Mike_W

Recently Acquired 1976 C-160 Hydro

Mike_W

Been looking for a C-160 Auto with Hydro lift for some time and an acceptable one finally showed itself on CL. Good runner. Needs a replacement seat and a choke lever. Also a battery mount. Anyone point me to how these batteries are held in place? A bigger (younger) brother to my 876

5a517573a3bac_20180101_174349(1).jpg.44e2fb1c29ee4a31a3a72a65df62c52c.jpg

I had a post on my 876 but I see the images are gone from the post, here is a picture, Love this tractor.

12998443_10206445281836440_7196832417321750851_o.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

KC9KAS

@Mike_W The battery in the C-160 is held in place just like the battery on your 876.

Nice looking machines!

Mike_W

Thank You sir. I don't see the hardware for it the hold-down strap, but I'll dig into it further when it warms up this weekend.

Edited by Mike_W

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:               Nice find.    Looks like you are missing the battery box.

• Like 2

Mike_W

That would explain it. I'm sure I can fab one up once it warms up. The plow, tire chains, and 2 mower decks came with it (one very nice deck and one in sad shape). The plow is missing the blade rotating hardware, but I have a working blade already.

2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:               Nice find.    Looks like you are missing the battery box.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Nice looking C160 Mike.

I have a '74 8 spd headed my way soon. (weather delay)

Please let me know what you end up doing for the seat.

Mine will need a cover and padding and I want to keep the original frame in place.

• Like 2

squonk

My 76 160 uses 2 "J" bolts and a wire clamp across the top of the battery. Doesn't have the side strap. 

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack

Mike--That C160 looks like a great find!  I love that little 876 as well--it is nearly identical to the tractor I grew up using.  You will have a knock out punch with both of those machines in your stable!:dance:

• Like 2

Mike_W
1 hour ago, squonk said:

My 76 160 uses 2 "J" bolts and a wire clamp across the top of the battery. Doesn't have the side strap. 

Thank you, that makes perfect sense now that I look at it.

2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice looking C160 Mike.

I have a '74 8 spd headed my way soon. (weather delay)

Please let me know what you end up doing for the seat.

Mine will need a cover and padding and I want to keep the original frame in place.

I think I may go with a mid back Michigan Universal until I an find a decent original.  https://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Seat-Universal-Mower-Midback/dp/B0000AXF76/ref=pd_sbs_86_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0000AXF76&pd_rd_r=TNMRBMETR2M077W67EM5&pd_rd_w=t1muc&pd_rd_wg=pnx4W&psc=1&refRID=TNMRBMETR2M077W67EM5

squonk

My best pic is in Photobucket pugatory but this seat is the best I ever tried.

5a52372fb7987_charlie2c160005.JPG.f604b9b20ff6729b9399b68117622ff2.JPG

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Share the link? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PMeadows
      By PMeadows
      Thinking about selling my 1974 C-160 and hoping to get a feel for interest. It has working hydraulics, front plow, single row rear plow, 42" belly mower deck, 55lb wheel weights. Runs fantastic, no smoke. Lights work, amp meter works, has plug in cigarette lighter (doesn't work). Left rear wheel cylinder has slow leak.

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      I noticed that the 876 was leaking trans fluid on the garage floor after i parked it.
      Went out the next day and cleaned up the spot and put a can under the hydro.
      Checked the next two days and nothing in the can.  So that told me it only leaks when its running
      Fired it up this afternoon and let it run and cycled the lift a few times
      Shut it off and checked all the hoses, filter and anything else I could see from the top
      Crawled underneath and found fluid dripping from the area circled in the photo
      If I replace the two parts noted on the photo is there a good chance that would fix the problem or are there bigger issues???

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      I had wired the tractor according to the wiring diagram (I thought) and have been waiting on some parts to finish.
      Everything was ready to go except the ground wire connected to the battery.
      As I was looking at my handy work I thought that the ground wire would look better if I moved it to the other side of the fuel line.
      In the process of moving the wire it touched the negative post on the battery......ZAP SPARKS!!!

Got out the diagram (see photo) and retraced the wires from the regulator (see next photo) to the switches in the dash (see last photo)
      Everything looked like it is where it is supposed to be.
      The only thing that I am not 100% sure of is the wire that comes out the bottom of the regulator and to which terminal on the starter/generator (hard to see in the picture, it's on the right terminal)
      I thought I had it on the correct terminal. That wire does not appear on the wiring diagram.
      Could that be the problem? or is there something I missed??
      Will appreciate any and all help
      Bob

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      One of the prior owners had added head and tail light to the tractor (876's did not have lights)
      I am getting down the the "short strokes" with the rebuild and trying to figure out the best place to add the circuit.
      My thoughts so far are to tap into the cigar lighter and run the wire over to the wafer switch (the PO did an outstanding job installing the switch to the dash panel)
      As most of the tractors that HAVE lights use a fuse in the circuit and I have been thinking of putting the fuse between the cigar lighter and the wafer switch.
      YES/NO??? Other ideas? 
      When I disassembled the tractor I know that there was no fuse and I am not real sure about wires
       (I wasn't paying that much attention to the wires as I had the diagram and didn't realize then that the 876 didn't have lights)
    • RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      I found this "field modification" (origin unknown). The dark square that has been wired to the rod is lead that weighs about a pound and a half.
      the 876 doesen't have the friction parts of the later models so I am wondering if this was/is an attempt to dampen the movement of the forward/reverse lever?!?
      Any ideas??

Bob