classicdmax

Winter traction

classicdmax

Looking for some feedback on what you guys are using and why? I have a 73 16h hydro running Carlisle try power, chains and #50 weights either side, but struggle with steering up front with my turf savers. Have been looking for matching weights up front, and was also considering chains. Are chains an effective way to improve steering? Any other suggestions out there?

thanks!

j-

pfrederi

Front weights and #40 chain around the tire works for me

• Like 2

rjg854

I was wondering how tri ribs do in the snow and on ice.  I happen to use the #40 roller chains on my front tires. I could also use some extra weight on the front of my 68 Commando 8 while trying to push through drifts.

SylvanLakeWH

Experiment this year...Usually use chains and barbell weights on back with my plow blade.

This year - Nothing. So far so good. Two 6" - 8" snows and a bunch of 1" - 3" and its been pretty darn good...

I do 3 driveways - all 150' and relatively flat...one concrete and 2 asphalt...

Standard turf tires.

Pro: I like the lack of hassle putting chains and weights on / off and no scratch marks on the driveways. 

Con: Some slipping on corners. Occasional slipping under full load of snow...

No - I'm not crazy. Just seeing this year if it is worth the hassle and the damage to the drives from chains.

So far so good...

:twocents-02cents:

IMG_1603.jpg

• Like 1

oldlineman

# 40 chain on front tires workes great and it is cheep too.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

My 416 -8 has 70lb cast iron weights per wheel and chains. My C-175 has 55 lb plastic weights per wheel and chains.

One year I tried no chains, soon as the tread packed with snow i couldnt move.

Glenn

• Like 1

midpack

Ditto the #40 chain wrapped around the front tires. when i want a little more steering I just "up toggle" the snow thrower a tiny bit and WALLA!

I really love that 417-8  electric lift...  ;)

• Like 1

Chris G

My main plow tractor this year is a 1960 suburban 400. I got weights on all 4 and if the snow gets real deepand wet, I got roller chain for the front tires and chains for the back. And for the 2 times this year I had to use the chains. They worked fantastic. Had no issue steering and no issue with traction.

rjg854

Does anyone have experience using tri-ribs on their plow tractor?  How are they in snow and on ice? 

GlenPettit

I have tri-ribs on my snow-plowing tractor.

On snow, they are excellent,  on ice, not very good.    

There is 25# of Rim Guard in each tire plus a 25# lead bar hanging on the front (painted red in photo below); for a total of 75# of extra weight on the front, but with the blade down on ice, I do not have complete control, going straight is fine but with turns on the ice, I do slide sideways.    I try to avoid ice and only have to suffer through it maybe twice each Winter (my 5th year with tri-ribs).   On Snow, I really like the tri-ribs, and even with snow on the ice I've the tri-ribs do fine, but it's on the "pure glass ice" they are not good, that's where a chain is best.  I have an asphalt drive, and don't want the marring from chains, that's also why I have the hard rubber scrapper on the blade.  

Do have 'Rubber Chains' on the rears of my snow-blowing tractor, over turf tires, and with bare tri-ribs on the front = same steering problem on ice.

Glen

IMG_0213 1_zpshppnicok copy.jpg

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

ericj

my loader tractor has tri-ribs on the front. I used it the other day to move some tractors around, I'll just say the verdict is still out. the ground was frozen and had about an 1" of snow on it. Even with a tractor hang from the bucket, the front tires still seemed to slid some. thought to myself it might have done better with regular turf tires on it. I was disappointed becuase I really like the tri-ribs and have always wanted a set or 2. will post if I get more use of it this winter in unsavory conditions 

eric j

• Like 1

jeff lary

I came here today with the same question really.

I have turf tires on my WH and last weekend I tried the roller chain around the front tire trick. I used a worn out chain from the snow blower drive on the tractor. Last year I replaced the sprockets and the chain and I saved the chain for this purpose. The chain had broken so about 5 inches of it had been removed from it's normal length.

I took off a front wheel and put it on my bench and let the air out. I took the longest portion of the chain and connected it back to itself to form a loop. Then I put the chain on the tire ( I thought it was a snug fit) and re-inflated it back up to 14# of pressure. I tried it out and within 30' the chain fell off so that didn't work. I am guessing that even though the chain was a snug fit on a slack tire it still was not on tight enough? Maybe I did not - over inflate- the tire enough by just adding back the normal 14#

Next I closed up / narrowed up an old worn out rear tire chain, I had and made it a custom fit for the same front tire. The fit was super but when I tried it out on the inside portion of the tire the chain rubbed very hard on the tie rod. It rubbed hard enough that it made the steering wheel shake badly as the wheel went around thumping on the tie rod. I took the chain back off immediately.

So my questions are;

What am I doing wrong on the roller chain plan? I can go buy some no.40 chain but what length do I need? The tractor is a 1995 3-12-8. I can cut it myself or I can have it cut probably at the store but I don't want to cut it too short and ruin it. Do any of you have this down well enough that you can tell me how long to buy it? Or should I measure around the tire then buy a chain a little shorter than that? If this idea is on the right path,... how much shorter? Like if the tire circumference is 28" do I make the chain 27" what are your opinions. Thanks. Jeff

• Like 1

pfrederi

You don't "cut" roller chain you use a tool that pushes out the pins. Called a chain breaker make sure you get one that will handle #40 chain.  Also need to buy a couple of half links so you can fine tune the lengths.  This is the 3rd season these have used never had a problem of them coming off.  

Should be a tight fit on a deflated tire

IMG_0064.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5

GlenPettit

Found this photo from Lucas Weber in "Wheel Horse Junkies, 01/07, Clintonville, WI), of his unique setup

for steering control & blade angling while plowing

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 9.14.01 AM.png

• Like 2

midpack
2 hours ago, jeff lary said:

I can go buy some no.40 chain but what length do I need?

IIRC, I'm at 99 pins with the 8" rim/tire on the fronts. maybe smaller (98 pins) on at least 1 wheel. I have 2 tractors with them. I needed to get it tight enough so I had to "lever" them on even with the tire pressure low.

they actually indent the tire a little, but the weight of the machine makes them bite into the frozen tundra...  ;)

classicdmax

I like the roller chain idea, too bad I just threw away a length of #40 from my sons sled. I just purchased a set of these. Figured they’d give more bite and not a bad try for sub $60

xtrac_h.jpg

Edited by classicdmax
  • Like 1

C-85

I put Carlise snow-hog tires on mine, and they really helped over the turf tires.

But this is before I learned about the roller chain idea and had I know about that before, I think I would have tried that, that seems like it would be the best to make it steer!

C-85

IMG_0417.JPG.951df092a66354123432306a77a936c1.JPGIMG_0402.JPG.bb867ed27bff2497c37725fdfd2ce154.JPG5a5513fdf2939_Wheelweights.jpg.7dd9b3a4d1e365619d173eb577d94e4d.jpg

• Like 3

classicdmax

^ agreed, pulled the trigger too quick on said tires. I do like that idea of roller chain 

jeff lary

I miss spoke about ' cutting the chain" I have replaced many motorcycle chains in the past .I don't use any special tools just a grinder and a punch and of course repair links. I guess the length I had to work with was just a fraction too long. I had no repair links for this chain so I put it back together with a small bolt. I will stop by tractor supply and see what they have sometime. Thank you for the replies I mainly believed mine was too long so I wanted to know how long some of you made yours.

As for the guys that bought the different style tires you have what I would need to try my next much easier idea I think. I would take your tires and have them studded. It will last a life time  and bite ice like the dickens. My turf tires don't look like the tread is deep enough to stud. But maybe the ones you have cannot be studded. 

• Like 1

littleredrider

I have tri ribs on my 520 that I plow with. Even with the blade up, turning in the road with some snow, it does not turn. I have to slip the clutch or crawl in low gear to get it to turn. Tires are loaded, not sure of the weight, but doesn’t seem to help

any. I think the chain will do the trick, just need to get some, find the time, and somewhere out of the weather to install em. No chains on the back, just plastic weights and firestone 23s....

• Like 1

rjg854

Thanks guys for relating your experiences with tri ribs. I kinda thought that chains wrapped around the front tires was probably the best idea. I saw a huge difference in steering using roller chains. I was wondering about tri ribs because of the cool factor   :text-lol:

• Like 1

littleredrider

Other than that I like the tri ribs. Everywhere else it steers no problem. Not a huge deal, driveway isn't very big, 4-5 passes and pretty much done. I look for more to do when driveway is done, it barely gets warmed up and want more seat time lol....

• Like 1

jeff lary

I was in the shop today I decided to give the roller chain another go. This time I started by removing 1 link then I put the chain back together. I took the valve core right out of the tire this time and got all the air out I could.  Then centered the chain on the tire and re-inflated it. It is much tighter now, maybe it will stay this time.

classicdmax

Well, for $59.70 for the pair I figured it would be worth the try. At the very least they look pretty cool, I’m sure their function in the snow will top the turf savers 

34FD4FB9-36A1-491E-85EA-DD8652DCB3F0.jpeg

434A3B41-AE99-4F88-8462-96F577608040.jpeg

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup: Great price...

let us know how they do. 

• Like 1