• NO
  3. 3. Have you ever broken a 10 pinion Differntial

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Have you ever broken a 4 pinion differential

• Yes
    • No

pfrederi

People are always claiming they have to have 1-1/8" axle 8 pinion transaxles.  The others are apparently felt to be too weak.  However i got to wondering how many of us have actually broken a 1" axle or a 10 pinion differential.  I would exclude pullers with souped up engines or running duals.

I have 16 or so horses and work on a few neighbors WHs.  I have never broken an axle or torn up a differential.  the only transxale failure I have come across was the axle needle bearing on my brothers C-81.  it failed chewed up the axle (didn't break) and destroyed the 1533 bearing...and it was the vaunted 8 pinion 1-1/8"

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

C-101plowerpower

i pull a plow through holy uneven ground (means a lot of sudden loss and gain of traction) and havent broken the 1" 4pinion(yet) but then again if i feel its to rough i dont plow

• Like 1

Skipper

I applaud you for setting up this poll. :thumbs:

I will excuse myself from participating, since I have had a wheel horse for such a short period of time, that it would be misleading for me to vote.

• Like 2

Racinbob

While it's agreed that the 8 pinion 1-1/8" is the strongest I'm quick to add, when appropriate for the thread, that the 4 pinion 1" is one tough unit and not to discount it. I've been on these things since before the 8 pinion 1-1/8" even made the scene. I've worked them harder than what they were intended for but I have yet to break one. :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

About the only 1 inch axle issue, a keyway chucked out and ruined the hub. This was on a B100 Automatic.

I think my teenage kids may have help that one along!

• Haha 1

wallfish

voted before reading your post. Snapped a 1 1/8 with the loader/back hoe but it was on dualies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

BOB ELLISON

I had to replace a axle on my c160 only because the PO thought he could remove the hub with a hammer.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

prondzy

Only broke a 4 pinion differential. Here are the extreme circumstances that i broke them with. Pulling a single bottom plow 12in. 1/4 mile passes for 4 hours when it broke, i havent had this happen with an 8 pinion uet. 

• Sad 2

Road-Track

I just had my 14hp automatic break the left rear axle....I didn't see that the chains on the rear wheels were frozen over and I just put the tractor in drive...

Guess I have another project for the list. I will pull the engine and put it in my 16 hp, since I took that out for a premptive  rebuild. 

Should I rebuild or look for another Eaton 1100 transmssion?

WHX??

I would pull the Eaton apart and check the rest of the internals. It's no good like it is anyway.  If they look good just look for a replacement axle. the other side of the coin if you get a whole 1100 you might have parts for future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Road-Track
On January 19, 2018 at 12:37 PM, WHX14 said:

I would pull the Eaton apart and check the rest of the internals. It's no good like it is anyway.  If they look good just look for a replacement axle. the other side of the coin if you get a whole 1100 you might have parts for future.

Thanks WH14,

I have a whole C125 transaxle on the way! I will also take the other transaxle apart and repair, for a spare. If I can find a good 108361 left axle.

Here are some pictures of the spiral break of the left axle... Is this normal?

DSCN7002.jpg.39f1e0a8d125bc580b3ceedf751b5781.jpgDSCN7000.jpg.ed411ce58661c97a13915380fa1f4532.jpg

From what I can see from the Hydro and 8 spd parts explodes the axles are the same for both. 

Is this true?

Edited by Road-Track
add pictures