Firebug

D160 repower?

Firebug

So I was out plowing with my 74 d—60 the other morning, nothing major, just some light powdery stuff so I wasn’t working it to hard. About a half hour in the single Koehler exploded. Scared the hell out of me since it sent parts flying. I’m figuring it’s going to be a lot more to find a donor block, crank, machining, etc then to just repower it. Im just looking to see what other people have repowered their d series with and how much engineering goes into it. I was sort of leaning toward a newer Honda or commercial Briggs or something along those lines. Any input is helpful. Thanks guys. 

As a side note, I do have a d 200 that is in retting restored and I plan on plowing and mowing with that when it’s done, So if the 160 is a lost cause then it is what it is, but my wife likes the belly mower on and isn’t afraid to use it. And the rest of the tractor is solid in good running order. 

F205BCBF-D9B4-4AB3-8C99-168B0E4BBE61.jpeg

• Sad 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I don't think J B Weld would work on that hole. I know there are some threads on the 22 hp Predator motor from HF. @Aldon is using one on his GT14 I think. Good luck.

Sarge

The biggest trick on a D is that hydro coupling between the engine and the pump. Since it's off the flywheel side of the engine it puts a lot of limits on what can be used. I'd start hunting for a K482 or K532 twin engine from a D180/D200 with a pressurized oiling system - which is the downfall to the K341 single engine. Honestly, those bigger twin opposed iron series engines were about the best ones Kohler ever built - just ask any machine shop that works on Kohlers.  The other main issue is the overall length of the crank - if you alter that length with a different engine it will screw up the whole PTO system off the other end of the crank and then you'd have to alter a lot of the tractor to make it work. They have been a few swaps done - everything from Predators to other brands.

• Like 2

Skipper

Just feel like pointing out the easy solution. Why not just find another K341 :-)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

:text-yeahthat:

Sarge is right abut the cast iron twins being good engines...but it is getting hard to find parts for them

• Like 1

Firebug

I thought about another 341 for it but was thinking about something a bit more modern since my wife uses it a few times a week. A good 341 will probably be the easiest way to go with out having to engineer and fabricate a bunch of stuff

pacer

I have to agree that a replacement K341 would be the easiest, most practical, sensible, etc, etc, solution. And, hey, you certainly cant knock that beefy 16hp 341, while I too like the big Ktwins that big one lunger is no slouch.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Something else to consider, there are a lot of after market parts to rebuild a 341, not so many for the twins...and a twin rebuild needs two pistons, two rods, two sets of rings....

If she is working with a 48" deck then 16 hp is enough.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Shynon
3 hours ago, Firebug said:

I thought about another 341 for it but was thinking about something a bit more modern

I would find another k 341 and rebuild it, as it will last longer than anything modern. 

• Like 1

Firebug

Another thought I had, my parts tractor had an Onan twin from a later year 160, maybe a 77. While it runs it still needs some help. Doesn’t have the right carb, someone welded on harley exhaust pipes, etc etc. I know the Oman’s were less desirable and more expensive to rebuild but it runs. Or would a replacement 341 still be a better option

Shynon
2 minutes ago, Firebug said:

341 still be a better

:text-yeahthat:

JackC

"I know the Oman’s were less desirable and more expensive to rebuild but it runs."

If it runs, I would go with it. Better to use it than to have it sitting around taking up space.

Make sure the starter is in good shape because they are a bear to replace once the engine is on the tractor.

I really like the ONAN's on my D-160s.  With the correct and clean carb, they are nice quiet smooth running engines compared to the single cylinder engines.

They also have plenty of power for plowing and mowing.

Probably has more torque than the single cylinder Kohler 16.

The electric PTO that goes on them is also nice.

Firebug

Thanks for all the input. I’ll have to dig in to the Onan a bit and start looking for parts. If it lasts a season or 2 then that gets me closer to having my d 200 done then I can figure out a long term solution for the 160

Desko

The onan if taken care of will last you a good long while! You will need the mounting plates for it though. If you needs parts or gaskets don't get the ebay junk contact boomers_influence he's a member here that deals in onan parts new or used he'll get you what you need. 

Firebug

Great thank you!!

kick

Firebug

i have a 1974 d160 with a 16hp kohler single that I'm willing to part with.   I'll send you my contact info  in a pm.  

mrc

any idea what caused such damage?  

Desko

Many factors. Could have been a stressed rod, lack of lube, a tab bit to high of RPM, too much side load, may have just up and broke the thing is no one will ever know what truly caused it. 

dells68

You know, I was thinking and the whole tractor is probably junk now.  I'll just come up and get it so you don't have to worry with it.  See, I get another project and you don't have to worry about trying to fix it! :ROTF:  Just sayin'! 

Firebug

As tempting as your offer sounds I’m going to have to decline at this time. Lol. 

• Sad 1