oldredrider

Suburban differences

oldredrider

I've been into Wheel Horses for over 15 years, but lately, dealing with a fair amount of round hoods. Owned quite a few of them but just to fix and flip.

Question: Other than the obvious Kohler K91 and Tecumseh H55, what other differences are there between the 400 and 550 Surburbans?

WHX??

If I am  correct the 550 had the first generation two piece transmission and electric start hence the Techy. Kohler didn't have an electric start model that would have fit in the nutroaster configuration. I might be thinking of the 551 on the tranny.

10 minutes ago, oldredrider said:

but lately, dealing with a fair amount of round hoods. 

Lucky you:)

prondzy
37 minutes ago, WHX14 said:

If I am  correct the 550 had the first generation two piece transmission and electric start hence the Techy. Kohler didn't have an electric start model that would have fit in the nutroaster configuration. I might be thinking of the 551 on the tranny.

Lucky you:)

Jim the 551 was the first 2 peice trans on a nut roaster, the 701 was the first front mount engine with a 2 piece trans. The only difference between a 400 and 550 was the engine.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Chris G

I believe the only difference between the 400 and 550 is the engine. Then in 61 is when things like the foot pedals and hood changed. Also the 551 came with the 2 piece Trans and the battery box made in to the hood stand,  just in front of motor. 

• Excellent 1

CasualObserver

Many of the 400s were made before the 550s... (400 production started in the fall of 1959, and the 550s weren't until December) No actual documentation supports any differences aside from the engine, and that on the 400 foot rests and toolbox/fenders were an add-on option.  But observations of the past have shown that the early model 400s did not have a hole for an ignition switch in the hood, and did not have a reinforcing rib in the belt guard.  After the 550s were in production though, they had those items, and the 400 received a knockout plug in the ignition hole.  Some examples are listed below.

early 400 belt guard

400 belt guard 1.jpg

common 400/550 belt guard (the cross line is a 1961 guard for those who wonder)

400 belt guard 3.jpg

early 400 hood (no plug)

400 hood 1.jpg400 hood 2.jpg

400 hood (with plug)

suburban400dash.jpg

550 hood with ignition switch (ignore 2nd hole, it's incorrect)

550 hood 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3