T-Mo

Towing a Car Without Anyone Guiding It

squonk

My brother in law tried something similar once. He had a Chevette to scrap and tied it tight to the rear bumper of his truck. Just down the road is a sharp bend and a trailer on the property there. He goes around that bend and the "Vette" came unhooked. It went up into the yard and right through a load of laundry hanging on the line! :)

• Haha 5

T-Mo
20 minutes ago, squonk said:

My brother in law tried something similar once. He had a Chevette to scrap and tied it tight to the rear bumper of his truck. Just down the road is a sharp bend and a trailer on the property there. He goes around that bend and the "Vette" came unhooked. It went up into the yard and right through a load of laundry hanging on the line! :)

At least your bil had enough common sense to used a smaller strap/chain.  The guy in the video had a pretty long one and, thankfully, it pulled the tailgate off before any damage to the residential area could occur.  Sometimes, it's hard to fathom what goes on in some people's head to get ideas like this.

• Like 1

dcrage

And I thought it was bad last week when I saw someone towing a car down the shoulder of I-55 south of St Louis with a driver in the towed car. Your video is a lot worse. Using the tailgate for tow hitch would be the first hint of not knowing what would happen. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

One born every minute...

:huh:

• Like 1

Jerry77
6 minutes ago, dcrage said:

towing a car down the shoulder of I-55 south of St Louis with a driver in the towed car

Common practice back in the day - stayed on the traveled portion tho---  ( before interstate hwys ).. the towed car did the braking for both....:)

• Like 2

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

One born every minute...

:huh:

Some say I was the one for my minute......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

squonk

Another good one. Same BIL bought a Mazda from my neighbor. It had a seized motor. He gets me to tow it to his house in the country.  He's steering the Mazda. We get just out of town doing about 30. He puts it in gear and pops the clutch without warning me. Just about rips the rear of my truck off!

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

pfrederi

You just can't fix stupid!!

• Haha 3

953 nut

He should have used one of them tow dollies!            You mean to tell me the car should be strapped down to it!      :ychain:

Image result for car towing mishaps

That rule applies to boats too!

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

squonk

Believe it or not , he did the tow dolly thing to!

• Haha 3

Achto
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Believe it or not , he did the tow dolly thing to!

If nothing else he sure sounds like good entertainment. :D

5 hours ago, dcrage said:

And I thought it was bad last week when I saw someone towing a car down the shoulder of I-55 south of St Louis with a driver in the towed car.

5 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

Common practice back in the day - stayed on the traveled portion tho---  ( before interstate hwys ).. the towed car did the braking for both....:)

This is still common as well as legal here, as long as you have 20ft between the two vehicles.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Nah, we don't need a trailer. We'll just car top this tub.  Here, hold my beer while I load it .

• Haha 5

Ed Kennell

I've seen my Dad tow many cars and trucks with a chain threaded through two pieces of 6' pipe forming a Vee shaped tow bar.   The towed vehicle followed  perfectly with normal slow turning.

• Like 4

ericj

My dad tow my 67 Plymouth Fury III, with me steering and breaking with a tow chain trough a pipe, don't remember how long the chain was,,,,, except it was SHORT. The breaking  was real tricky, the car had power brakes, but becuase we couldn't run the motor ( it was being towed becuase of a bad auto trans, blown seal and wouldn't hold fluid ) they didn't work. First couple of times I tried to break I almost put dad through the windshield of the truck. I was so close with the chain that I thought I would hit the back of dad's truck. I couldn't tell how hard I was on the brakes till the wheels started to lock up. by the time we got the 5 or 6 miles of country back road I had gotten better at judging how hard to push on the breaks. fun times. this happened almost 40 years ago but I still remember it 

eric j   

• Like 1