GREYGHOST

312-8 Tiller Question

GREYGHOST

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjF9LarnrzYAhXMRSYKHc0aCV0Q8TUIJjAA&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

OK I've searched through the forum so much I'm getting a headache. I'm trying to find an answer to this. Will a  WH 36" Tiller GT

Model # 79370_3900001. & up work on my 312-8? Will the Ol 12 HP Kohler have the guts to run it in Low 1 or 2 ? If so, what do I need as far as attachment hardware? The one I'm looking at is supposed to have a complete set up. Including wheel weights and chains. But since I've never seen one hooked up or even used one, I'm at a loss here. I have a Blade on her now, so I have axle brackets. Which from reading seem to be universal? One was talking about making sure of a Lift Assist Spring (not sure of that one). So if any of you folks could lend a hand. It will be Appreciated a Bunch.

gwest_ca

That is the one you need. The parts list will show all the pieces

Here is how it goes together

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jerry77

i'm sure no expert, but that 12 horse should be more than enough power...:twocents-02cents:

• Excellent 1

bj_

I put my tiller on a 310-8 that has been repowered with a kohler 12hp and have never had an issue with power.  I tilled close to an acre of new garden space with it one year and it did a great job.  It's great to just sit and not to have to walk after a narrow tiller.  If your going to be tilling on hills I would suggest putting weight on the front because with the tiller the front end gets pretty light headed up hill.  I have had my tiller for 7 years now hand haven't ever regretted that purchase.  If the one your looking at is coming off a hydro you will need the other size clevis that attaches to the cable to the lift.  Good luck

• Thanks 1

GREYGHOST

Thanks Garry, but in reading that manual if I'm reading it right. It's saying that, the tiller fits 1976-77 B or C series tractors. The seller thinks it will fit. I just don't want to throw away money if it won't work. Did, WH manufacture different tillers for each model? Or just one, with different mounting hardware? Thanks Again

Brent

Thanks, BJ. I have to ask,, what is the part# of your tiller?

Brent

bj_

mines a 97-36tl01  it's a 1979.  The difference in the older tillers  themselves and the newer ones is where the lift attaches but if it's the older version there will be differences some of the other hardware as well which could get costly.  If  you look  in the manuals at the tillers you can see the difference between the different lift styles.  If the lift hardware looks exactly like the picture in gwest_ca post then it should work with your machine.  When i went to buy one i put a wanted add on craigs list about this time of year and was surprised by the response.  so if your not sure about this one I'd do that and see what comes to you.

• Thanks 1

GREYGHOST

Thanks BJ.

gwest_ca

The 79370 tiller with a 39xxxxx serial number is a 1993 model.

It will also fit the older models as listed in the manual using the instructions provided.

The 1974-77 C-Series tractors became the C-xx1 tractors for 1978-79 and the C-xx5 tractors 1980-84 and the 300, 400 and 500-Series 1985-2012.

If you go back up to the links to the manuals click on the poor pictures of each file and it will take you to the cover page for that file where notes have been added about the item.

The main differences in the tiller models over the years was the lift arrangement changed in 1978 because the fuel tank got moved from under the hood to under the seat.

The 12hp engine has plenty of power in low range as the slow ground speed is needed to give the tiller a chance to do it's job.

Garry

• Like 1