Aldon

Tractor Choices less than 40hp with

Aldon

Loader and Post Hole Digger?

I have a friend in the market for a SCUT/CUT. 

He is in Austin TX area who is starting to think about buying a tractor.

His only parameters he has provided me are, 25-50 hp, Loader and Post Hole Digger.

I know some models have understated power/capability to avoid regs.

I would like to give him 3 options to consider. I assume in Austin TX, pretty much all brands are supported well dealer network wise.

Any input is helpful as I have no experience in these.

ebinmaine

My first thought would be Kubota. ... then an older farm tractor.  AC Ferguson Ford Massey etc....

I really am curious to see what everyone says here. ...

• Like 1

Dennys502

I think Sub compact would be eliminated by the post hole digger.

• Like 1

WHX??

I may get drummed out of the club for this one but I would at least look at a JD and then possibly Mahindra or Kioti.... @WVHillbilly520H might be able to help out with those.  New Holland might be another suggestion as well as the "other" reds..... Case/Massey/IH.

May have to go aftermarket for the post attachment but any tractor dealer worth his ags should be able to help out with that.  TSC has even got them.

• Like 1

Aldon

For re-sale, If that is a consideration for my friend, Green and Orange would definitely have to be strong contenders.

But I would prefer to point him to models as well as brands.

He is even less knowledgeable than myself. 

I just need to point him in a general direction and he will research and decide. He has a technical background as I do so I am just speeding his process a bit.

WVHillbilly520H

A Kioti CK 27 or 30 used, I haven't kept up with their newer models, New Holland "Boomer" their remake of the 8N with 4x4 , Mahindra will get you the longest warranty but after the Max series (26hp) next step above mine, I really don't know then resale? Watch out for the newer Deere and Kubotas IMHO only get the ones that has cast iron trans/axle housings some are aluminum as far as plastic body panels most are anymore,  Massey Ferguson 1500 series would be a good option too, hope I stirred the mud up even clearer now, Jeff.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

, hope I stirred the mud up even clearer now, Jeff.

:lol:

• Like 1

ACman

:text-yeahthat:.... don’t count out the Massey’s (AGCO Allis Gleaner Company) http://www.agcocorp.com/brands/massey-ferguson.html

But don’t overlook the mahindra’s https://mahindrausa.com/company  . They’re doing a lot here in the USA . They just built a new facility in Auburn Hills Michigan to produce their utv’s .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

1944 Farmall M  About 40 hp...bullet proof, parts and reproductions widely available, easy to work on no complex electrical systems to fail. 100% made in the USA.  There are several aftermarket add-on 3pts produced for them that would handle a post hole digger.  I have a loader on mine.  Wheel weights and loaded tires she will drag any of the aforementioned tractors around backwards:P

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

• Like 9

WVHillbilly520H

The MF 1700 series would be the next size up 36-60 HP more in line with a true farm tractor...

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Interesting question?  I'm 50 miles NW of Austin and have also been considering a small/medium size tractor I can easily pull with a 1/2 ton truck and a 7000 lb rated trailer. We have a large tractor at the farm 120 miles away. But I need some thing I can take to the deer pasture and back to the house.  Something with a loader, 4-5 ft shredder  and a disc or tiller.

I'm also learning small tractors seem to bring a premium around Austin due to many acreage subdivision in the Hill Country.  It could be worth going to East Texas or Oklahoma.

The Mahindras and Kioti compacts look interesting. A Ford 3000 or a Massey 35 (65-75 vintage) are solid tractors if you find one that has been taken care of,  As indicated above an older Farmalll or Case are tough (I prefer the wide front axle)

I'm learning you have to be careful with some of the early Compact or SCUT tractors.  For a few years the Case and Massey were rebranded Hinomoto tractors.  I looked at a Case (Hinomoto) this summer and checked into part and found them very hard to find and expensive.    

• Like 1

ACman

Tractor data.com is going to be your friend here for new and used tractors. http://www.tractordata.com/ This will tell you who makes what .

I can tell you that most name brand tractor 40hp and under built during the mid 70’s thru the 90’s were Japanese built . Allis Chalmers for example 20/30 hp tractors were made by Japanese Himomoto and the 40/50 hp were Italian Fiat .

Just do your homework. Most farmers are brand loyal but became that way because that was their closest dealer. That’s my :twocents-02cents: from growing up in the Ag business.

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Good points Jeff.

• Like 1

slim67

Ive recently worked a Kioti and we have a Mahindra at work. John Deere and Kubota are probably everyones first picks for any poll but i really liked the Kioti and the Mahindra is affordable( also the largest tractor manufacturer in the world). There all too much for me need wise and price wise. 

12 minutes ago, ACman said:

Tractor data.com is going to be your friend here for new and used tractors. http://www.tractordata.com/ 

I can tell you that most name brand tractor 40hp and under built during the mid 70’s thru the 90’s were Japanese built . Allis Chalmers for example 20/30 hp tractors were made by Hinomoto and the 40/50 hp were Italian Fiat .

Just do your homework. Most farmers are brand loyal but became that way because that was their closest dealer. That’s my :twocents-02cents: growing up in the business. 

Our little JD 4100 is a Yanmar but a heck of a good tractor.

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Mahindra is based in India but sources the sub compacts eMax from TYM South Korea with Daedong(read Kioti)enhinges, the compact Max with Mitsubishi engines, then their utility/farm tractors are theirs with Perkins engines, Yanmar used to supply Deere engines then built the Cub Cadet line of sub/compact tractors now branding/selling their own, LS is another that's source from the pick of frames/engines, the prices are so close the best way to pick one is first find a reputable dealer(s) then go test drive them, features/specs on paper are one thing if it doesn't fit your BUTT doesn't matter what it can do or costs ect... Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

slim67
5 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Mahindra is based in India but sources the sub compacts eMax from TYM South Korea with Daedong(read Kioti)enhinges, the compact Max with Mitsubishi engines, then their utility/farm tractors are theirs with Perkins engines, Yanmar used to supply Deere engines then built the Cub Cadet line of sub/compact tractors now branding/selling their own, LS is another that's source from the pick of frames/engines, the prices are so close the best way to pick one is first find a reputable dealer(s) then go test drive them, features/specs on paper are one thing if it doesn't fit your BUTT doesn't matter what it can do or costs ect... Jeff.

Im glad I dont have to make that choice. Theres Mahindra,Kioti,Kubota,New Holland and John Deere dealerships all in my range.

• Like 1

ACman

I’m just going to throw this out there as it should be on any tractor nut’s bucket list . The National Farm Machinery Show is a must see and it’s way more than Ag tractors. It’s huge and you need more than two days to see it all . http://www.farmmachineryshow.org/

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
9 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Im glad I dont have to make that choice. Theres Mahindra,Kioti,Kubota,New Holland and John Deere dealerships all in my range.

I have one of each of the first 2 so far I'm happy with what I have but yes there are times when bigger would be a help too...

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG2971.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

slim67
43 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I have one of each of the first 2 so far I'm happy with what I have but yes there are times when bigger would be a help too...

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG2971.jpg

Both nice machines but I know a guy fairly well who sells kioti so between the two,id lean that way. But price matters a lot to me. We have a lower end Mahindra so I havent tried their nicer and newer models.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Speaking of size, I'm a big tall guy, and some of the SCUT, and Compacts physical fit me and some don't have the leg room

It,s one thing for me to be almost eating my knees on a Suburban fun ride, but you need to fit the tractor if your going to work it

• Like 2

Aldon

Lots of good information.

Pretty much what I had ascertained when I was entertaining purchasing one.

They are all similar enough in quality and performance that it comes down to dealer proximity, comfort/fit and price.

If re-sale value not a concern.

Or at least that’s the way I digested comments so far.

If it was my money i’d Think about a used tractor but my buddy will likely buy new.

The Kioti brand seems formidable...

Cvans

I'm not fond of the newer tractors because of the the computerized controls on them. I think my all time favorite tractor is the Fordson Dexta diesel. Parts are readily available and it's easy to work on if necessary. Live PTO, 3 point hitch, high and low range, very stable, and extremely easy on fuel. The only down side is I didn't know about them 30 years ago. 

This is mine.

Fordson 002.JPG

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

slim67
14 hours ago, Cvans said:

I'm not fond of the newer tractors because of the the computerized controls on them. I think my all time favorite tractor is the Fordson Dexta diesel. Parts are readily available and it's easy to work on if necessary. Live PTO, 3 point hitch, high and low range, very stable, and extremely easy on fuel. The only down side is I didn't know about them 30 years ago. 

This is mine.

Fordson 002.JPG

My dad has a 600 ford thats as simple as you can get.

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

This sweet lil red tractor would be a good option too...

Screenshot_20180105-202520.png

• Like 5

ohiofarmer

Let's say that you want to use a front end loader quite a bit and a post hole digger occasionally, and also want a piece of equipment that you can mount inexpensive 3 point equipment like a landscape rake on..

For my money, it is Bobcat skid steer loaders.  I can pick a piece of lint off you with my front end loader on my 853. You can buy a 3 point adapter at TSC  for a hundred or so to mount implements on the bucket  mount called a Bobtach. Final grading with a Bobcat is so much better because you are steering with your hands and operating the bucket with your feet---and you can SEE and even feel what the bucket is doing. For a post hole digger, you have to have front hydraulics, but they will out dig anything else out there and you can reverse the rotation if you hit a rock.  I have dug 18" diameter holes 4 feet deep in a matter of a few minutes.

I can outwork a tractor/loader/backhoe 2 to 1 with the loader in  close quarters unless loading a carrying over longer distances like 150 feet.

Another option you can enjoy is that you have developed skill with your machine, and if you need to rent a complicated tool with a rented bobcat ,then your skills as an operator will transfer to the rented machine.

The aftermarket has invented so many tools for the bobcat that I never cease to be amazed

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1