PeacemakerJack

“JackRabbit”—Caleb’s 418-C

WHX??

I've got a few Lockhart MC oil coolers Josh if you think you can use them. Not original I know , but I also have access to a whole host of fan blades I'm sure I could find one that will work. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks Jim!  I’ll take you up on the fan for sure.  We will have to discuss the practicality of the oil cooler and location possibilities in the future.  I do like the idea for sure...

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack, I can tell you from experience with my hydro since new and doing everything from mowing to garden tilling and snow removal (WOT), to driveway repairs with the rear box/scraper blade and turn plowing (at less than WOT), as long as that fan is good and installed correctly and the hydro pump/fins are clean it doesn't overheat, I regularly washed with garden hose and compressed air to "clean" after mowing but transfluid changes and seeping at the dipstick oil does get places you can't see then add dust,chaffe, and grass it gets packed in those hydro pumps and 3-4 summers ago I had the trans temp light come on while mowing with the anniversary, pulled the seat and fender pan, and no I didn't have it clean as I thought I did electric pressure washed it and no issues since, but that was 15+ years into it, so my point is I don't think you will need an external fluid cooler as long as you keep it clean, I'll add some pics of the '95 I picked up 2 years ago before and after you'll see what I mean, Jeff.

IMAG2020.jpg

IMAG2022.jpg

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

WHX??

Was thinkin along those same lines Jeffery ..Those fans weren't meant to move crud just air! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Shynon
31 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I really like this as a possibility if we end up using this tractor for a plow mule.  Anything that can be done to keep the fluid cooler when in hard working conditions is a good thing in my book.  Thanks for the link.

We have and older gentleman Don who has come to plow with us on a 418A with a 12" brinly and pulls it with ease all day. I wouldn't be too worried about that hydro. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

19richie66

@PeacemakerJack I may have a spare fan on my parts tractor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

PeacemakerJack

Thanks Richie—PM sent!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1

richmondred01

New member to the elusive 418 club.IMG_1682.JPG.ccddce656d7f71eba97263ab4c4f18a4.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

19richie66
2 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

New member to the elusive 418 club.IMG_1682.JPG.ccddce656d7f71eba97263ab4c4f18a4.JPG

Looks like a fine specimen too!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
3 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

Caleb thanks you and that is one beautiful. :wh:  you have there!  Thanks for sharing.  I like that louvered hood-sweet:handgestures-thumbupright:

19richie66

So the 418-c didn’t have a louvered hood? Interesting. I would figure any of the twins would have that. I wonder what the reason for leaving them off the C series and putting them on the A and -8 series was? If it were functional, I would think they all would have them. Must have just been for looks? My 417-a and 418-a both have louvered hoods. I know I hate when it rains as I get water on my air cleaners so I have to cover them. One day Ill have a magic shed. 👍

F4563449-AB65-45F3-91EA-CD0E0DEBB598.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 5

PeacemakerJack

Very interesting indeed...:think:

richmondred01

Got a 418-a louvered hood.

6DA98B33-52B3-494E-9626-D2D8E9841FF1.jpeg

Edited by richmondred01
  • Thanks 1

ericj

the 520-HC didn't have a louvered hood either

45 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

So the 418-c didn’t have a louvered hood?

eric j 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Its funny that all the larger blackhoods I have seen have solid hoods but the smaller b series blackhoods have louvers. 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
44 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

So the 418-c didn’t have a louvered hood? Interesting. I would figure any of the twins would have that. I wonder what the reason for leaving them off the C series and putting them on the A and -8 series was? If it were functional, I would think they all would have them. Must have just been for looks? My 417-a and 418-a both have louvered hoods. I know I hate when it rains as I get water on my air cleaners so I have to cover them. One day Ill have a magic shed. 👍

Richie , I think your magic shed is missing the sides and roof, like the floor.:ROTF:

• Haha 4

19richie66

Pretty much, lol

• Haha 2

pfrederi
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

If your aircleaner is getting wet you are missing a part of your louvered hood.

This is from my 418a  It is a catch tray and note tIMG_0126.JPG.325c0a1abc0e498b0434061be30b7568.JPGhe drain hose to carry the collected water down in front of the engine.   It seems to missing in Richmond reds picture also

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

This is from my 418a  It is a catch tray and note tIMG_0126.JPG.325c0a1abc0e498b0434061be30b7568.JPGhe drain hose to carry the collected water down in front of the engine.   It seems to missing in Richmond reds picture also

I can't tell from the small picture on my phone but does that catch can have an air separation slot from the hood? In other words... are the louvers meant to let hot air go up and out of the hood or are they just for looks?

• Like 1

ericj
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

you learn something new every day, I never seen one of those on any louvered hood tractor

eric j

• Like 1

richmondred01

Very interesting. I’ve never seen a catch tray. Is that factory?

i like it. 

Looks like it would be an easy fabrication.

Edited by richmondred01
  • Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

418-c didn’t have a louvered hood?

I think the louvered hood was cosmetic rather than functional. The 418-C was a no frills utilitarian :wh: priced a bit lower than the "A".

1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

This is from my 418a  It is a catch tray

My 418-A didn't have the drain pan or mounting studs either. Wonder if it was a well fabricated owner built ad on?

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

This is fascinating...:popcorn:!  I’m up on the roof working away but in between waiting on my cut man to hand me sheets of plywood, I’ve been following this discussion!  

image.jpg.f27541c9a19f1380bcf429380041b016.jpgKeep it up, let’s see if we can get to the bottom of this. @CasualObserver can you weigh in on this? 

While we we are comparing the C to the A—I’ve read that the C has faster gearing. Is that true?  I know that JackRabbit is definitely faster than my cousins 520H but...?:think:

• Like 4

pfrederi

Yes there is an air gap to let the heat out of the louvers.  Factory???  I didn't buy it new but it is a very  professional looking setup and given the abuse she took from previous owners i doubt they did something like it.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I’m up on the roof working away but in between waiting on my cut man to hand me sheets of plywood

:ROTF:

:text-yeahthat:

I do the same thing on this site while waiting for my own customers or whatever off and on....

• Haha 1