Dynodon

Snow blower sprocket alignment

Dynodon

So here in West Michigan it hasn't stopped snowing since Christmas! Needless to say my blower has been getting a work out . I have a 266h with a single stage blower. I've been throwing the chain off under heavy load, after inspection I see that the front sprocket is worn pretty bad but was hoping to get by until spring to tackle the replacement. One side is worn more than the other leading me to think I have an alignment issue. Is there an easy way to check the alignment of the 3 sprockets? I thought if I removed the chain and layed a straight edge across I might see the problem.... Could the spacer be worn or possibly be the wrong one? I bought the blower used have idea if it's ever been apart before.... Anyone have an assembly diagram?

Dynodon

No one has any advice. Is there any lateral adjustment of the ear sprocket ? Or the idler/ tension adjustment other than the washer?could it have developed enough play in the bearings that it walks the chain off?

Digger 66

Welcome to Red Square 

We just LOVE pictures , plus it may help to get to the bottom of your issue .

Edited by Digger 66

gwest_ca

A guess on the year and model

Garry

squonk

I would think the bearings are sloppy enough to cause the alignment issue.

wallfish

A worn sprocket will throw the chain if it's loose or stretched enough. Especially under heavy load.

Did you check the sprocket alignment with a straight edge like you wrote previously?

gwest_ca

#40 chain has a 1/2" pitch - distance from roller and pin to roller and pin.

When that distance increases from wear the chain will ride higher on the sprocket teeth until the increased pitch finds the matching tooth spacing on the sprockets.

When under extreme load that could take the chain to the tips of the sprocket teeth and come off.

Where the chain goes around the auger sprocket see if you can pull the chain away from the sprocket by pulling outward on one link. It should not come out enough to see. If it does it's time to replace the chain.

Garry

• Thanks 2

WHX??

Yes would be nice to know the model Dyno but more than likely the idler sprockets, change them out along with a new lenght of # 40 chain. Both readily avaiiable at TSC if you  have one nearby. Here is the idler sprocker you  might need 17 tooth 1/2 inch bore but double check. replace BOTH and the chain.

BTW :WRS:

20180102_173353-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Dynodon

Thank God the snow has stopped, I haven't torn into the blower again since my original post. I had to call in a favor to get the drive plowed but what the heck. I will post some pics with the model # soon in the mean time I will grab a new idler as well as a chain fron TSC it's right on my way home:) thanks guys.

• Like 1

WHX??

Your welcome :)

When you change out the idlers watch what comes off on the inside. There will be always be a spacer but some times a washer and a spacer put back like it came apart unless you suspect a PO messed it up.

Dynodon

So I bought a new chain and idler this week layed on the floor today and installed them. Fired it back up and it threw the chain in less than a few seconds..... So I looked deeper. I couldn't get the alignment perfect added a washer but it wasn't better. Then I checked one of the bearings it looked fine greased it all up good put it back together hats when I noticed that the auger has lots of lateral play side to side..... I can move it over about the width of the chain. Is that correct? I noticed it has a sweet spot where everything spins perfectly and I'd whisper quiet, is there nothing that holds it there? I took some pictures.

image.jpeg

Edited by Dynodon

Dynodon

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Dynodon

Dynodon

See how far I moved it over?

gwest_ca

Garry

wallfish

That could do it. Shouldn't have that much movement.

Check out the IPL file Gary posted, it shows 2 washers (#15) on each side of the bearings (#16). Was that sweet spot right in the middle?

Sarge

When that trailer hub went through the auger it may have bent the sides of the blower housing - I'd start taking some measurements and see if it's bent somewhere. That shaft should have almost zero side play - it would certainly cause some serious issues with a chain drive if it can move that much.

Sarge

Dynodon

It's alive! When I got home tonight I pulled it back apart and sure enough both washers from either end were missing. Whoever put bearings in it last didn't put them back in. I've owned it for 3 years and have blown snow 3 seasons with out any issues but this year has been a different story. So it's got a new chain and idler sprocket fresh grease and think we are good to go. The large sprocket has taken a beating but it's good until spring when I can pull the auger back out and have a new one welded on. You guys are the best, thanks for all the pointers,part #'s and assembly drawings. With out you I'd be dropping $35 a shot to get the drive pushed out!:)

One thing, the drawing showed 2 washers on each end. I bought the only ones TSC had and only one per side would fit. Not knowing what the thickness of the originals were I guess that's the best I could do.....

• Like 1

WHX??

Awsome Dyno glad to hear you got it sorted out! :handgestures-thumbupright: Just goes to show the right IPL can be worth it. Yes that auger sprocket is always the an issue as it was not meant to be replaced but with lots of lube and TLC may get another couple of seasons out of it. If the teeth are hooked real bad it will eat chains and chains will eat idlers and the drive sprocket so watch it! Thanks for letting us know how things went. We all too often try to help a guy solve a problem but don't hear back if our advice helped him or not  so we don't know if we are on crack or really helping a guy!