mikeeyre74

1994 520H dashboard let the smoke out?

mikeeyre74

Good morning!

I just have a quick question about a 520H that actually starts and runs… Which I know is a weird question to post here because most of them begin with “my 520H just stalled and now it won’t run“ 😛😛

I was snowblowing last night and the machine worked like a champ with the just over 1 foot deep drop that we got.  As soon as I got on it and started it up, the engine temperature warning light in the dashboard was on. Since the machine was stone cold, I knew that was an anomaly that I would have to check in on at a later date… So for the time being, I just ignored it.  A little while later, that light went off, and then the whole dashboard lit right up, with every single LED glowing brightly. After a little while, those all went off, and just the seat switch LED light was glowing… And I don’t even have a seat switch installed on this thing.  To round out this story, I then smelled an electrical burning odor, and saw a brief flash inside the dashboard in the lower right-hand corner, down around where the engine temperature light or seat switch warning lamp would have been… Then the dashboard went black. 

The machine never faltered, and couldn’t care less. It still starts and runs just fine. My question is, is this something that is indicative of a “classic issue“ and I have to “go check XY&Z and replace this, that and the other thing“?  All these lights, gadgets, and gizmos are fine and fun… But I don’t have any of them on my C120. If push comes to shove, is it possible to just de- clutter  this thing of all of these silly wires and use it like a proper tractor that doesn’t require such pampering? 

Because I know somebody is going to ask, this has no nine pin connector anymore as the previous owner rewired everything… Apparently, poorly. 

• Like 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Sounds like you have an issue with that wiring. If it has continuity with ground it would illuminate lights and then possibly burn/overheat positive or power wire especially if not fused or fused properly. The safety "stuff" is usually on auxilliary circuit but with previous changes on this machine anything is possible.

• Like 1

squonk

Your circuit board for the warning lights most likely shorted out and melted.

In other words the Genie has left the barn. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Sounds like the patient healed itself be cauterizing the artery that was bleeding electrons.   :scared-shocked:

953 nut

I have a 418-C which has no warning lights and if you compare the 418-A wiring diagram to the 418-C you will see that nearly every switch and sensor has a redundant wire running to the warning lights, same tractor otherwise (electrically). They serve no other purpose and in my opinion should not even be there.

• Like 2

mikeeyre74

Well, Squonk hit that one on the nose! 

Took out a couple screws and pulled the LED light panel out to find it looking like this:

Circuit board malfunction

So it's the right side two that manage the motion control and engine temp sensor. 

Circuit board malfunction

The good news is, when I got this tractor, it came with a box of "extra parts" and one of the extra parts was sections of the wiring harness.. including a whole replacement LED light circuit board setup. Lucky me! She's already installed and working fine. 

Now if only I could figure out why the damn pulse pump line for the fuel pump is plugging up with crankcase oil, I'd be all set.. 

• Like 1

oldredrider

Is it possible your crankcase is over filled? 

wallfish
1 hour ago, mikeeyre74 said:

Now if only I could figure out why the damn pulse pump line for the fuel pump is plugging up with crankcase oil, I'd be all set..

Could the diaphragm inside the pump have a hole in it? That would allow pressure to push oil up the line.

I'm not familiar with your engine but just assume a pulse pump uses a diaphragm.

12 hours ago, mikeeyre74 said:

is it possible to just de- clutter  this thing of all of these silly wires and use it like a proper tractor that doesn’t require such pampering? 

:ROTF: 

Amen brother

• Like 2