WHX??

4411 to PAR LED Headlight Swap Out.

Handy Don

480 watts at 12v is, indeed, 40 amps and well above the alternator's output, though it could draw from the battery until it was exhausted!

I'm not sure I trust the original wattage figures.  A big LED bar would be more like 48 watts, from what I've seen.

My LED headlights are 13w each and the rear light bar is 18w, so 44watts.  If 480 is really 48 then you have 108 watts @ 12 v -- and bingo, 8.7 amps

WHX??

As advertised  Handy...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXSX7K8/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_tab_ap_asin_title

Only used two of the little guys. 

I don't think you guys are applying the led equivalent. .... I quit beating Mr. Ohm  over the head with @Ed Kennell 's slide rule long ago. 

Denny had a 15amp mini fuse in the circuit and it refused to blow. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Haha 1

WHX??

BTW Denny took me a bit to get into your head on how you hot wired this girl but I fingered it out and I like it. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I know I could have just called you and asked WTF but that would have been no fun. :)

For those of you who don't know  @dclarke did this tractor from almost a frame up resto. A very good excuse NOT to add it to my herd. 

You'd be proud of me ...professional crimped and soldered connections used . The more I dig into this tractor the more I see your love. 

More on that when they finger out what the difference from pic 3 & 4! 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
On 2/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, WHX24 said:

20210220_132327[1].jpg

20210207_105041.jpg

20210220_133209[1].jpg

20210220_122355.jpg

I did custom LEDs,Sirens,Radios.cameras etc. from police and ambulance to custom theme work on civilian stuff for years all these nice lookin' DC installs really get the current goin! Can't wait to see what I can do to my own!

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 3

Wheel Horse 3D
On 2/20/2021 at 9:56 PM, WHX24 said:

You eagle eyes might notice something odd about pics 3 and 4 my last post ... double dog ya to see what's going on. 

1.Arent those switch indicators stayin on all the time?

2.  tsk tsk wire nuts in a mobile install?

3. im gonna blame the "neutral" wire on silly folks at LED places who used to work with AC.:ychain:

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D

Damien Walker

I've just fitted 12W PAR36s to my 518H rebuild and they are brilliant. (Literally!). 2x 12W is 2A (obviously) which is 3x less than the originals. My C175 still uses the originals and they cause the bezels to smoke after a short while!...... Lights on the 518H remain cool and appear much brighter. It's a very recommendable modification. My pair cost me £21.20 (ie approx $30) from a famous online auction site....which is about 30% more than the incandescent originals (unless you buy them from Toro...I dread to think what they would charge!)

• Like 1

Handy Don
Just now, Damien Walker said:

which is 3x less than the originals

3x less, so they are generating 2x the original amperage for you? Or did mean one third of the originals? :)

Damien Walker
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

3x less, so they are generating 2x the original amperage for you? Or did mean one third of the originals? :)

I probably should have said '3x lower' (or 3x fewer Amps) but '3x less than' seemed ok at the time.

How about this then?:

At 2A for both lamps, consumption is less than the originals by a factor of three!

Probably caused by the carelessness associated with speech, relative to the formal written word!

(P.S. lamps don't usually generate current!) 

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Damien Walker said:

I probably should have said '3x lower' (or 3x fewer Amps) but '3x less than' seemed ok at the time.

How about this then?:

At 2A for both lamps, consumption is less than the originals by a factor of three!

Probably caused by the carelessness associated with speech, relative to the formal written word!

(P.S. lamps don't usually generate current!) 

Just tweaking you as so often it is one of our UK members reminding one of us Yanks about our use of English!

Something cannot be less by a factor of more than 1 or 100%.  It can be ⅓ of the original, or 30% of the original.

Or the original can use 3x as much as, or be 2x more than, or 300% of, the new lamps.

WHX??
On 3/12/2021 at 6:44 PM, Wheel Horse 3D said:

1.Arent those switch indicators stayin on all the time?

2.  tsk tsk wire nuts in a mobile install?

3. im gonna blame the "neutral" wire on silly folks at LED places who used to work with AC.:ychain:

Bingo 3D ... I reversed the wiring but Denny had a switched wire going up to power the whole thing from the dash. I have a fetish for idiot lights and stainless  so sue me! 

The nuts were temp just to see if I had the nuts to make the whole thing work. 

Excellent upgrade Damien  and sounds to me like you got a good deal. Me thinks Don is a bit over thinkin. ..run em! 

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Damien Walker

Firstly an apology to all the Wheelhorse enthusiasts out there for apparently triggering this outburst of intercontinental pedantry..with little relevance to the thread title....but do listen up, the following lecture from an Englishman might come in handy!

2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Just tweaking you as so often it is one of our UK members reminding one of us Yanks about our use of English!

Something cannot be less by a factor of more than 1 or 100%.  It can be ⅓ of the original, or 30% of the original.

Or the original can use 3x as much as, or be 2x more than, or 300% of, the new lamps.

Have to say that I am quite amused by your suggestion that something can be 'less by a factor of 1' (or by a factor of 100% for that matter!)

The error in using 'less' is actually associated with plurality and whether you can enumerate the something..you don't use 'less' with plurals or things that you can enumerate....and you don't use 'fewer' when there is no plural. E.g. 'less time' and 'fewer amps'. Similarly 'less current and 'fewer minutes' are acceptable, but less 'Minutes' and fewer 'Current' would not be.  It's a conceptual thing...

It's all about subject and object of the sentence too.... I would therefore argue that my original statement is not really wrong, if you consider that I am actually referring to the lamps current consumption, though I didn't include the word:  'which is 3x less consumption than the originals'. Perfect!

All very interesting when you consider that the irritating 'Less than 10 items' till in our supermarkets was probably imported from America!

Talking of pedantry, 1/3 is usually 33.33(recurring)% in England. :)

I apologise for the lack of compassion shown by my fellow countrymen in previous correspondence.

Anyway, 12W PAR36 lamps are very good, however you wish to describe their performance!