Fordiesel69

Need to get my M14 magnum hotter.........

Fordiesel69

It is 11 deg F outside and while plowing for an hour really working the engine, the crankcase is just warm.  You can hold your hand on it forever.  This is causing the oil to get gassy and have white milky look to it.  How can I get the engine hotter in this cold weather?  

AMC RULES

Image result for cardboard grill cover

:confusion-shrug: Maybe, enclose the sides with some cardboard to retain your engine's generated heat. 

Image result for cardboard grill cover

wallfish
8 minutes ago, Fordiesel69 said:

This is causing the oil to get gassy and have white milky look to it.

That white milky look to it usually indicates water in the oil. What do you mean by "gassy"? Fuel in the oil isn't good and if that's what is happening it probably isn't from running cool.

Running an engine lean will heat it up.

With all that freezing air blowing over the engine from the flywheel fan, it's going to run cooler in freezing temps.

• Like 1

Fordiesel69

Yes moisture in oil from not being hot enough to boil off.  Most plowing is 30-45 minutes which does not get the engine up to temp.  Even when working hard for an hour in these cold temps does not get it up to temp either.  Running an engine too cool is not a good thing.  Too cool also promotes unburned fuel making it by the rings, and into the oil.

Instead of using a grass flywheel screen, is there a different version that is blanked off more and has a small hole in the middle to be used only in cold operation?

shallowwatersailor

Do you still have 30W in the engine or are you using 10W30, per the engine manual, below 32 degrees F? Running at full rpm? Stored inside in a heated space? Blocking off the air flow would help but careful, as it still needs to be cooled.Somehow you are not boiling off the condensation.

pfrederi
8 hours ago, Fordiesel69 said:

Yes moisture in oil from not being hot enough to boil off.  Most plowing is 30-45 minutes which does not get the engine up to temp.  Even when working hard for an hour in these cold temps does not get it up to temp either.  Running an engine too cool is not a good thing.  Too cool also promotes unburned fuel making it by the rings, and into the oil.

Instead of using a grass flywheel screen, is there a different version that is blanked off more and has a small hole in the middle to be used only in cold operation?

You could experiment with a piece of aluminum flashing.  Cut it in a circle an inch or so less than the screen. Poke four holes in it to align with the screen holes and put it on.  I would be very careful and check the temperature frequently....running cold is not great but running too hot can really screw things up

• Thanks 1

Desko

Switch to an onan those things never run cool LOL but I agree I'd fab something up to go over the fly wheel screen with slots on it but big enough to give it 75% volume of air flow that should warm things up. I know plowing with the D160 or snow blowing with the 416 gets them hot. The blower used to really work the GT1142 and in addition to that and mowing ultimately put an end to the 11hp briggs tho so onan 20hp swap in it. 

Forest Road

An old friend has a C101 he purchased new, around 1980. Used it for plowing & lawn care in Maine for years. I'm sure he rarely changed the oil on time. That rusted out relic is still running strong. 

I'd stick w good oil and do what you have to plow