IdiotBoy

Crazy Electrical Problem

IdiotBoy

I have a 1973 Wheelhorse 8.  I picked this machine up in September.  It's all original but hadn't run in 5 years.  I got it running and plowed some snow with it, but it's never really run right.  It seems like while it's running, it has intermittent spark...seems like the motor is skipping.  Now the latest problem is I went to start it and it wouldn't start...it just turns over.  It had no spark.  I have power to the positive and negative side of the coil.  I changed the coil, the solenoid and even put a different battery in.  I had these parts on hand and I know they are good parts so I didn't spend any money doing this.  It is still the same problem.  I have power on both positive and negative sides of the coil and the minute I put the positive cable on the battery with the negative side off, I have power to the coil and solenoid.  I am starting to think it's the safety switches.  I have one on the clutch and one on the PTO.  I have a new ignition switch on order.  The wiring is all original and not cobbled together.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by IdiotBoy

rmaynard

You should only have power to the negative side of the coil when the points are closed. Sounds like you may need to take a look in that department first. Points should be clean, and gapped at about .020.

:WRS:

• Like 5

squonk

If you don't have a 12V test light, go buy one. Put the lead to ground and the pointy end on the neg of the coil. Crank the engine. the light should flash. if it stays on, look at the points like Bob suggested. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

pfrederi

By any chance does it have a Champion Spark plug?  i had a C81 drive me near nuts once, turned out to be the plug.

953 nut
2 hours ago, IdiotBoy said:

while it's running, it has intermittent spark...seems like the motor is skipping.  Now the latest problem is I went to start it and it wouldn't start...it just turns over.

Invest in a new set of points and a condenser, chances are the problem will be solved.

• Like 5

gwest_ca
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

You should only have power to the negative side of the coil when the points are closed. Sounds like you may need to take a look in that department first. Points should be clean, and gapped at about .020.

Other way around.

You should only have power to the negative side of the coil when the points are open. The points simply ground the coil which takes it to 0 volts when they are closed. If you have steady battery voltage at the coil (-) the points are not closing or the contact surfaces are dirty preventing them from make electrical contact.

Garry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

Brain freeze. I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction @gwest_ca

• Like 5

Digger 66

Welcome to Red Square !

wallfish

-Is the condenser connected to the negative side of the coil?

-Make sure your ground cable ends are clean and tight. If the ground cable isn't connected directly to the engine mount bolt, make sure at least one bolt is clean and has a good connection.

-Try testing the safety switches by jumping them one at a time to see if that's the issue since you're questioning them in the first place.

-Key switch may be corroded inside causing an intermittent issue

-Plug and plug wire good?

-Hope you have a warm garage to work on it. It got cold again

-:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

WH nut

Sounds like you have a ground issue

• Like 1

JimmyJam
On 1/15/2018 at 10:57 AM, WH nut said:

Sounds like you have a ground issue

My thoughts too! Make sure you have good, clean, ground contacts throughout.

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti: TO :rs: