Team70R

8 speed won't go into neutral

Team70R

Its absolutely freezing here in Indiana and I've been plowing some snow with the C165. I've noticed some grinding when driving it and when I shut it off in neutral and go to push it it grinds even worse and the tires are fighting each other. The input shaft doesn't turn when I push or pull the tractor in "neutral" which is good.. Is it possible the shifter screw is loose?

953 nut

Given the cold temperatures I would suspect your transaxle has water in the oil which has frozen into little chunks creating lots of resistance. Put a heat lamp or other heater under it and when it warms up give it another try.

• Like 4

Team70R

I noticed the plow frame seemed to have some vibration to it... looked underneath and the crossbar for short frame tractors was still in the plow and hitting the brake band when the plow was lifted up :roll: problem solved!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, Team70R said:

problem solved!

:woohoo:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• johnidi
      By johnidi
      I own a 523Dxi with a 52" deck and it's my first season using it. It's an awesome machine, but I need it go a bit faster, especially when it comes to turning. I understand (or think I do) that it's designed to slow sharply on turns to prevent it from tipping. Is that correct? But it seem to slow to much. It's faster to just back up, cut the wheel, realign and cut a new row. Any suggestions on increasing the overall speed a bit? THX 
    • cschannuth
      By cschannuth
      Hello all.  I'm new to the forum and have my Dad's 1978 C-161.  How can I increase ground speed?  I don't want to race the neighbors or anything but I cruise the property with it.  I don't mow with it but use it to move trailers, pull a lawn roller, pull spreaders, etc.  It's in really great condition and everything works but ground speed is pretty slow.  Plus, as you know, Low range is really slow.  Thanks for any help and I hope I put this in the correct section of the forum.
    • Smlfrm
      By Smlfrm
      Proud new owner of 1996 416. Was running but then I messed it up. The lever to the right (forward /reverse) was loose. So in a rush I turned the still connected battery over to get to the set screw instead of disconnecting the battery and it arced on the chassis. Leaving a small weld. I set the lever in position and then tried to start it but it wouldn't fire. So here are the symptoms. Starter spins but won't disengage. If I move a lever the starter will disengage. The tractor is really hard to push and therefore I think it's not in gear..

Brand new battery. Checked fuses. Haven't checked spark but feel like it's some safety switch possibly to do with the fact that it is not in neutral

Please help. Want to get her running and have fun.

Thanks in advance
    • apandit
      By apandit
      Hello All

Just joined the forum - I have the following problem with starting wheel horse 212-5 1989.

Tractor in Nuetral/PARK, blade off, brake on, sitting on the sit - turn the ignition - NOTHING.

Same thing as above but the tractor not in the Nuetral i.e. in gear - the tractor start and runs fine.

Any ideas? Help would be appriciated.