giddyap

V drive pulley for 13 hp Predator?

Achto

@giddyap I think it's looking great so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!  Here's a pic of my Rat Rod to help keep you motivated. :D

DSCN1060-min.thumb.JPG.af1023bb85c136066fda335ad114fe67.JPG

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, giddyap said:

Hey ebinmaine,

I appreciate the babble.

Today I officially reunited with my tractor and enjoyed working on her all day long.

EXCELLENT

Seems like what you wrote could be true. Which raises the question, Are you in the mental

I'M SOMETHING MENTAL,  YES. .....

health business, a shrink, or do you just play one on the internet? Could it be, we are birds of the same feather,

FOR YOUR SAKE SIR, I HOPE NOT :ROTF:

not normal and not quite on center?

I am very lucky to run into a bunch of guys not only willing to share their expertise but have a genuine interest in my project. Really don't know where my interests will take me next but while I'm here I became a supporter to show my appreciation. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Can't wait until she's done because I'm not credible saying she is almost done. lol  Pictures next post 

NICE! 

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Haha 1

giddyap

Hey ebinmaine,

Yep,

Mental must be the reason why U R 2 funny. 

Some pictures as promised. I cut the original fenders and joined them with fiberglass and then bondo overlay

Haven't decided on colors, but yellow would be great under the red. 

DSC02499.JPG

DSC02496.JPG

• Like 5

giddyap

Achto,  

Wheelies, my wife says is that the reason I'm doing this? Well, yah!

I mounted 26x12-12 on standard wide rims only because 12" wide wheels were too wide. Might work out for the best because with a skinning footprint I will be able to peel out, throw dirt and wheel stand. Heck, I'm just guessing, I can't comprehend the power but your ride is really impressive. I will be modifying mine after I get it going. Remove the governor, add gas pedal, kill switch, clean up the brake and maybe a go-kart centrifuge clutch. Then I'm hauling it around town giving acquaintances a chance for a thrill ride. People don't appreciate our hobby including my brother, I hope to change that. I might even get a new trailer just to show off. One other thing, I always give over the road truck drivers a good L@@K whenever I haul a tractor.   

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

As a trucker. .... I'll say.... thanks !!

giddyap
33 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

As a trucker. .... I'll say.... thanks !!

You're welcome, BTW I don't sit in your blind spot for miles when passing. Both my dad and brother drove so I may be among the few who respect your profession. My bro has been retired for a year, this will be his birthday present come March. 

DSC02500.JPG

• Excellent 4

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, giddyap said:

birthday present

DSC02500.JPG

Love it !

Achto
7 hours ago, giddyap said:

I will be modifying mine after I get it going. Remove the governor, add gas pedal, kill switch, clean up the brake and maybe a go-kart centrifuge clutch.

I saw in on of your pics that you had added a free flow air cleaner. I did this on mine also, I ended up buying a set of small numbered drill bits so that I could resize the main jet. Before i resized the jet it would not run right unless the choke was on. If you remove the governor please keep in mind that the stock Predator fly wheel is only rated for 5000RPMs, you risk having it fly apart past that. Fun is fun, but I don't want to see any one get hurt.

The 6.5 Predator in mine is built to take 7000RPMs except for the fly wheel, ( that's where the money ran out on the build :confusion-shrug: ). For this reason I've kept the governor on mine. I can still pull the front tires off the ground using only throttle, no need to pop the clutch.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

giddyap

Ultra Sunoco and two pulls and she's alive, but not moving. Wrong belts I believe. The long belt with the WH pulleys is 1/2" wide. The engine pulleys are wider and I used a 5/8 wide belt. In all honesty of the many belts I now own, these were the right length so I gave them a try hoping for the best. Epic fail because there was still power with the clutch pushed in. 

DSC02508.JPG

DSC02506.JPG

DSC02505.JPG

DSC02504.JPG

DSC02503.JPG

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Try. Try again. 

Keep us posted. 

Curious to see the solution.....

giddyap

My buddy was in my area and picked up an RJ and Suburban. They were kinda odd, the one with a suburban axle had a bolt together trans and cut off hood (no round dash). The other had the straight axle smooth hood with the plain rounded section but no transaxle. He had a WH reel mower and accepted some of my parts for a moldboard plow that came along with the tractors. 

He also gave me a few ideas for the one problem preventing my inaugural ride. Photo when I can figure how to post. 

Edited by giddyap
  • Like 2

giddyap

This photo goes to post #61       RJ -Suburban and modified Suburban

IMG_20180219_145244194 (1).jpg

Edited by giddyap
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:        The RJ would be a 1955 or 1956 and the Suburban would be a 1960 or 1961.

Your Hot Rod is lookin Goooood!

• Thanks 1

giddyap
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-coolphotos:        The RJ would be a 1955 or 1956 and the Suburban would be a 1960 or 1961.

Your Hot Rod is lookin Goooood

Thank-you! 

Still playing around with the belts. Can't shift with them moving. The long belt is 1/2" wide and could be the problem''. IF a 3/8 wide belt does the same thing, I'll just get a go kart centrifugal clutch 

DSC02515.JPG

wallfish

The belt needs to be supported on the bottom, right below the front pulley at about the 7:00 position. Another thing is the belt needs to be loose enough to allow it to slip around the pulley.

Try this, with the trans in neutral, tie down the clutch pedal down in the "pushed position" to simulate you pushing it with your foot. Start the engine. Now use a phillips head screwdriver to support the bottom of the belt loop right below the pulley and move it around slightly to find that "sweet spot" where it will allow the belt to slip on the pulley. Once you find it, that's where you need to attach a support to hit that area of the belt. The easiest support is a piece of 3/16" or 1/4" rod bent into an "L" shape with a "U" on the long end, so you can bolt it to the frame. This will allow some adjustment so you can fine tune it and easily lock it down in the right spot.

5a8d6e2dd0ae8_beltslip.jpg.607a7fe0dca49bbbd67abab113c2cbbf.jpg

Hope I'm not over explaining this

• Excellent 5

Achto
8 hours ago, wallfish said:

The belt needs to be supported on the bottom, right below the front pulley at about the 7:00 position. Another thing is the belt needs to be loose enough to allow it to slip around the pulley.

I agree the addition of what I call belt brakes need to be added. Adding a flat piece of metal over the top of the pulley circled in yellow on the lower picture will also serve as a belt brake. Take a piece of sheet metal about 1" wide. Bend a 90 degree angle in it and bolt it on using the same bolt that holds the pulley on. When mounted the metal should clear the top of the belt on the pulley by 1/16" to 1/8". I made mine using a flat piece of metal & some round stock but a flat piece with a 90 bent in it would be much easier. Also note the belt brakes near the drive pulley, these give the out side of the belt some thing to rub on and stop the belt when tension is released.

IMG_20160213_170529330.jpg.e327d6adca599e78ddd4edea7e910585.jpg

It also looks like you have constant tension on the pulley arm that I have circled in white. Your clutch pulley appears to be the one circled in yellow. If this is set up the way it appears, the pulley circled in white will continue to add belt tension after the pulley circled in yellow releases the tension. This will not allow the belt to loosen. Correct me if my observation is wrong.DSC02508_JPG_156ff4c9371b6ad95728b931fb392cb3.jpg.0e02b93048cb51906626b4babb361a24.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 3

giddyap

I'm using the spring loaded idler pulley because the belt is too long. Before buying another belt, I tried wallfish's schematics but with the idler pulley.... it failed. See photos. Desperate to ride I stopped the belt with my shoe and found first to be very fast at idle plus. But third at the same rpms bogged down and stopped the engine. The foot brake is effective but before the next test, a better one will be installed and I will also explore a kill switch.

The long for test ride shows me there is power to spare, a lot of power! and so I think a centrifugal clutch / foot throttle is the way to go. Of course, this will be another 2 steps back and the belts will be an issue again. so close yet so far and so much fun.

DSC02532.JPG

DSC02535.JPG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, giddyap said:

. so close yet so far and so much fun

Fun..... the part that counts the most !

• Like 1

giddyap

I just scored this trailer frame for $75. But on my way to get it, I stopped and bought one of these metal shelves which measures 1/8" x 42" x 96" for $60. The beauty of these two separate pieces by two sellers is that they make almost a perfect fit. It gets better because I plan to cut off 20 inches which will become two 10" x 42" ramps.The platform will be 12" longer than the length of my Hot Rod Tractor and cover 4" of the A section. In the morning I will post my own photos.     

00M0M_6uXWzssk0Fk_1200x900.jpg

Edited by giddyap
  • Like 2

giddyap

This morning I've been playing with my new toy and assessing how far I go and at what cost. I will definitely build it, wire it, and add Cub Cadet fenders. I will have less than 175 in it, But I don't like the high profile and changing that would be an additional 250/300. Instead, I may just sell it

DSC02583.JPG

DSC02584.JPG

• Confused 1

Achto
42 minutes ago, giddyap said:

But I don't like the high profile

Could you move the axle so that it sits on top of the springs, instead of under the springs like it is now? This would drop your deck height at least a few inches. At probably $0.

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 2

giddyap

No matter how confused I am about keeping the trailer, flipping the 250+ lb bed by myself took some brainstorming. I'm impressed, in the huge difference it makes. The wiring is next so I can see how she pulls and where I go from there.  

DSC02591.JPG

DSC02595.JPG

• Like 3

giddyap

I thought the jackshaft was complicated then I had to put the throttle linkage together. I was defeated several times and seriously thought about parking it in the woods, out of my sight. Here is my initial ride, bugs and all. Still, much work is ahead to get it running  the way I want   

20180313094646.mp4

• Excellent 1

wallfish

Can you post some pics of the pulley setup, the way it is now?

giddyap
43 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Can you post some pics of the pulley setup, the way it is now?

DSC02731.JPG

DSC02733.JPG

DSC02735.JPG

DSC02736.JPG

• Like 1