squonk

Winter Storm Hunter

Mikey the Monkey

I'm envious if that c-160. She's a beaut!

• Like 3

squonk
18 minutes ago, Mikey the Monkey said:

I'm envious if that c-160. She's a beaut!

The motor in my 1267 went sour fast. I had to dig the 160 out of the shed and swap all the snow stuff over on Thursday night. 

• Sad 1

Sparky

Looks like fun (sorta 😄 ) ....it got warm here and all of the snow we had on the ground melted. My yard a few days ago had 6" of snow and today it's all grass!

• Like 3

rjg854

We had just the reverse of that, all our snow melted over the last couple of days. Had to deal with the usual flooding problems with a quick snow melt. Yesterday it was 60 degrees, today 16 degrees and an easy foot of snow. Like Mike said a wet thawed ground and a layer of freezing rain and sleet before it turned to all snow.  Oh what fun it is to ride a wheel horse in the snow. 

• Like 2

953 nut
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Had the 520 out first with the blower    get the C-160 out to scrape it down     move the piles with Elvis.

Mike, you are just having too much fun!             :ROTF:

• Like 2

Cee245

@squonk have you tried a cable lube tool like this one? I haven't tried in on a WH but use it on lots of other things.

Cory

15158863005831914133930.jpg

Retired Wrencher

Mike have you ever tried a cable lubricator? Like this? these work great. Never had a sticky cable using these. I some times cover the hosing with 1/4" shrink tubing to seal it. Enjoy.

power luber.jpg

Sparky

Anyone want to explain how this cable lubricator works? Never seen or even heard of it before. 

AMC RULES

Lane Ranger

Hey this is the best information so far this year on Red Square!    

Got a buy a couple cable lubes!

jeff lary

I saw this thread and I do it myself without a tool .Total is (maybe .50 cents ) for a small hose clamp which you probably already have.

1) Disconnect the cable from the Carburetor end so the cable is free from all connections on this end.

2) First I take a piece of some scrap gas line that is large enough to go on over the cable.

3) Then I  and Cut off about 6" of this gas line preferably see through.

4) Slide about 1" of this line on over the cable, and Use a small hose clamp to clamp the line tight around the cable.

5) Fill the remaining empty portion of the gas line with Marvel Mystery oil .

6) Now get your compressor air gun and wedge the end of your gun nozzle into the line so it fits tightly, and hit it with compressed air.

7) This will force the oil into the cable, I do this a couple times till oil comes out the other end.

This whole procedure takes about 10 min including removal and reinstallation of the affected cable. And It works wonders good luck with whatever you choose to do but this is easy and free.

Edited by jeff lary
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

stevasaurus

I feel for you Mike.  I know you are one of the guys that takes the time to prepare for winter.  It's a bummer when things break just when you need to have it working.  :think:

• Like 2

ztnoo

These motorcycle cables lube devices have been around for 45 to 50 years.

If you ever messed with bikes with mechanical cables.....brake, throttle, choke, etc., you would have known about these slick little tools.

I was in the bike crowd long before the tractor crowd came along to me..........even did a little road racing.

Rather poorly, I might add.

A tight end size guy giving away 60 - 80 pounds to horse racing jockey sized guys doesn't equate to riding at the front of the field.

Something about a power to weight ratio thing........1f914.png.fb36f3cbcf4ce9f2ebabae17962210da.png

squonk
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

I feel for you Mike.  I know you are one of the guys that takes the time to prepare for winter.  It's a bummer when things break just when you need to have it working.  :think:

The worst was Skonk. Really plowed good with the limited slip. Started oil foiling the plug so bad I had to scrape it to get it clean. Tried an anti-fouler to get by and it didn't help at all. Had to transfer the loaded tires plus the weights & chains. Being sick for 2 weeks and working late a lot didn't help either.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

stevasaurus

You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up and call me in the morning.  Wooo woo.  :occasion-xmas:

Anyway...it is supposed to warm up again this weekend.  It probably means more snow, but it also means time to fix a few things.  Get better my friend.  I recomend rock & Rye cut with Vodka...doctor's orders.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

squonk

I'm thinking Super Buffet in Rochester followed by a trip to Harbor Freight for some free entertainment tomorrow. Gonna hit a couple of bike shops looking for a cable luber. Can get one from Amazon but I'd rather but local.

• Like 3

Retired Wrencher
15 hours ago, squonk said:

I'm thinking Super Buffet in Rochester followed by a trip to Harbor Freight for some free entertainment tomorrow. Gonna hit a couple of bike shops looking for a cable luber. Can get one from Amazon but I'd rather but local.

Mike you will like it. I have had mine 15 years now. I used to race snowmobiles. Still works fine. Like I said if the outer housing is chewed up  clean the sharps parts of and run some 1/4' shrink tubing over it to seal in the lube. You will be happy.:D

• Like 1

WHX??

What have you gotta do with the 1267 motor then Mike ...total rebuild?