upstate yank

1975 wheel horse hydrostatic 14 horse

upstate yank

i just bought this old 1975 wheel horse hydrostatic with a 14 horse kohler motor for a 100 dollars  the question is it really a 14 horse no hydratics ;yes it needs a few parts even the carburetor as i have tried to start it but it will fire but only for a few seconds even though there are parts missing and i have tried to tow it but i can not find the valve so it will feel wheel as towing it with the wheels locked i don't want to damage the tranny so really any information would be appreciated 'i have other horses in the garage but this one is so different 

image1 (1).jpeg

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

• Like 3

jellyghost

The paint and appearance look excellent.  Why do you think someone robbed parts off of it?

Ed Kennell

The tow release valve is locate under the left fender at the floorboard.   There is a screwdriver slot in the valve stem.  Turn it CCW to tow.   I can see the instruction decal on the fender.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Sparky
8 hours ago, upstate yank said:

i just bought this old 1975 wheel horse hydrostatic with a 14 horse kohler motor for a 100 dollars  the question is it really a 14 horse.

I think its a 16hp....ten head bolts is a 16hp and nine heads bolts is a 14hp 12hp or a 10hp.

At least I think that's the "rule".

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Steve_O

Check the white writing on the left floorboard in first and third photo

upstate yank
5 hours ago, Sparky said:

I think its a 16hp....ten head bolts is a 16hp and nine heads bolts is a 14hp 12hp or a 10hp.

At least I think that's the "rule".

thanks for the information ;i will check the bolts later and let you know how many ;the seller did say it was a 14 as the decal on the shroud is torn and i really can't make it out as a rule it states the horsepower '

5 hours ago, Steve_O said:

thanks for the information i will check it later today as now it is really cold outside ;winters are terrible but what can we do

13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

The tow release valve is locate under the left fender at the floorboard.   There is a screwdriver slot in the valve stem.  Turn it CCW to tow.   I can see the instruction decal on the fender.

thanks so much and really i never noticed the decal explaining that but i sure will check it thanks again 

13 hours ago, jellyghost said:

The paint and appearance look excellent.  Why do you think someone robbed parts off of it?

the seller told me that his younger boys drove it around and he really never explained why they took the pto unit off ;the carburetor he did say he tried it on another tractor he had than put it back on but there are some pieces missing there as well ;thanks again and yes even though it is missing some parts it was well worth the 100 i paided for it ;in time i will get it up and running and the parts needed 

• Like 1

upstate yank
13 hours ago, jellyghost said:

again the complete PTO set up is missing 'the question is why would they take it off people do strange things ;thanks again and yes it is in nice shape for the year ;

if you mean the safety switch on the B-80 i have already checked that it seemed fine ;though i could bypass the 2 wires and it might start ;with this cold spell and no heat in the garage i will have to hold off a few days ;thanks again i will let you know how it goes 

sorry to be a pest here but the pictures are of the C-160 not the B-80 but a dumb question here does the 160 suppose to have the safety switch for the pedal as well as the B-80 ;

KC9KAS

I can see the ID tag on the left side below the fuel tank.....What does it say?

• Like 1

refracman

What you have I believe IF the engine is original is a 1973 16 auto. That type of hydro control is the give away as it was only used in 1973 and the seat pan also.

I don't think the 16hp is original because it has manual lift I have never seen a 16hp auto or a C160 auto without, its most likely a 12 or 10 auto originally.

From 1973 and up it should have 3 safeties , one for the PTO control lever, seat and the brake pedal.

I would not try to start as not only all throttle control linkage is missing but the governor linkage is missing also and could over rev the engine and scatter it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

upstate yank
20 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

I can see the ID tag on the left side below the fuel tank.....What does it say?

dang ;i must be really getting old as i have not noticed that tag; i sure will check it ;thanks for the input 

upstate yank
5 hours ago, refracman said:

What you have I believe IF the engine is original is a 1973 16 auto. That type of hydro control is the give away as it was only used in 1973 and the seat pan also.

I don't think the 16hp is original because it has manual lift I have never seen a 16hp auto or a C160 auto without, its most likely a 12 or 10 auto originally.

From 1973 and up it should have 3 safeties , one for the PTO control lever, seat and the brake pedal.

I would not try to start as not only all throttle control linkage is missing but the governor linkage is missing also and could over rev the engine and scatter it.

5 hours ago, refracman said:

it seems i bought a lemon but heck for a 100 bucks that was cheap ;there is a safety switch for the seat but i can not see one for the pto other than a togo switch on the dash which is disconnected and taped 'or a switch for the pedal ;yep i have tried to fire it up but no success and yes without the other carb parts which are missing is a big problem ;though it does try to start but that is all ;i do have another carb that came off a 8 horse kohler if it ever warms up i can try it but checking the plug it is not wet or even the smell of gas ;i do know that the engine is bigger than a 8 or even a 10 horse ;the seller did say it was a 14 horse ;i will always wonder why people take parts off ;the handle for the lift as well needs the inside lever to adjust it ;and yes i do agree that the ones i have checked do have the manual lift ;still odd why take parts off ; thanks for the information i sure do appreciate it

upstate yank
6 hours ago, refracman said:

it seems you are correct here as far as the year and the engine as i can make out the horsepower number on the decal a 16 it reads  plus there are 10 head bolts ;plus on the dash there is a switch for a electric clutch ;the numbers under the tank on the id tag are

10440-8

serial number  942755 if that is of any help ;the thing is did i buy a lemon or in time fixable ' i do look forward to your reply 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

10440 originally was a (no name) 1973 16HP Automatic with a K341S-71113A Kohler engine and a 90-2046 Sundstrand transmission.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

upstate yank
32 minutes ago, KC9KAS said:

10440 originally was a (no name) 1973 16HP Automatic with a K341S-71113A Kohler engine and a 90-2046 Sundstrand transmission.

thanks for the information ;odd as you say no name not sure what that means but at least now i know the size of the engine ;so now i might be able to get the correct parts ;on the dash it is stamped electric clutch ;i was hoping that a different set up might work as this type here ;not really sure if it would ; thanks again 

59188d0ed552e_IMG_0184(800x600).jpg.0a4ff156ee4462bf23111187d5e51322.jpg

IMG_2040.JPG

• Confused 1

953 nut
7 minutes ago, upstate yank said:

no name not sure what that means

That was a transition year when the names like Raider, Electro and Charger went away and the only designation was by HP and 8 speed or automatic. The following year the "A" "B" "C" and "D" came out. In '72 they didn't have the 16 HP and in '74 the equivalent tractor would have been a C-160 Automatic.

• Thanks 1

upstate yank
25 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

That was a transition year when the names like Raider, Electro and Charger went away and the only designation was by HP and 8 speed or automatic. The following year the "A" "B" "C" and "D" came out. In '72 they didn't have the 16 HP and in '74 the equivalent tractor would have been a C-160 Automatic.

thank you again as now i understand i still think even some parts are missing for a 100 bucks i did alright 'it seems when someone sells they don't tell you the whole story as why parts are gone ;all i was told that the younger boy drove it around but odd how did he do that with the carb parts missing even the governor control ;oh well it happens ;thanks again 

• Like 1

953 nut

Here are some pictures of the throttle/governor linkage you need.. These can be taken from many Kohler powered devices and are not exclusive to :wh:

They are from our picture Gallery on this site.

Yours may not hook up exactly like this one, don't know as I don't have a '73.

953 nut

Here are a few more shots of another throttle hook up (not mine) that may be more like yours.

20150207_162919.jpg

IMG_0397.JPG

5a5aa5965bbb5_1engine.JPG.d88b5cf1c9ea4b3416ff1f693060c058.JPG

• Excellent 1

upstate yank

thank you so much again for the input and yes those are the items need for mine ;i am dealing with a guy in the sunshine state which has been helpful and he has the items i need plus the complete PTO set up i have some of the parts here but really not sure if they will fit as i have seen so many different set ups ;in the first picture are the parts i have that i am not sure if they will work ;the 2nd picture is of the ones i have seen on most ;still it is odd why someone would take the off even the carb parts but people do strange things again thank you so much as i really appreciate it the first pictures show the upper part with the clutch which are the parts i have here ;

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1

upstate yank

i forgot to add the linkage parts he has as well which should work ;i could use my B-80 for reference as i am sure they are about the same hooking up 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

upstate yank

i am not really sure if the carb on mine is the correct one as you can see in the one picture this one has 3 screws where most have only 2 ;i d have another carb that came off a 8 horse  that might work but i won't know till this darn cold ends 'as far as the clutch assembly the one i have is like one on a charger 10 ;if it work i could save some cash i wish at times i never got away from collecting and restoring these find old things as years ago i had 6 in the garage plus most attachments but being  a long haul trucker for close to 40 years i didn't have the time to play with them ;maybe now being retired i just might restore this one ;i have so far a 

1993 413-8 with a tiller 16 horse and the deck well 2 that is one is the rear discharge the other is the side which i is on the B-80 ;

1969 charger 10 automatic

mid 70-80- B-10 and now the C-160 

there is no reason to have a few horses in the barn 'thanks again 'dean

refracman

The PTO style in the firs pic, which is the old stye, will work when adjusted correctly and is easy to install. 

As for the carb, only one off a 14 or .16 hp engine will work correctly. and it should have 3 screws to mount the air cleaner backer plate.

To determine if your carb is correct look inside from the air cleaner end there should be the number 30 stamped into the ventrua

Looks like you the parts needed to get this old beast at least fired up. 

FYI, if the electric clutch switch is still functioning it has some value.

• Like 2

JimmyJam

It doesn't look like a hydro. Most have the hydro lifts as well. Looks like a manual lift. That year WH had questionable models. They had model names, like Raider, Charger, Commando. Then they had  the "No Names" represented by HP & transmission. So "No Names" were manual, some were Automatic. The Automatics (Sundtrand transmissions had hydromatic transmissions with hydro lifts, evident with hydro cylinder & hoses on left foot rest).  It may have been modified or hood is wrong. However the C-series offered a manual lift. Good Question!

Maybe again it might be a hydro tranny with manual lift. They were the transitional years! Good Luck! Many ppl here have immense knowledge.

JimmyJam

What you posted is way different than the 1975 models you posted. This model maybe different. What does the the ID tag say? (on steering tower). May be a a completely different model than hood. 

953 nut

It has been confirmed that it is a 1973 16 Automatic! It is a Hydro. The Hydro Lift was an option.

All of this was covered several posts ago. Quit :deadhorse: