upstate yank

B-80 8 speed

upstate yank

again to all of you who know so much than i do as really back in the early 70-80 era i collected and restored so many of these fine old horses but time has moved on and i have forgot things but i would really like to know is why all of a sudden my B-80 won't start as it always did before but once i attached the mower deck and had to shut it down a few times to make adjustments ;it will not start ;the battery is fully charged but once i turn the key there is nothing i have even changed the key switch and still nothing ;could it be the starter is locked up ;i have even checked the safety switch on the pedal and it seems to be alright 'so really where do i go from here 'i have 4 in the garage a very nice and old charger 10 automatic ;a 1995 314-8 with the 16 horse with the tiller and as i have mentioned the B-80 and the C-160 there is nothing like having a few horses in the garage ;but any input would be great '

Ed Kennell

Is the PTO disengaged?

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH
7 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Is the PTO disengaged?

:text-yeahthat:

Don't ask how I know...

• Like 1

953 nut

The first step in curing any electrical problem is to clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds.

I tent to agree with the PTO as a potential problem also. While holding the key in the start position try to move the PTO lever slightly.

8 hours ago, upstate yank said:

could it be the starter is locked up

To confirm the condition of the starter with the transmission in neutral you can take a jumper cable directly from the starter to the battery "+" which eliminates all other connections and devices.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

TDF5G
On 1/11/2018 at 9:42 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Is the PTO disengaged?

:text-yeahthat:

JimmyJam

Safety switches have a huge impact whether a machine works or not. Some times they rust out a bit. A little fine sandpaper and manual movement helps out to get 'er moving!

Safety switches on clutch pedal and PTO engagement for B-80.

Also make sure all ground contacts are good and clean.

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Like 1