PeacemakerJack

Vintage Trucks

elcamino/wheelhorse

You guys are making me jealous with all your fancy trucks. If I could talk "she who must be obeyed " into getting rid  of the El Camino it would belong to some one else. Of course the problem is what is its replacement. I don't care for the new model trucks , all look like 4 wheel drives and you need a ladder to get into them. The new mid size ( ?) pickups are nice but very pricey , even used trucks are pricey. Any replacement would have to be Chevy or GMC, it runs in the family. My father was a Buick man. 

• Like 7

Big_Red_Fred
10 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You guys are making me jealous with all your fancy trucks. If I could talk "she who must be obeyed " into getting rid  of the El Camino it would belong to some one else. Of course the problem is what is its replacement. I don't care for the new model trucks , all look like 4 wheel drives and you need a ladder to get into them. The new mid size ( ?) pickups are nice but very pricey , even used trucks are pricey. Any replacement would have to be Chevy or GMC, it runs in the family. My father was a Buick man. 

Theres a nice Pro Street 67 Elcamino here ! 501 powered ! Has Jim Written all over it

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H
11 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Ever think about about first gen Colorado, got my dad one (crew cab Z71) last fall, his first automatic in 30 years but at 80 I thought it was best, Jeff.

IMAG2659.jpg

• Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse
3 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Theres a nice Pro Street 67 Elcamino here ! 501 powered ! Has Jim Written all over it

You want me to get killed twice ? One for another El and the second time "just because"

@WVHillbilly520H When did the 1st gen Colorado  come out  ? I looked at Weki whatever and never really go a straight answer, Didn't GM stop production of the midsize pickups for a couple of years?

WVHillbilly520H

@elcamino/wheelhorse, I believe '03 as an '04 model to replace the S10 stopped production in '12, the top of line '10?-'12 crew cab Z71 had the 5.3 V-8 the rest had inline 4 and 5 cyl (in dads) engines, the Trailblazer had an inline 6 or 6.0 V8, then they reintroduced them in '14 as a '15, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ACman

@PeacemakerJack don’t let that picture fool you of that 98 . Flat Black paint can can hide rust pretty good :) . After that picture he welded in new lower doors, rockers and cab corners. My cousin who owns a body shop was very impressed with my son’s work . It’s in the middle of a frame swap with a 6.5 diesel with Cummings turbo , among other upgrades to bulletproof the engine.   Here’s my daughters truck and my son’s with the bumper rinolined .

7E805E6E-FA34-424E-B8BD-00414B933676.jpeg.b02cc5552cc96b896c8c8891ec058113.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

C-85

This is my 1988 Chevy and she's 30 years old this month!  She's got the 5.7L and 4 speed manual with the creeper gear.  I'm the original owner and this has been a great truck!  

5a52c269814a3_DBpicoffiPod1-20-17714.JPG.4b243f2eeaa4a4f0993b8eb7e220dfdf.JPG

5a52c35231f4e_DBpicoffiPod1-20-17701.JPG.035ad16f8022e7b540e79fe47a66969a.JPG5a52c2e0ecce7_IMG_03041.JPG.67a466601669fca7f1625fb4c34256d4.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

ACman

:text-yeahthat:......That’s what I’m talking about @C-85 perfect example of what a truck should be . I truly believe the 88-98/99 GM trucks were the best truck ever :) . @elcamino/wheelhorse If I lived down south I’d find me a clean example of one these , especially a 98 . The new trucks sheet metal is so thin and talk about gadget and dodads that can eventually be a nightmare just my :twocents-02cents: .

Edited by ACman
  • Excellent 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@ACman I agree with you. A few weeks ago I was at the VA  for a Dr's appointment and there was a old fart like me in a black Chevy pickup which was outstanding , lower the bed two inches so the truck sat level , bucket seats console , bed cover old style Crager wheels . I was temped to make him an offer and then tell "she who must be obeyed " but I tucked my tail in and hobbled off to my appointment. Every time I am at the VA I look for that truck.

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack
10 hours ago, ACman said:

...I truly believe the 88-98/99 GM trucks were the best truck ever :) ... The new trucks sheet metal is so thin and talk about gadget and dodads that can eventually be a nightmare...

Picking the best trucks ever, can kind of be like picking the best athlete of a given sport. It might be easier to pick the best athlete of a decade in basketball but much harder when you look at the entire history of the game.  I look at trucks the same way.  My uncle Bob had that 1972 orange Chev pictured above and he still feels that was the best pickup ever made.  Ironically those were more prone to body rust problems than the 1995 that I own.  My dad did a complete body overhaul and repaint on that truck because of rust issues in about 1982 (pics coming) when that thing was only 10 years old!  Some would say the 40’s and 50’s trucks are where it is at. Without modern drivetrain updates, you’d be hard pressed to do more than 55-60 on the highway if you wanted to tow or pull anything. I think there are a lot of cool features in the new trucks, but I’d be scared to own one in about 15 years given the current track record of electronic device failures. :computer:

From that standpoint, I agree that the 1990’s GM trucks were a great balance of proven reliability in engine and drivetrain components and yet had enough creature comforts to keep most satisfied. The sheet metal was decently treated from the factory to last at least a moderate length of time. That is one of the main reasons that I was hunting very specifically when I purchased the truck I now own.  If I would’ve ordered it brand new, there is very little that I would have optioned differently. 

I took the wife out on a date on friday night in Warrior (my ‘95) because I didn’t want the salt on the newer vehicles.  She went to do something with her makeup and was complaining that the vanity mirror didn’t have automatic lighting.  I told her that she had to put on the overhead lights like in the “old days”.  We do get used to those comforts don’t we? 

That at all being said...I have very much enjoyed this thread and the awesome trucks and stories that you guys have shared. Lots of cool trucks from the different manufacturers and in all shapes and sizes.  Looking forward to seeing more...:popcorn:

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 2

wh500special

There's some really neat old stuff here and it's fun to look at.  Thanks for sharing.

I just got rid of my "vintage" '97 F-250.  It was a good truck.  I missed it for a couple of days after I sold it, but that mourning period was a short one.  I don't foresee keeping my current truck more than 5 years before trading it on something with a warranty, good brakes, and good tires.

We had a chance at a couple of really nice 1948 IH farm trucks a couple years ago.  One a 1.5 ton, the other a 2 ton.  One had 22000 miles, the other 30k.  Rust free beauties from Kansas.  Problem was licensing for them was just too expensive to have desire to deal with.

Sweet trucks though.

I've kind of soured on old vehicles in general and would never again want one as a daily driver or something I need to depend on.  My days of tinkering with old crap is largely over since I've lost the time and desire for my vehicles to get me dirty.  But I am SOOOOOOOOO glad guys like you keep them on the road since they are a blast to look at and dream about!

Unless an old, completely stock and original, first generation Bronco fell in my lap....that might flip me back.

Steve

truck 2 10.14.2017.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

While going through his albums looking for pics of his home built GT, Uncle Ken found this pic of the 1969 C20 that we hope to take possession of this spring and get running again...

FFCBB61D-4ADF-4486-96B2-52860F75E974.jpeg.1b8cdad34a7548f312acc7e55726a087.jpeg

Thats my cousin Paul at about 2.5 years old with a truck that really hasn’t changed much since then. It is really in about the same shape today that it was 37 years ago.

48A55ACE-9BFF-47D5-9853-4A8A8FEFEB0D.jpeg.4bca0331205bacddd1305579b3001022.jpeg

If we get it running this summer, I should have Paul stand behind it like that with his arm on the tail gate, parked in the same spot it is in that old photo. The red shed is gone but the barn on the left is still there!

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

If all goes well this week end and I can take a few photos, look for the saga of the Fordolet.

• Like 2

wh500special

Uncle Ken sure got his money’s worth out of that license plate!

steve

• Haha 3

PeacemakerJack
24 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

...look for the saga of the Fordolet.

:woohoo:CAN’T WAIT!!!:text-coolphotos:

:popcorn:

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost:that is kinda an ugly duckling compared to the GM’s and Fords of the same vintage. However, it is nearly 50 years old and still looking good.  I think it’s rarity and unique body lines would make it a vehicle that Today would get a ton of compliments no matter where you took it.  I like it and also agree that it would be super fun to take tractors to shows with...especially tractors that were the same vintage. 

That at reminds me of this rig from red power roundup 2016...

AC8B5500-87A3-4753-BC51-EE35C90C2459.jpeg.bd3ce5003b1b2cfbf0afa3f0666ce4d1.jpeg

I believe that this was a 1969-70 IH pickup with the same year IH trailer and the same year 185 Cub LowBoy.  I thought it was a really cool time capsule!

• Like 7

ACman

:text-yeahthat:

Can’t count out those International’s either. Those were some tuff trucks and SUV’s .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ACman

@chip61 those are some nice trucks . As I stated before I think the 88-98 C/K trucks were the best all around truck GM made so far.

One other thing do you have any info on that 12 cylinder Oliver in the background. EL TORO on steroids!

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
4 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-goodpost:that is kinda an ugly duckling compared to the GM’s and Fords of the same vintage. However, it is nearly 50 years old and still looking good.  I think it’s rarity and unique body lines would make it a vehicle that Today would get a ton of compliments no matter where you took it.  I like it and also agree that it would be super fun to take tractors to shows with...especially tractors that were the same vintage. 

That at reminds me of this rig from red power roundup 2016...

AC8B5500-87A3-4753-BC51-EE35C90C2459.jpeg.bd3ce5003b1b2cfbf0afa3f0666ce4d1.jpeg

I believe that this was a 1969-70 IH pickup with the same year IH trailer and the same year 185 Cub LowBoy.  I thought it was a really cool time capsule!

My uncle had (dad's sister's husband) had one those IH pickups for a very long time, it was nearly unstoppable, I don't know where it ever got to, now they are still driving an early 80s Bronco II since bought new , Jeff.

• Like 6

PeacemakerJack

Nice looking start to a modified “shark nose” Chev!  Lots of subtil and some pronounced mods—:wicked:

• Like 2

chip61
1 hour ago, ACman said:

@chip61 those are some nice trucks . As I stated before I think the 88-98 C/K trucks were the best all around truck GM made so far.

One other thing do you have any info on that 12 cylinder Oliver in the background. EL TORO on steroids!

I believe that 12 cyl monster was a custom build by the family that owns the grounds where the Field Day event is held-they have a very nice collection of antique equipment and trucks. The engine is a GMC 702 "twin six" truck engine. At a glance it looks like two V-6 engines bolted together, but it is a one piece block. It has two intake manifolds, two carburetors and two separate distributor caps driven by a single distributor drive. 

Here is a better photo of the engine

5a60f5f49cb81_20160916_1814351.jpg.13ce4a3bdf59c26bc8949e6f1844e7d3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Find myself eyeballing this '63 now...

01717_fLEsaucYCfV_1200x900.jpg00H0H_8QJ6ewQx0Od_1200x900.jpg

00W0W_h47LBnDdpd9_1200x900.jpg

I see it now Regal Red with a black out grill, Argent wheels (maybe baby moon in smoothies) with big n lil shoes, maybe copy the engine compartment like my 'BU...:confusion-confused:...that would be Sweeeeeeeeeet...

IMAG0633.jpg

IMAG0849.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1