Sign in to follow this  
ChrisHill

POR 15??

ChrisHill

Well I have decided to put a coat of POR-15 on the underside of my 48" deck from my 417-8. It is still very solid, but I want to keep it that way for another 25 years. (I am 25 and have every intention of this being my last mower. ) Three questions:

1). What POR-15 product do you use? Just the plain Black Paint? I have seen some 2 part mixtures. Also, do you put another coat of paint on top of the POR-15?

2). How much will I need? Could I paint the underside with one pint? I don't forsee another use for it so I would rather not throw away money on a quart.

3). Are there local places to purchase it? I live near Indianapolis and we have all the normal hardware / auto supply places.

Thanks for all your help, I will give some before / after pics.

Chris

jerrell

:thumbs: Hello Chris, welcome, first time i have seen your post, there will be someone on here soon to advise you, i am not familar with that material, i just wash mine after each use, made a drive over washer and it works great, very minor film of rust , those things just seem to last forever, again welcome..

Jim_M

Chris,

If you're careful a pint should do it. The regular black is what I use and it works fine. No need to paint over it, nothing sticks to it anyway.

Our local Menard's sells it now, I would imagine all Menard's probably do. Check eBay, sometimes there are guys selling an extra can or two that they didn't need and you can get a good deal on it.

Jim

sorekiwi

3). Are there local places to purchase it? I live near Indianapolis and we have all the normal hardware / auto supply places.

I dont know where in Indy you are Chris, but my local Napa (Danville) doesnt stock it, but can get it from the Plainfield store.

pond195520032003

Chris, if you go ahead and use the POR 15, make sure you wear gloves and old clothes you dont care about :whistle: also a throw away brush(not a good one) as you cant rinse it out! takes about 6 weeks to wear off skin :thumbs: :whistle:

Kelly

I use the black gloss, and get it from a auto paint suppy co. I like using the cheap foam brushes buy some at your local dollar store might want a couple but they put it on smooooth and yes don't get it on anything you don't want it on :thumbs:

WHC-125

What about undercoating in a spray can? :thumbs:

Operator

CHRIS :thumbs: BUT SOMETHING TELLS ME THIS WON'T BE YOUR LAST MOWER, THERE WILL BE MORE HORSES.

RANDY

WHC-125

I have a feeling he will get bitten by the "Wheel horse bug" and have many more horses in his stable :thumbs:

HorseFixer

I have been useing POR 15 products for 18 years. You should consider useing the newest product in their line. POR 15 "HARD NOSE" paint it is the tuffest paint they offer and has hardner in the kit!

POR 15 HARDNOSE

Teddy da Bear

:thumbs: Glad you could join us.

I guess from the way responders are talking...

This product cannot be sprayed on eh?

Likely the last time you would use that spray gun....

Jim_M

Spray on undercoating won't work, too soft.

TJ

:thumbs:

pond195520032003

Mike, that is correct, if you use a paint gun :dunno: make sure its getting scrapped or thrown away :whistle: i know they have to make something to thin it out somewhere :thumbs: but i have never ran accross anything yet :whistle:

ChrisHill

Well I bought a pint of POR 15 at my local NAPA, and rushed home and put it on. It was $30.00 for the pint, but I only used about 30% of the container. Do guys think I should put a second coat on? I am trying to include pictures, hopefully it will work.

Chris

Attached Image

post-4-1235433521.jpg

ChrisHill

After...

Attached Image

post-4-1235433583.jpg