Dan693

Thinking about trying a foot pedal throttle on my WH,

Has anyone ever tried it and how did it work out?

Thanks!

rmaynard

Not sure why you would want to. Unlike cars, most engines on tractors are designed to run at full throttle when operating. However, you might want to search in "pullers". Many pullers use a foot throttle.

• Like 3

WHX??

If in I remember right @VinsRJ put one on a tractor just for the halibut. I could maybe see it on a tractor I would use just for fun or pulling tubs around the yard.

Here's a dandy put they can be easily made.

https://mwsc.co/products/gas-pedal

wallfish

For normal tractor use and chores, doesn't make much sense but I did one for a 35 mph hot rod tractor. Worked great too!

• Like 2

oliver2-44

On al large tractor with a loader a foot pedal tractor is really nice to give it that extra umph as you dig into a pile of material as you fill the bucket.

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

I have a foot throttle on the Crazy Horse.  It works fine for hot rodding, but I wouldn't want it on a working tractor.    I do have foot motion control on all my hydros and  would never go back to hand control especially for blowing and plowing snow in close quarters.

FOOT THROTTLE PEDAL

IMG_6894.JPG.0096c1bb6a280b7514320655f0143484.JPG

MOTION CONTROL PEDAL

IMG_5826.JPG.d79c2fe40f3812b5ea711c748d2088c2.JPG

• Like 5

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, WHX14 said:

just for the halibut

sounds fishy to me....

3 hours ago, Dan693 said:

Thinking about trying a foot pedal throttle on my WH

Is there a particular reason behind this here thought?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

953 nut

Unless you are driving on a perfectly smooth surface you would find the throttle would be bouncing around too much. On a loader tractor the throttle over-ride like @oliver2-44 mentioned would be good to have.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

How about a foot control for the motion control lever of an automatic, NOT on the throttle control ?   I have a 1076 with the old stirrup style footrests.  I'd like to be able to steer,  operate the hydro lift for the plow, and control the speed of the tractor without requiring three hands.   Anyone have success with one ?

Jim

wallfish
6 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

How about a foot control for the motion control lever of an automatic, NOT on the throttle control ?   I have a 1076 with the old stirrup style footrests.  I'd like to be able to steer,  operate the hydro lift for the plow, and control the speed of the tractor without requiring three hands.   Anyone have success with one ?

Scroll back up to @Ed Kennell 's post #6.

On 1/2/2018 at 7:54 PM, Ed Kennell said:

MOTION CONTROL PEDAL

IMG_5826.JPG.d79c2fe40f3812b5ea711c748d2088c2.JPG

Kurt-NEPA

I have one of Matt's foot pedals on my 95 520H.  I really like it.  Especially when blowing snow.  Much more control with less effort.  For mowing, I like it that I can quickly slow down when needed.  Using that 520H lever on the dash was always a bit awkward.

BTW, I have 2 5xi's, both had foot pedal from the factory.  I like them.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Scroll back up to @Ed Kennell 's post #6.

I am not familiar with the motion control on the 1076 Jim, but I have added this pedal to all the hydros on my Cs, 3, 4, and 500s.

It is an easy addition to any hydro that has the console mounted lever that can be connected directly to a pedal with a rod, and it works great especially for plowing and blowing snow.

• Thanks 1

Sarge

To make a foot control on the older style Sundstrand transmission you have to add an arm to the mechanism where the direction control arm is attached to the boxed frame - that's how the original foot control kits were designed. This allows the clutch/brake pedal to still work and independently control the hydro to stop the tractor - but if your foot is pushing on the hydro direction control via the foot pedal mod the two will fight each other and it won't stop. @gwest_ca can probably find the installation sheets for the early version foot controls...? It's tough to describe how these things are engineered, but with the instructions it gives a clearer picture of how they did it.

Sarge

Dan693

A ton of input on my post which is great. Been really busy but I got it done and it works perfectly. I dont mow with it....just plow snow.

Have some test and tune to do when it gets above zero but will try to post some info and pics when I can.

• Like 5

Jerry77
On 1/2/2018 at 7:54 PM, Ed Kennell said:

I do have foot motion control

Is that a homemade rig Ed?...could you provide more pics and info on it?...looks real handy and cheaper by a lot than the bought ones....:)

Ed Kennell

@Jerry77    PM sent.

Cub fan

Dan693, this may not be the place to ask you but you had a post sometime back about sometimes it is better to just do a clean up on an old unit instead of a complete restoration due to time and skill. I want to do that to my unit not sure where to start and what products to use, I read a lot of your article and respect what you have written and done. If you can give me some advice I would be thankful.   Jim the Cub fan and your neighbor in Carmel.

littleredrider

I have a lawn ranger that has foot gas pedal. I don't remember how it hooked up or what was used. In a storage shed at my mother's and never go there much anymore lol. But this was a crazy horse back in the day, it had a 5 horse Briggs alcohol engine on it and guess would flat out fly.....

VinsRJ

I put a foot throttle on my 857 project, I will have afoot throttle on all my non-RJ projects going forward, love it!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

So, a Senior with a foot pedal...

:think:  that'll be different Vin. 

• Like 1

VinsRJ

SR is going to shift on the fly...