squonk

520H Throttle cable freezing

squonk

Having trouble with the throttle  cable freezing on the 520 when snowblowing. It froze up in like 5 min. I wanted to idle down but it was stuck at 3500 RPM. I got a heat gun out and when I hit the area where the cable loops under the engine by the air intake shroud, the engine started slowing down. I wonder if the air being sucked by it is the culprit. Trying to figure out what to use to insulate it. 

shallowwatersailor

Sounds like there might be moisture in the cable sheath. Try lubricating the cable. You may need to pull it out completely.

• Like 2

Jerry77

Had that problem with a 314-8....squirted a lot of wd-40 down the cable from the top ...solved the problem.....:twocents-02cents:

Edited by Jerry77
clarification
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

If you can hang the cable so one end is higher than the other it can be lubed by poking a hole in the corner of a small plastic bag. Place the end of the cable in the hole and tape the bag to the cable casing. Hang the bag and add some light oil to the bag. It will force the water out and replace it with lubrication.

Garry

• Like 2

cleat

Pulling the cable or at least disconnecting and dropping the engine side down do it can drain then heating it so the ice can melt first will be a big help as well.

• Like 2

squonk

Thought also about cutting some small bubble wrap and wrapping the cable and then covering the bubble wrap with a piece of split gas line or vacuum hose. It's the low spot on the cable so it makes sense that moisture has collected there.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 1

rmaynard

After you have removed the water from inside the cable, and added some lube, try putting one of these cable seals on the end to keep water the out. Available on eBay and possibly your local motorcycle shop.

seal.jpg.bbb6c936d0892fc0a308df0daa9bce17.jpg

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

I had a thought remember the old limos of the teens and twenties , driver up front , rich so and so in back spoke in tube to tell driver who what  and where. Hook up tube to surround cable and talk to your self into cable ( hot air should keep cable from freezing). I had to write this I could not help my self . :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

squonk
47 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I had a thought remember the old limos of the teens and twenties , driver up front , rich so and so in back spoke in tube to tell driver who what  and where. Hook up tube to surround cable and talk to your self into cable ( hot air should keep cable from freezing). I had to write this I could not help my self . :ROTF:

Things must melt around your house quite often then! :)

• Haha 3

elcamino/wheelhorse
27 minutes ago, squonk said:

Things must melt around your house quite often then! :)

Not today too dang cold . Needed to get some stuff straight in the shed , put on long johns , 2 pair of socks and had the a roaring fire in the stove , I made it for about hour and a half. 

• Like 3

WH nut

Pull the cable off and soak it in a bucket of trans fluid. Let it work its way all through the cable.

cleat

Do you have the little end seal ? Is it in the proper pushed on position as shown ?

These do tend to fall off.

5a5cd37e73713_Cableendseal.JPG.9c917fc635e8f2d2d2dc50873dcdd706.JPG

Also, the cable outer sheathing can get damaged.

I slip on heat shrink tubing then shrink it on tight. 2 layers of this will work best for added abrasion resistance.

You can just make out the start of one on a throttle cable on my 520HC just forward of the battery.

5a5cd38472b7c_Cableheatshrinkrepair.JPG.9e00aeb02253447fe402de5b636ec64f.JPG

Cleat

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1

cpete1

I'm having the same problem, I have one of those motorcycle lube tools but it wouldn't force the lubricant through. I ended up taking a piece (2") of clear 1/4" tubing and sliding over the carb end of the choke cable (after I took it off the tractor) and sprayed PB blaster, Seaform deep creep into the tubing like a reservoir, worked the cable a bunch of times and then let it soak overnight hanging vertical in the vise. Even my compressor wouldn't push the stuff through. I worked the cable some more and now the stuff is slowly running through. A bunch of black gunk came out. Put it back on this morning... we'll see what happens. This -13 degrees stuff is a little too much for anything....

Hope you're having success fixing some of your stuff..

Chris

Bushradical

I had the same problem with my 310-8 this winter. Cables freeze up. I removed them both and hung them up next to the wood stove, and in minutes I got a little puddle of water out of each of them.. Then i dripped PB blasted slowly down inside the cable casing one drop at a time.    Now both cables work smooth as butter. In my opinion, you just have to get the water out of the casing.....you'll never get perfect results without draining out that water.  I got about 1/4-1/2 of a teaspoon out of each cable.......when you consider how very little space there is between the cable and the casing.....there must have been a good deal of the cable froze solid whenever it got cold enough. It would get so I couldn't move them at all when it got really cold. Draining and lubing fixed all the problems. Those cables could have been accumulating moisture for years. Once it gets in the rubber coated cable casing it has no way to ever get out short of removing the cable and draining the water out.  Good luck.

• Like 1

squonk

Well I unhooked the throttle end. A little water came out. Got the cable luber which sprayed lube all over who knows how much got in the cable. I wrapped the area that froze up with a layer of bubble wrap for insulation and wire tied it on. Then I slit some heater hose and covered the wrap. I put heat shrink on the exposed end at the carb. We'll see if this works. Too much trouble with the cab on to take the entire cable out. If there's another issue, I'll take the cable off when the cab comes off

Edited by squonk

AMC RULES

I've read where others have just cut away a portion of the casing...

from the lowest spot, to prevent water from collecting there. 

I would think if you just cut it there, with a slight bend so the water can get out...

should do the trick.  :confusion-shrug:

squonk

Running the blower sends snow everywhere. With the high water ice content of the last storm, putting any opening there would just invite a freeze. The flywheel fan would suck all that airborne moisture right into the cable.

cpete1

Mike,

Follow up to my previous post:

We've had some 10 degree nights and got some snow last night. I had the tractor in a cold shed. Had to plow, the cable was working fine. I think its fixed and won't be a concern. It took some doing and a lot of black gunk came out of the cable when I was working the cable in the vise but it seems to be much better and it's not freezing up anymore. 

Hope you get your situation solved.

Edited by cpete1
  • Like 1