kto434

WH 518-H questions

kto434

Hi guys,

There is a 518-H on CL for sale near Cincinnati.  Current owner tells me it runs and moves, but has little/no power and likely is running on one cylinder.  He is willing to sell it for $400.  It appears to be complete and includes a 42 inch SD mower deck and mule drive.  

I am interested, but am concerned about the Eaton 7 tranny set up used on this model as I have heard/read they are prone to problems.  The motor issue is not a big deal as I likely would repower it unless it is any easy fix.

I am on the fence about driving the 100 miles away to look at it and am looking for some input or maybe someone who lives closer might be interested.  I was really hoping to find a 520-H roller to repower, but lost out on the one close to home I thought I had all wrapped up.  Thanks, Bert

Jerry77

IMHO  400 for a 518 that has problems is WAY too much money....repower will cost you and the 700 needs to be changed to the 1100  ( easy swap and about 200 dollar output ).. if you could get it for 200, and make the changes it would be a heavy duty machine since you aren't alarmed by the engine......just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

608KEB

I would pass on it. Lessons learned the hard way.:mellow:

• Like 2

kto434

Thanks a million for your input.  Much appreciated!

ericj

depends on how nice the deck is and how bad you need the deck. if the sheet metal was nice enough to do a repower of the machine, I would possible go $ 300.00, but I think that would be the top end with the possibility of a bad motor.

eric j 

• Like 2

kto434

I do not need the deck, it just came with the tractor; I am gonna pass on this 518-H.  

• Excellent 1

JoeM

I picked one up a couple years back with the same issues. $150 with rough RD 42" deck. The one lung engine ran pretty good, good enough to test the transmission. I pulled the engine, (made video), and put it on E-bay. I got $150 for the complete motor to a guy in MI. I had and old 12 horse K engine, installed it is still running today. My daughter mows her grass.

$400 way to much, If deck is good $200 is a fair price. To much risk at $400.

IMG-20131229-00251.jpg.107f7978f975520458817d4de63c85a6.jpgIMG-20131231-00261.jpg.219897b3a95e8cd9ca9eee0e21bbf576.jpg

IMG-20131231-00262.jpg.fd2b655857942363d085b6b1594d5126.jpg

• Like 1

kto434

Hi Joe--thanks.  I was thinking I would do the same thing--repower the 518-H with a single cylinder motor (mostly as part of summer project with the boys in the local Webelos unit)--until I found out word-of-mouth is the Eaton 700 tranny may also cause problems.  I had a great lead on a 520-H roller about 30 miles away, but it fell through (sold for more than I was willing to pay even as a roller).  Now, even for a "good" price I am gonna pass on the 518-H.  I will keep looking and should be able to find a better model WH needing some TLC and maybe either is not running or needing a repower to use as a "project tractor" with the kids.  Take care!

• Thanks 1

WildHorses

You should be able to find a 520 roller for less than $400 with frequency in Indiana or Ohio. I have a 520 and a 518 and I like them both.  My 518 was dealer converted to the Eaton 1100 as Wheel Horse issued a recall (I think or maybe it was only a service bulletin?) on the Eaton 700's and paid dealers to swap them out. If you see a 518 with an oil filter above the rear axle like a 520 then it has been upgraded. A 518 is a slightly simpler machine than a 520 and for overall longevity if it has the Eaton 1100, it's probably a "better" tractor. The 18 and 20hp Onans were basically the same engine save for a few minor carburetor differences. The 518 has a manual lift and the 520 has a hydraulic lift. I think that would be the one thing that would steer me to one tractor over the other and maybe the 60" deck on a 520 if I was going to mow a lot. I also would say maybe spend some time and save a little extra and try to find one (either size) that's running with new tires. The tires on a 520 alone will set you back about $200 and most that I see in roller condition need them badly. I see a lot of rollers for $3-400 but I see a lot of decent looking running tractors for $7-800, if you add $200 for tires and $100 for engine parts (which would be low end and lucky) you've already bought a good running tractor. I think there's a 520 in the classifieds right now in Greensburg, IN (that's about an hour west of Cincinnati) the guy is asking $895obo. That would be a better buy than a $400 roller unless it was in mighty fine shape. 

• Like 1

kto434

Thanks for all the ideas/input.  Appreciate the help sorting through options, etc.