Sign in to follow this  
srose3070

DextronII or Motor Oil

srose3070

I want to say thanks for all the help so far. The restore on the Workhorse is at a standstill until parts come (Transmission Seals), it should be this week. The Electro 12 is also awaiting parts (Head Gasket). I wondered while I am waiting I would ask a question in reference to the type fluid that the Electro 12 uses. It has Transmission fluid in it now pretty clean actually:) I have heard you can use motor oil and that the newer ones (After 72') did use motor oil. I remember reading you had to flush the system completely I am unsure as how to do this. It said in the literature the whole system had to be flushed before making the change. I gues my question would be is there an advantage to changing the type fluid to oil and if so what type 10w/40 20w/50? Also the process of flushing the system would be of particular interest. Any input would be appreciated on this as I am not sure how or if I should proceed with this change. Whew that was a mouthful. Does anyone have the torque specs for a K301 cylinder head? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

kj4kicks

Trying to convert it is a bad idea. If it had ATF in it before, keep it that way. Unless you're going to completely disassemble it, you'll never flush out everything.

srose3070

Sounds like good advice.

TT

Does anyone have the torque specs for a K301 cylinder head?

Lube bolt threads with engine oil (I use high temperature anti-seize instead) and torque @ 25-30 ft lbs in a "criss-cross" pattern starting in the center and working toward each end.

Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature, allow it to cool, and re-torque to the above specifications.

srose3070

Thank you both for the input. I will leave as is and change the fluid for now. I appreciate the specs.

linen beige

I'll enthusiastically second E's advice. You probably won't find Dexron II since it is no longer made, but Dexron III will work fine.