Bedding In' process of the Cylinder Wall Hatch marks and the Rings.

May take longer to Bed In if the Rings are Chrome (hatch marks look to be at the correct angle for that type of ring).

Certainly use an additive in the Fuel to reduce the Carbon build up. Looks good for many hundreds of hours running :thumbs:  

They are oem chrome rings and they'll broadly need more time to bed in than after market stens' piston rings.I used OEM cause it seamed like the sten rings were very flimsy. Thanks 

WH nut

Run it, and run it hard.