PeacemakerJack

“JackRabbit”—Caleb’s 418-C

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Whenever you work on it together means something. I remember that with my boys. I think about it often. Seems eons ago now.  Enjoy it.

Glenn

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

Everything I've learned to date as a man started from learning when I was young and hanging around with my Dad and especially my Grandfather. Dad was a professional mechanic and Grandpa was the world's greatest tinkerer - he loved to fix things and never threw anything away. Just basic tools and little real know-how but he always got it done. I was very lucky in being allowed to hang out in shops and such - Dad had taught me how to be in those places and be respectful enough not to be a bother or ever get into anything unless told to do so - then I was allowed to help over time. I never asked too many questions or pestered a mechanic when he was busy - Dad had a short fuse but was a great teacher at the same time - pretty much the same deal at other shops where I helped keep them clean for a little spending cash and a lot of knowledge that was free. I never did well on tests and such in school - it wasn't a hands-on thing and that's what I was good at. My grades in shop classes and welding were perfect across the board but subjects like English and such was a struggle - it wasn't how I learned to do things, lol.

I don't see a lot of parents spending enough time like above with their kids - they work too much or are absorbed into being an adult and their children suffer, glad to see you're spending this time with your boy - he will thank you later for sure. There were a lot of things that I learned from time spent in various shops - enough from everyone around me to actually be better at certain things than my Father - and he gave me the respect in those areas to help him later in life, that was a true honor and sure helped with my confidence in the long run.  Dad was the type that specialized in his field and was highly respected around this whole area - later in life I became that guy and still do some freelance work at times for several shops but I have him to thank for teaching me the basics of learning hands-on and not from a book. He would never fix my car - if it broke or I broke it in some way I had to fix it with Dad's guidance - and pay for parts as well, it's why I take such good care of my equipment. At times you'll think your kid isn't paying attention - but later you'll find out they don't miss a thing, my daughter sure didn't and I'm very proud of what she's accomplished as an adult. You can't buy that for any amount of money - your time goes much further than you think....

Might want to encourage him to join the board - with our guidance/help and yours he'll feel like part of a community and learn even more if he has the interest. Since it's his tractor the work he puts into it now will pay off quickly when he gets to use it to do chores or just "play" - we need that in our hobby to keep it alive for many generations to come. I learn new things here every day from just reading all the posts and when I'm able I'll chime in with advice and try to help others to "pay" for what I learn here - this forum is one of my favorite tools on the Information Highway and I know it can be trusted, unlike so much of the rest of the Internet. It's tough for kids these days with the amount of knowledge they have to learn now compared to their parents when they were in school, too bad he doesn't get the free time like we did growing up but if he's truly interested in this stuff he'll find a way - I know I sure did as a kid, it was more fun to learn the mechanical parts of how things work versus just reading about it.

:bow-blue:to you for doing this for your son - this is my favorite part of our forum .

Sarge

• Like 3
  • Excellent 6

tims tractors

Thanks for the support Jack. I do,nt think people realize how many grandparents, aunts an uncles are taking in kids that their parents should be raising but are,nt.  Thanks. Tim

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Good job men, off to a great start.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Thanks @Tuneup for sharing your story with us.  It is amazing how our back stories are different and yet for a love of these little red machines we are together at one “place”.  In spite of a father with no interest or ability, you persevered and followed your mechanical pursuits.  Now you have passed that knowledge on to your kids.  My biggest concern with my children when it comes to life lessons, is to put them in a place to have a balanced background.  If they don’t follow a given path, music, arts, sports, mechanics, etc, I still want them to have a working knowledge of it.  If I have no skill in those areas, I want to hook them up with someone who does.  Just because I can’t find a “C” on a piano to save my life, doesn’t mean that my son shouldn’t.  Same thing goes for my daughter.  Just because my wife can’t change the oil on the family car doesn’t mean that my daughter shouldn’t.  Balance is very important to me.  

Thanks for for bringing this up here, I appreciate it greatly!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto

Caleb's :wh: looks to be coming along nicely. I think that it is fantastic that he wants & likes to work on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Today had some interesting lessons to be taught while working with Caleb...fixing other people’s mistakes.  The previous owner said that there was some water in the tank from a broken fuel cap.  As mentioned above, we dumped the old fuel and cleaned out the tank to be sure.  Then changed fuel lines and put on a remote tank with clean fuel, disconnected the supply line to the carb and routed it to a waste container and rolled the engine for several short periods to cycle fuel through the system.  

9D450A4C-94F7-450D-A1CA-89595023FEC0.jpeg.eca3503f11bb54d0a7ce999786baf48f.jpeg

Next up we pulled the air cleaner cover and base to uncover this nifty workmanship.  Caleb asked why this wasn’t good and so we had a discussion about doing things the right way. He pulled the carb, took off the float bowl (crud in there for sure), cleaned the carb good, and reassembled.  I got into my stash of old Magnum motors and Walbro carbs and located the clips we needed.

DF892B11-A59E-43D6-8DE1-E980CA40DA66.jpeg.01eb265795f74ed74c972a8ca1d0382f.jpeg

Then we got it put back together like it should be.  One question I have for any of you guys that may own a :wh: with the Magnum motor, “Does the PCV breather on your engine exit like this?”...

18649497-A44B-4D25-A88A-60A021E463B4.jpeg.5a04b7cad86abfc31329505033e6115a.jpeg

All the other tractors that I have owned or worked on had that tube running up into the base plate of the air cleaner assembly.  This tractor has it running out under the exhaust manifold to the flywheel side of the motor. I have tubes from my parts motors to put it into the air cleaner if necessary but if that is the way wheel horse spec’d It, I’ll keep it that way.

8A9BAE18-818A-4152-87BC-9B04C10562F5.jpeg.cfeef66824ebeabc080d9b375805c327.jpeg

All I can say is that the Eaton 1100 is one beast of a hydro!  Caleb worked on cleaning the grease and hunk off of the frame, hoses, hydro etc. I found that a cotter pin was missing to hold the brake arm into the neutral return plate.  So, I got that back into place.  The next major thing is to find the wiring diagram for this fairly rare tractor and try to figure out what is all problematic with it.  Hopefully we will have it ready to use soon... 

• Excellent 7

953 nut
24 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

find the wiring diagram for this fairly rare tractor and try to figure out what is all problematic with it.

Here you go. The good news is the 418-C didn't have as many needless doodads in the wiring as the 418-A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
44 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

All the other tractors that I have owned or worked on had that tube running up into the base plate of the air cleaner assembly.  This tractor has it running out under the exhaust manifold to the flywheel side of the motor

Routing the tube into the air cleaner is purely an emissions move. The thought is that it is better to burn any oil vapor than it is to just blow it into the air. It also keeps oil build up in the tube from dripping on to the ground. Another benefit of routing the tube into the air cleaner is that it keeps any oil vapor off of the outside of the engine, so things stay a little cleaner.

It's good that you are finding and fixing all the little issues. Looks like a shoe man may have been there before you. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Shynon

Looks great, Caleb is really digging into this. Nice to see stepped up to a red plow mule:ychain: will be looking forward to seeing this one in the furrows

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

953 nut
10 minutes ago, Shynon said:

looking forward to seeing this one in the furrows

Don't know if those 10.50 rear tires will go into a furrow.       :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PeacemakerJack
23 minutes ago, Shynon said:

... will be looking forward to seeing this one in the furrows

Funny you should say this Tom.  Caleb just asked me about that the other day.  You know that I’m personally much more into GD tranny’s for plowing but this Eaton should be more than up to the task (for a hydro) and it does have hydraulic lift already.  My only concern is, without a fan near the hydro, do you think it will remain adequately cooled? I wonder if there is a way to attach an auxiliary tranny cooler...:think:

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack, there on the hydro drive pulley does yours have a threaded bolt hole provision? If so that's where the hydro pump fan bolts up to, Jeff.

Screenshot_20180106-221129.png

Screenshot_20180106-221518.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shynon
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

pulling a 12 they will

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

Caleb’s fan must’ve been broken and discarded somewhere along the trail—

F8251D53-8BAD-44F6-B0AC-474061C609B1.jpeg.fd1ad269653d8ae06f34ac1c9b8e04be.jpeg

The hole is there and threaded! So, I’ll have to come up with a fan and we can at least attempt to keep that thing cool.  We will be sure to clean the fins throughly. Thanks Jeff!

And thanks Richard for the link. I’ve downloaded the manual and have begun to study over the wiring. Pretty sure I’m gonna need a new key switch...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ericj

I plow with a 520-H with 23x10.50x12 rear ag tires and a 12" plow. it does a good job to get the job done but,,, In the plowing contest I've entered I usually get beaten by the guy's with a 6" plow on a little 656 or something like that. With that being said it is a blast to go out and plow with the 520. It's easy to get to the hydro lift on the column and the motion control lever at the same time, and operate the MCL

eric j  

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Think big.

Big furrow.

Big plants go there.

9 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I wonder if there is a way to attach an auxiliary tranny cooler...:think:

Not IF but HOW... 

We want :text-coolphotos: of how you do it too!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

c-series don

That is definitely missing the plastic fan that bolts onto that pulley. You can usually find one for about 25 bucks. 

• Like 1

Lost Pup

I own a 418C and a 418A. Great machines.

Let me know if you need any specific photo requests.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
19 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I wonder if there is a way to attach an auxiliary tranny cooler.

A small power steering cooler could be placed in the line to the filter.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13200?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-derale-cooling-products

• Like 2

WHX??
On 1/6/2018 at 11:41 AM, Achto said:

he wants & likes to work on it.

He keeps it up there might be a few other local :wh: to wrench on!

• Like 4

WHX??
22 hours ago, Shynon said:

Nice to see stepped up to a red plow mule:ychain: will be looking forward to seeing this one in the furrows

I was gonna say something about that a long time ago Tom but figured it be better to have a son a Cub than a daughter on a JD! :ychain:

• Haha 3

PeacemakerJack
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I really like this as a possibility if we end up using this tractor for a plow mule.  Anything that can be done to keep the fluid cooler when in hard working conditions is a good thing in my book.  Thanks for the link.

• Like 1