PeacemakerJack

“JackRabbit”—Caleb’s 418-C

19richie66

My pleasure. I wasn’t using them anyways and glad to see them go to a good home. If you need anything else, ask away. I have lots of small parts and stuff left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
13 hours ago, Coulter Caleb said:

It was a real blessing getting Jackrabbit up and running again

The true blessing is having a great young man like you join us!         Glad Jackrabbit is coming along well, my 418-C is going to get some love over the next few months too.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Great job, sounds good. Really nice job.

Glenn

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

So—last night after I got back home from church and got everyone settled in for bed, I went out to my office to work on a few business related items. I have to walk through my shop to head up to the office and so I decided to sit on JackRabbit for a couple of minutes and admire our work.  I was thinking about the fact that Caleb would like to try it for plowing and something dawned on me.  I think the seat that is on that tractor will be great for plowing.  It has a back but it is short enough that when you turn half way around, it is easy to rest an elbow on the top of the seat back.  I also like the armrest on the right hand side—can keep you from sliding off the tractor into the furrow:-o.  The armrest on the left side remains to be seen. Sometimes it is helpful to slide over the land side tire for extra ballast—hard to do when you have an armrest in the way.  

The only way way to know for sure is to try it out this summer.  I do know that it is awesome to have everything solid on the seat mount and the adjustable seat working again...

• Like 5

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack, you need a set of the flip up arm rests like on the center one, unfortunately I sold that last spring.

IMAG2481.jpg

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

17519_400x400.jpg.f1ef31fdfa0aca525bab1f02cb350a66.jpg

Overkill ?????

• Haha 5

PeacemakerJack

:ROTF:

As fast as JackRabbit is, that seatbelt might be a good idea:auto-swerve:

• Haha 5

PeacemakerJack

9EBF865C-CE2B-46D0-B4D1-0EFA495F43A9.jpeg.462a7f96513a437bb700e87fd5b0da76.jpeg

A couple of Commercial beasts!

Is anyone on here running 23x10.50-12 Carlisle all trails on a 3/4/500 series horse?  I’m thinking those might be a good look and functional on JR.

D4E8B880-227B-4DA9-8AB7-2F9346BF3763.png.775a826ef06bb69669d05647896fd7d6.png

I’m open to suggestions though...:think:

Edited by PeacemakerJack
  • Like 3

19richie66

I have them on my 417-A. I can get you a better picture later today. Very good tires for all around use. They do good in the sand here. We run them on our 4x4 carts out at work. 

9B126DBE-0063-479C-9ED9-C615EB352F19.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

@Sparky...Yeah, Mike's got 'em too. 

New tires Carlisle All Trail

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I have them on my 417-A. I can get you a better picture later today. Very good tires for all around use. They do good in the sand here. We run them on our 4x4 carts out at work. 

9B126DBE-0063-479C-9ED9-C615EB352F19.jpeg

Those sure look nice on there Richie!  Thanks for the :text-coolphotos: I wonder how a set of V61's would look with that combo...:think:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Those sure look nice on there Richie!  Thanks for the :text-coolphotos: I wonder how a set of V61's would look with that combo...:think:

I. M. H. O. Excellent!

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

As mentioned in a different thread, we got some seat time on JackRabbit today.  I wasn’t happy with how it was idling and so I checked the carb settings. This tractor has a fixed main jet but an adjustable idle jet.  The adjustable idle was out of whack by almost two full turns. I also checked the spark plugs and they were about .010 undergapped. That helped some but I’m not happy with the governor operation.  When you get the throttle past mid point, the engine seems like it runs up to a really high RPM.   I’m not sure what is causing this, but hopefully I can get it pinpointed. 

89CEB4A2-AB55-46C7-8548-6BC8933A7416.jpeg.64b66cf264a670803aff5016e9000d61.jpeg

I also need to figure out why it’s not charging more than about 12.6 volts.  Other than those items and spacing out the idler pulley, it is a fun machine!

• Like 3

Sarge

Did you ground the regulator body properly?

Sarge

• Confused 1

PeacemakerJack

@Sarge Please elaborate...:coffee:

19richie66

Should be two wires coming out of the stator that go on the outside terminals and the middle terminal should be 12 volts. Normally the regulator is grounded through the engine in that since the cooling tin is metal but it wouldn’t hurt to try a ground jumper to the regulator body. 

63721AF1-07FD-466C-9050-DD40234FC1CD.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Sand off any paint around the regulator mounting bolts.  Use star lock washers and some dielectric grease to make sure the regulator body is well grounded.  Use you ohm meter to check resistance between regulator case and batt (-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for the info guys.  Do you know what the AC current coming to the regulator from the stator should be while the engine is running.  I thought that I had read somewhere that it was like 33volts AC.  I set my tester on AC and put the ground on the battery negative and stuck the red lead into the AC terminals. One side had a reading of 11 and the other side was like .2.  I want to make sure that I’m testing them correctly.  I have a readout on the center lead of 12-12.1volts DC.  Same at the battery.  GhostRider runs around 14 volts at the battery and in turn the B+ post.  I would guess that there is a way to test the regulator independently to see if it is working.:confusion-confused:

Howie

I think on the Briggs stators you hook one lead to each and run engine to check. Not sure if the same is true with Kohler.

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Measure the ACV across the two leads from the stator.  Should be about 30V at WOT and vary directly with RPM.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Finally Got to try Caleb’s JackRabbit out as a plow tractor yesterday.  It did amazingly well considering the fact that we basically stripped off the bagger (more about that later), the mower deck, installed weights and hitch, checked fluids, put on the 10” Brinly and here is the result...

Caleb had a great time and we were both pleased how well it worked. The Magnum 18 makes stout yet smooth and quiet power.  The Eaton 1100 seems totally up to the task of plowing the hard ground, the hydraulic lift was great!  Caleb let me take a couple rounds and I was happy with it.  I’ll let Caleb tell you more about it when he gets back on the site.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

pfrederi
1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Finally Got to try Caleb’s JackRabbit out as a plow tractor yesterday.  It did amazingly well considering the fact that we basically stripped off the bagger (more about that later), the mower deck, installed weights and hitch, checked fluids, put on the 10” Brinly and here is the result...

Caleb had a great time and we were both pleased how well it worked. The Magnum 18 makes stout yet smooth and quiet power.  The Eaton 1100 seems totally up to the task of plowing the hard ground, the hydraulic lift was great!  Caleb let me take a couple rounds and I was happy with it.  I’ll let Caleb tell you more about it when he gets back on the site.

Where are the rocks the clay and hard pan,  that stuff looks to easy to plow:P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

PeacemakerJack

Jackrabbit made it look easy to plow.  It is black soil indeed, however we are very dry here right now and that being the case, the ground was like a rock in many places.  An inch of rain last week Tuesday wouldve made that soil a dream to plow.  The large sized antique tractors plowed he rest of the field later in the day.  Those guys found the same thing.  Sometimes they had to raise their plows some to pull them.  

Also, when your family owns several hundred acres of farm land, you can scout the best spots.  The area we started plowing was more clay based and was nearly impossible to plow with a GT unless going only about 2” deep. If that is the depth, might as well use a disc or cultivator!:D

• Like 1

19richie66

Fine job with that hydro. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1