Big_Red_Fred

Lake affect Snow Storms

Big_Red_Fred

Allright all You Red Square Northern Pa & Buffalo Ny:wh: ! Whats Kickn the snow from OLD MAN Winter  ?  520 & a 2 stage, D-Series, Lets hear it, share some of it with us Central Pa Guys who's itching for some seat time !

• Like 2

Pollack Pete
2 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Lake ...effect , Sir .

I'm about 7 miles south of Buffalo 

And my 1966 re-powered Ariens keeps me moving freely even through the SEVEN feet that fell in 3 days here in 2014 .

1qtsGRV.jpg

VQjB1Ov.jpg

Now that's when Ariens made a good snow blower.Had a 7-24 that was a 1971 or 72.Seven  horse Tecumseh was getting a little tired.Bought a new Ariens Deluxe 24 late last Winter.Last year used it 2 or 3 times.Old man like me likes the electric start.Go to use it last week......electric starter sounded like it had gravel in it.Had to use the Armstrong starter.Took the electric starter off when we finished blowing out the dog pen.Starter was full of rust and the brushes were hanging up.Cleaned it out and lubed things up.Put a bead of silicone sealer on the starter halves when it went back together.I knew it was a mistake to get rid of the old Ariens.And........you guys can have all that white crap.

• Like 4

squonk

First pic was from Wednesday. 2 miles south from this no snow. 6 miles north another six inches. There was about 3 on the ground. :banana-skier:

5a477f2eeff29_snow001.JPG.373202c481db2167f4e04df53f916fb1.JPG

2nd and 3rd pics on Thursday at a school farther south. just getting the fringe of lake snow. :banana-skier:

5a477f3a55f2b_snow002.JPG.48616d380cd86429e616c4a72b90e2a8.JPG  5a477f47a5a91_snow003.JPG.9dcf1d7f7628930318980ae264c5c5d0.JPG  

• Like 4

Sarge

At the levels that Erie and Buffalo get - that would be time to move south or own a heavy front end loader and one of those monster self-powered blowers . It would be cheaper to move south , lol...

I'm surprised we haven't seen more action stuff from members around those areas - maybe no one on here lives there ?

Sarge

• Like 1

Adams94

We have 6-7" here, no huge deal but I am prepared for more though.

IMG_1044.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

• Like 3

pfrederi

So far this year we have a total of less than 4".. i plowed once ...more for practice and make sure she was ready than need

• Like 4

Adams94
23 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

So far this year we have a total of less than 4".. i plowed once ...more for practice and make sure she was ready than need

I'm with ya, I really haven't had to plow but I have several times.  Once the road had a 1ft and a half drift half way across so I plowed that back-no problems lol

squonk
1 hour ago, Sarge said:

At the levels that Erie and Buffalo get - that would be time to move south or own a heavy front end loader and one of those monster self-powered blowers . It would be cheaper to move south , lol...

I'm surprised we haven't seen more action stuff from members around those areas - maybe no one on here lives there ?

Sarge

Digger is right in the middle of it. Where I live I'm far enough from Ontario plus my elevation we don't get a lot of lake effect. I can watch the weather models of the bands on TV and you'd swear there was a dome over my house. Things have to be just right for me to get a lot of lake snows.

Now where I used to live and where I have to work is another matter. The 2nd 2 pics I took were at my old high school. It's about 25 miles south of Ontario. I do have to travel to several schools along the shore of Ontario and the Rt 104 corridor and they get blasted. If we are planning on going to a job we have to check to make sure the school is even open to get in. 

Big_Red_Fred

Well My son Alex called, the 1054 did all the work with 4 inches today, he wasn't impressed with the single stage blower on the 414-8 said it threw it 2 to 3 foot, hes gonna hook to 416-8 to see if any better, the d200 didnt start, he forgot to put trickle charger on & cold drained it. The Ole 1054 fired right up and kicked the snow up oldman winters skirt 

• Like 1

19richie66

Pretty rough one here today. Just sayin.......

IMG_5920.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Big_Red_Fred
46 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

IMG_5920.JPG

Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Smarty hahahaha

• Haha 1

squonk
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

IMG_5920.JPG

What ya waiting for? Get a blower and have at those drifts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cee245

I think most of us here in the Erie PA area are too busy clearing all the snow to take a lot of pictures! 

Here are a few

Cory 

20171230_104144.jpg

20171230_104130.jpg

20171229_202134.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

wallfish
5 hours ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Well My son Alex called, the 1054 did all the work with 4 inches today, he wasn't impressed with the single stage blower on the 414-8 said it threw it 2 to 3 foot, hes gonna hook to 416-8 to see if any better, the d200 didnt start, he forgot to put trickle charger on & cold drained it. The Ole 1054 fired right up and kicked the snow up oldman winters skirt 

Let Alex know he needs to get that blower loaded up with snow. Speed up the ground speed until the engine just starts to chug from the load on it. Throwing 2-3 ft is an indication it's not getting loaded up enough or something is slipping like the belt or PTO.

The 16hp will definitely be a better machine for a blower since you want as much hp as you can put behind it. It's not completely necessary but makes a difference.

• Like 4

Big_Red_Fred
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Let Alex know he needs to get that blower loaded up with snow. Speed up the ground speed until the engine just starts to chug from the load on it. Throwing 2-3 ft is an indication it's not getting loaded up enough or something is slipping like the belt or PTO.

The 16hp will definitely be a better machine for a blower since you want as much hp as you can put behind it. It's not completely necessary but makes a difference.

Thanks Wallfish, i got him on the phone & read what you wrote to him, I also said he needs to sign up on RS, he said he needs a new laptop, LOL, there goes my 314-8 i found tonite for 400 with a deck & plow LOL

Alright Dick hahahaha, here's my shoulder

• Sad 1

Cee245

Here is a pic taken from my driveway after the Latest snow removal. Near Erie PA. 

The 416h did good. Have most of the little things fixed now. 

Cory

20171230_193640.jpg

• Like 3

Big_Red_Fred
11 hours ago, Cee245 said:

Here is a pic taken from my driveway after the Latest snow removal. Near Erie PA. 

The 416h did good. Have most of the little things fixed now. 

Cory

20171230_193640.jpg

Did you use a Single or Dual Stage ? Thats sweet, Great Job ! Alex has a 516 Onan, would that make a Difference with the Single Stage ? Yes he also has a 416-8 to, i will get him a Dual Stage soon

Cee245

It is a single stage. The 2 stage that my brother uses is much nicer. 

I don't think there would be much difference between a 516h and a 416h as far as snowblower performance.

Cory

mrc

hi pollack pete, that restored ariens blower looks fantastic!!!  you da man!!!  mike in mass  OOOPS... i just realized the restored ariens sno-thro snowblower  belongs to digger 66. sorry about that.  mike in mass.

Edited by mrc

WNYPCRepair
23 hours ago, Sarge said:

Sarge

We've only gotten about a foot so far, 2 to 3 inches at a time. We don't get excited about a little snow here, unless it is dumping a foot or more at a time, and even then, it's just an inconvenience. :)

I was not able to get my blower on this year due to my broken ankle, so hopefully the dozer blade can handle whatever we get this year. 

5a48f77702ca7_ScreenShot2017-12-31at9_42_15AM.png.b8cd374b6141c80a5b9e0c4b44f83404.png

Big_Red_Fred
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

We've only gotten about a foot so far, 2 to 3 inches at a time. We don't get excited about a little snow here, unless it is dumping a foot or more at a time, and even then, it's just an inconvenience. :)

I was not able to get my blower on this year due to my broken ankle, so hopefully the dozer blade can handle whatever we get this year. 

5a48f77702ca7_ScreenShot2017-12-31at9_42_15AM.png.b8cd374b6141c80a5b9e0c4b44f83404.png

The plow should do the job, my son used the 1054 with a plow, his 414-8 hardly thru the snow & his D200 was dead hahaha, i told him to keep the trickle chargers going, Cee245 said to use either his 416-8 0r 516H for more power

• Like 1

Sarge

I just stuffed a big AGM car battery in my D - no trickle needed and it will fire or kill something regardless of the temps...lol . I'm done with U1 L&G batteries - they are a waste of money .

I think you folks in Erie need bigger equipment - or a moving van...lol .

Sarge

• Like 1

mrc

hi all, a few posts above i thought the absolutely beautiful ariens sno-thro belonged to pollack pete. after reviewing this thread i realize it belongs to digger 66.  fantastic looking snowblower. totally old school. how long did it take you to restore it? it looks like new.  you da man digger 66!  happy new year mike in mass.

Digger 66
46 minutes ago, mrc said:

hi all, a few posts above i thought the absolutely beautiful ariens sno-thro belonged to pollack pete. after reviewing this thread i realize it belongs to digger 66.  fantastic looking snowblower. totally old school. how long did it take you to restore it? it looks like new.  you da man digger 66!  happy new year mike in mass.

Answered your PM .