upstate yank

1975 wheel horse hydrostatic 14 horse

JimmyJam
7 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It has been confirmed that it is a 1973 16 Automatic! It is a Hydro. The Hydro Lift was an option.

All of this was covered several posts ago. Quit :deadhorse:

True...it was! Then, I noticed that it had a foot-peg instead of the 1970's foot rest. Got me thinking is this some kinda model smash?? Just me thinkin' !!! Richard... I will quit & shut-up!

953 nut
8 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

I noticed that it had a foot-peg instead of the 1970's foot rest.

The picture of the peg with a stirrup foot rest wasn't his tractor. 

13 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

Just me thinkin' !!! Richard... I will quit & shut-up!

:text-imsorry:     No offence intended, just wasn't sure if you had read the earlier posts.

JimmyJam

NP Richard! Probably not.... 2-pages.

:huh:

I have a 1973 Auto 12 with hydro lift. This one just did not look right to me for the very same year.

• Thanks 1

upstate yank
On 1/16/2018 at 1:26 PM, 953 nut said:

It has been confirmed that it is a 1973 16 Automatic! It is a Hydro. The Hydro Lift was an option.

All of this was covered several posts ago. Quit :deadhorse:

yes i did quit with the questions as i know from others here it is a 73 with the 16 horse the only other question i had was the carburetor ;did order a new one and hopefully once it arrives i can get the old girl to fire up ;i did have a few other questions here but seeing how i am a pest i won't ask any more ;i can go it alone but thanks again for the reply ;

On 1/16/2018 at 2:06 PM, JimmyJam said:

NP Richard! Probably not.... 2-pages.

:huh:

I have a 1973 Auto 12 with hydro lift. This one just did not look right to me for the very same year.

thanks for the reply and i have found out though other members here that is a 1973 with the 16 horse ;it does have a switch for a electric clutch but that is not hooked to anything the wires are wrapped in tape' i have seen more of the hydro lift types than the electric type ;heck who knows what the other owner did to it ;but in time i will get it up and running ;thanks for the reply 

On 1/16/2018 at 1:54 PM, 953 nut said:

The picture of the peg with a stirrup foot rest wasn't his tractor. 

:text-imsorry:     No offence intended, just wasn't sure if you had read the earlier posts.

i have been off this site for a few days and haven't read the current replies; but again i will back off from any more questions i have ;but in time i will get it up and running 

upstate yank

heck if i am a pest here it seems i should bow out and find another group that wouldn;t think i am a pest with a few honest questions ;as everyone really isn't the smartest person alive we learn as we go ;see ya 

JimmyJam

Noooo!  upstate yank . Don't bow out here! You are certainly not a pest!!!! Let us know if the new carb does work for you.

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Excellent 1

upstate yank
13 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

Noooo!  upstate yank . Don't bow out here! You are certainly not a pest!!!! Let us know if the new carb does work for you.

well the thing is i did receive a reply stating that i am kicking a cow down the road and really i have not been on this site for a few days and if i recall the last question i asked was about the carburetor' and that was a few days ago ;again not everyone is a know it all as again we learn as we go' there is a dealer here about 3/4 of an hour away he is a wheel horse guy so it might be best that i just chat with him as he has always been a fair guy and knows what he is doing ;sorry i thought this group was for most questions and if so many do reply that is fine and i really appreciate it but i don't need another member telling me enough if enough and quit kicking the can down the road where i have not been on here for a few days and again only asked one question so the so call member  that stated that well he can well i won;t say what i want to to as i say it like i see it always have '

JimmyJam

upstate yank,  I believe on any forums that you visit, there requires a fair amount of personally "filtering" out any "High-&-Mighty say-you's"! I would certainly encourage to seek out local guys. Learn from them, for they have a vast hands-on knowledge. As for the rest of the 99% of us here on RedSquare (1% rule ruins it for the rest) we are here to help and are interested how you resolved your issue. God Bless. Let us know!

Edited by JimmyJam

953 nut
32 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

i thought this group was for most questions and if so many do reply that is fine and i really appreciate it but i don't need another member telling me enough if enough and quit kicking the can down the road where i have not been on here for a few days and again only asked one question so the so call member  that stated that well he can well i won;t say what i want to to as i say it like i see it always have '

:text-imsorry:           My unnecessary outburst was not directed at you. I was concerned that @JimmyJam was confusing an issue that had already been resolved, guess I should have let it go. 

Please continue to share your journey with us.

upstate yank

again no problem 'that was then this is now time to move on

31 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

upstate yank,  I believe on any forums that you visit, there requires a fair amount of personally "filtering" out any "High-&-Mighty say-you's"! I would certainly encourage to seek out local guys. Learn from them, for they have a vast hands-on knowledge. As for the rest of the 99% of us here on RedSquare (1% rule ruins it for the rest) we are here to help and are interested how you resolved your issue. God Bless. Let us know!

yes at time there is always one bad apple in the barrow but we need to let things go and move on 'the thing is really i used to collect these find old tractors years ago but became a long haul trucker for close to 40 years and now i would like to collect again as now being retired but with this certain model it is so different than the others i have had and even being with out certain parts ;so now i just would like to know what is needed to get it back together as it should be ;i went by what the seller told me that his kids drove it around but heck with out the carb being hooked up and other parts missing i question the honesty of some who are always looking for a quick buck but still for a 100 bucks in time it will be back where it should be ;again that was then this is now ;no issues here i will read and check the listings as i have always done '

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JimmyJam
24 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-imsorry:           My unnecessary outburst was not directed at you. I was concerned that @JimmyJam was confusing an issue that had already been resolved, guess I should have let it go. 

Sorry 953 Nut that I had confused you. I did not read the complete 2-pages of the conversation. I was only mentioning some of what I know from the tractors that I have. True story: I went out to find a 12hp Kohler. Drove 3-hours for one for $100. He couldn't get it to run, so he told me to take the entire Electro 12 with me. Whoa! Not so much when I got it home! It was so bastardized, miss matched parts, wrong hood, wrong dash, wrong year engine, a BOAT seat, screwed up "home-owner-special"! He even used twisted together telephone cord for wiring! Geez! OMG!!!! Took me 5years to redo everything and make it run. So I sympathize with upstate yank for what he is going through. I have learned tons of info on this website. I have truly dealt with previous owners handing me, what I thought was naively good, and thinking elsely in the moment. I  just don't want him to dismiss us and leave! 

:( :(

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
9 minutes ago, JimmyJam said:

I have learned tons of info on this website. I just don't want him to dismiss us and leave!

:text-yeahthat:   We all learn from each other on here and hate to see anyone leave over a little misunderstanding.

• Thanks 1

JimmyJam

So true 953 Nut , I am so sorry for the miscommunication. We should be more clear in our information to others and read comments thoroughly. WE ARE in fact, ALL about WHEEL HORSE . :wh::wh: 

Edited by JimmyJam
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

upstate yank
14 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

So true 953 Nut , I am so sorry for the miscommunication. We should be more clear in our information to others and read comments thoroughly. WE ARE in fact, ALL about WHEEL HORSE . :wh::wh: 

that is alright things do happen ;and yes it is always about the horse wheel horse of course 

14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:   We all learn from each other on here and hate to see anyone leave over a little misunderstanding.

14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

yes that is so true as we all at times need someone elses advice ;im here to stay no problem 

• Thanks 1

JimmyJam

:greetings-clappingyellow::greetings-clappingyellow:

BOB ELLISON

@upstate yank I have read this whole post and I can assure you that nobody has said or implied anything about not wanting to help you. I've been coming here for 2 years now and all we want to do is help you and others fix these wonderful machines. This is the best place to find information about your wheelhorse. I was like you asking questions I thought were silly but I always got the right answers. 

• Like 1

upstate yank
37 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@upstate yank I have read this whole post and I can assure you that nobody has said or implied anything about not wanting to help you. I've been coming here for 2 years now and all we want to do is help you and others fix these wonderful machines. This is the best place to find information about your wheelhorse. I was like you asking questions I thought were silly but I always got the right answers. 

yep as most we learn as we go but heck it has been years i have any horses in the barn and after time we seem to forget certain things plus yes maybe the old age thing comes in to play ;in time it will work out ;as really no one is perfect 'i know i am not but heck i do try ;have a great weekend to everyone '

upstate yank
4 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

sorry it seems my eyes are bad as i thought you lived in the show me state area 

upstate yank
On 1/19/2018 at 7:06 PM, JimmyJam said:

Sorry 953 Nut that I had confused you. I did not read the complete 2-pages of the conversation. I was only mentioning some of what I know from the tractors that I have. True story: I went out to find a 12hp Kohler. Drove 3-hours for one for $100. He couldn't get it to run, so he told me to take the entire Electro 12 with me. Whoa! Not so much when I got it home! It was so bastardized, miss matched parts, wrong hood, wrong dash, wrong year engine, a BOAT seat, screwed up "home-owner-special"! He even used twisted together telephone cord for wiring! Geez! OMG!!!! Took me 5years to redo everything and make it run. So I sympathize with upstate yank for what he is going through. I have learned tons of info on this website. I have truly dealt with previous owners handing me, what I thought was naively good, and thinking elsely in the moment. I  just don't want him to dismiss us and leave! 

:( :(

yes at times we do get the shaft as others who want to sell and really do not tell them the whole truth as so many are money hungry and yes pass off a hot dog ;i am sure once the carburetor arrives i can get it to start well i hope so that is and yes after all of the replies i received im sure it is a 1973 as the other pictures i see of this machine;;what always puzzles me is to why others take parts off as really they are not in anyone's way 'than to let little kids ride them around and really do not know what they are doing and destroy them sure years ago when i had 6 in the garage and different models and years plus most of the attachments and yes  i did let my kids drive them around but they were careful and did  not damage them but again that depends on the owner 'now if i could ask where the heck is the fitting or even the item that you use a screwdriver to turn so it will free wheel as i have looked high and low and even with the decal explaining i still can not find it or again did someone bust it off ;2nd question if i could ask is there an adjustments on the shifter as to yep it goes into the forward than when the brake is pushed the shifter goes back to neutral but i can not get it to go into reverse it wants to but just a little ;and yes still being a horse with no name as they call it i wonder who got the better deal for the 100 ;if the 16 horse starts now that is worth the cash even if it smokes or not 'the oil will need changing plus a few other things but to hear it run is the big thing ;so if anyone can help and really explain or even a picture as where to how to get it to free roll i sure would appreciate it and yes yesterday is go and now another day with better things to come ;if at any time i did offend anyone i am truly sorry as i do try to stay melow at my age but like most certain times we do get temperamental ' 

Ed Kennell

The tow release valve is in under the fender at the same elevation as the decal.  The valve stem is about 3/8th inch dia. and has a large screw driver slot.

You have to release the brake to allow it to go into reverse.

It may be easier to see the tow valve by looking in under the fender between the front of the left tire and the fender.

I have had to remove the fender pan and use a small pipe wrench to loosen some of these valves.

• Like 1

upstate yank
5 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

The tow release valve is in under the fender at the same elevation as the decal.  The valve stem is about 3/8th inch dia. and has a large screw driver slot.

thanks for the information but i can not see any valve as you mentioned and yes i know i should release the brake as even going in to forward but as i mentioned going in to forward works great it is the reserves that seems jammed ;again i have look it up and down and even followed the deal to that elevation ;i am sure it has been busted ;so it seems i will have to wait to install the carb and than try it once i get it to run; 

17 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

It may be easier to see the tow valve by looking in under the fender between the front of the left tire and the fender.

I have had to remove the fender pan and use a small pipe wrench to loosen some of these valves.

a picture is worth a 1000 words if anyone would be so kind to send it as again i am at wits end trying to find it but as i mentioned before i think someone busted it off 'again thanks 

• Sad 1

Ed Kennell

At half time I'll go get you a picture.  Watching the Eagles/Vikings now.

• Excellent 1

upstate yank

thanks again 

Ed Kennell

58a2174e9fb01_pushvalve.JPG.b5226d9926c3e490ac80278fb59f380f.JPG

Here, I found this old picture during a time out.

Oh, I don't remember if this was covered in this  post, but it is possible a previous owner changed to the other model Sundstrand Hydro that has the tow release valve on top of the transmission.

It is a Tee handle at the left rear on top of the hydro.

• Like 1

upstate yank

thanks so much for the picture and yes my other automatic does have the type on the top with the small t-handle but this one is so different ;i will check it out and let you know ;all i know is that there is a decal stating where the valve is and to use a screwdriver to turn it even the arrow points to it but odd i can not see any valve 'again i will check the one in the picture 'i will really never understand why some do the things they do to such a fine old piece of history 'the new carb arrived today and hopefully tomorrow as they say it will be in the high 50 so i might be able to install it and hear it run ;as far as the PTO setup that can wait ;oh i still wonder who really got the better deal here for a 100 but the tires are good the seat is very nice and really for the age it is nice shape ;as the old saying goes rome wasn't built in a day ;so i am very hopeful things will work out in time ;again thanks i for sure will let you know ;

• Like 1